Buying second hand sails

Girtbysea

Visit site
Hi, wondering if it’s worth the hassle and potential lack of sail shape inherent in buying used sails (which will need to be altered) for a Fisher 31 sloop?
How much are new Dacron sails for a 34 footer (roller and in mast furling) - would £5,000 usually cover it?? Thanks in advance!

V1701

Visit site
Hi & welcome to the forum,

I think that's probably around the right ballpark but ask for a few quotes. Crusader and a few others maybe? The boat being a motorsailer anyway I'd be tempted to eke out the use of the sails that you already have before replacing them. Second hand might be worth considering, or perhaps replace one at a time? There's one second hand sail seller that has a very poor reputation which I can't remember the name of at the moment, I'll post again if I do...

There's one second hand sail seller that has a very poor reputation which I can't remember the name of at the moment, I'll post again if I do...
Exchange Sails - I believe they are owned and run by Westaway sails (same address certainly). I had a really bad experience with them a few years ago, and wouldn't now touch with a barge pole. If you do decide to buy from them, pay by credit card - after months of being messed around, I finally got my money back via the credit card company.

Frayed Knot

Visit site
Exchange Sails - I believe they are owned and run by Westaway sails (same address certainly). I had a really bad experience with them a few years ago, and wouldn't now touch with a barge pole. If you do decide to buy from them, pay by credit card - after months of being messed around, I finally got my money back via the credit card company.
Agreed. Exchange sails are seriously bad news; if you search on here you’ll find many tales of woe. I stupidly did so only after parting with my money. After 6 or 8 weeks, & countless broken promises, I eventually received a very shabby, heavily used sail which was rated as vgc.

upcountry2

Visit site

Me too, absolute nightmare.......

Pete7

Visit site
Hi, wondering if it’s worth the hassle and potential lack of sail shape inherent in buying used sails (which will need to be altered) for a Fisher 31 sloop?
How much are new Dacron sails for a 34 footer (roller and in mast furling) - would £5,000 usually cover it?? Thanks in advance!

I would hope you could get both for a 31ft yacht for about £3000, I did. But only if you are quick as the worlds wakes up in the Spring and everyone wants their sails now. Your biggest problem might be choosing a sail material. I found this useful to avoid the cheap stuff.

Sanders Sails: Materials | Sailmaking, Sailmakers, Yacht Marine Upholstery, Dinghies, Boat Design | Lymington, South Coast, Hampshire

wilkinsonsails

Visit site
Sounds a bit high for a Fisher 31 ,shouldn’t need anything to sophisticated.

www.highwatersails.com
I agree with the above comment of under £3000, I had a real quick look at the specs and estimated around there.

Second hand sails can work, but you must check carefully what you are buying. Often they are for sale as stated above because they have been replaced so you must ensure they are not going to require any major repairs in the near future and that they will fit with only minor modifications. With in mast mainsails it is often somewhat more risky as if it is old and stretches you might quickly discover furling issues.

RupertW

Visit site
I had a great experience buying a used genoa for my 12m boat for less than 200 quid. I wanted a throwaway but decent nick genoa for goosewinged tradewind sailing so happy with something that was too baggy to go well to windward.

Alfie168

Visit site
I remember the pride and ego boost I got from a brand new set of sails for my Enterprise Dinghy. Did I finish any further up the fleet....er nope..:rolleyes:..but I'd still go the extra mile and buy new if it was at all possible and I could sneak the expense past SWMBO ;)

Other than that, if buying used I suppose you really have to go and look at the sail. Sellers descriptions and even photos can never replace having it spread out to have a look at the fabric quality/condition, the stretch, the chafes and repairs. It all depends what you want it for and how much you want to spend.

Lightwave395

Visit site
I bought a furling headsail secondhand from Jeckells a couple of years ago. Cost £500 and apart from it being slightly shorter on the luff than full height (which I knew ) its a very nice cruising sail originally made by Incidences in La Rochelle

Girtbysea

Visit site
I would hope you could get both for a 31ft yacht for about £3000, I did. But only if you are quick as the worlds wakes up in the Spring and everyone wants their sails now. Your biggest problem might be choosing a sail material. I found this useful to avoid the cheap stuff.

Sanders Sails: Materials | Sailmaking, Sailmakers, Yacht Marine Upholstery, Dinghies, Boat Design | Lymington, South Coast, Hampshire
That’s a really clear explanation of sail cloth and cut - thanks

Girtbysea

Visit site
Very good to know - I had seen them online!

Girtbysea

Visit site
I had a great experience buying a used genoa for my 12m boat for less than 200 quid. I wanted a throwaway but decent nick genoa for goosewinged tradewind sailing so happy with something that was too baggy to go well to windward.
I think for a spare Genoa or cruising zero or spinnaker, second hand might be ok as they have probably spent their life in a bag!!! I’ll stick to new for the working sails and will go main then Genoa I think...

Girtbysea

Visit site
I remember the pride and ego boost I got from a brand new set of sails for my Enterprise Dinghy. Did I finish any further up the fleet....er nope..:rolleyes:..but I'd still go the extra mile and buy new if it was at all possible and I could sneak the expense past SWMBO ;)

Other than that, if buying used I suppose you really have to go and look at the sail. Sellers descriptions and even photos can never replace having it spread out to have a look at the fabric quality/condition, the stretch, the chafes and repairs. It all depends what you want it for and how much you want to spend.
Yep clean and crisp... I got the boat cost past the boss; new sails and a sneaky chart plotter might be pushing it!

Daydream believer

Visit site
Hyde sails are not as expensive as one might think, if you do not go for the top of the range. Made in the Philippines, but they own the loft, so it is all under their control & they make good sails.
They will also come to the boat & take the measurements & discuss the sail with you first. That is an important plus.

Girtbysea

Visit site
That’s good to hear. Obviously would prefer to support a local sail loft, but they would still get the repair and refitting work here... and my wallet will be the decider

Pete7

Visit site
Yep clean and crisp... I got the boat cost past the boss; new sails and a sneaky chart plotter might be pushing it!
Nearly got away with it. Finished work early to collect personally from the sailmaker. Then dropped the sail on board. Plan was good until sailmaker sent a copy of the receipt in the mail which she opened :rolleyes: