Buying from Palma

ST840

Visit site
I've seen a boat in Palma that on paper looks like it will tick all the boxes for our next upgrade.
What is the proper process to purchase from there? Who's the best to transport the boat back to the UK? What's the best way to transfer funds and get the best rate of exchange? Any recommended surveyors out there?
I take it the import duty will be 20%? And how and when does this get paid? Do I pay once imported or before?
All helpful tips and experiences will be welcomed. Thanks.

dustywings

Visit site
We bought our SQ58 from Palma, Coast2Coast brought it back for us but we did have to steam it to Barcelona (Port Forum) first. As many on here we thought they were excellent.

As for payment try Transfer Wise (now just Wise), easy and great rates.

As for paying the VAT, I cant help as we brought ours back before Brexit!! I guess you just contact HMRC though who will no doubt be happy to take your money.

Last edited:

ST840

Visit site
We bought our SQ58 from Palma, Coast2Coast brought it back for us but we did have to steam it to Barcelona (Port Forum) first. As many on here we thought they were excellent.

As for payment try Transfer Wise (now just Wise), easy and great rates.

As for paying the VAT, I cant help as we brought ours back before Brexit!! I guess you just contact HMRC though who will no doubt be happy to take your money.
Is there anything else I should be aware of? Did you instruct an agar t to handle the sale or did you do it all yourselves? This would be through a well know brokers, so I guess it would be pretty straight forward?

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Is there anything else I should be aware of? Did you instruct an agar t to handle the sale or did you do it all yourselves? This would be through a well know brokers, so I guess it would be pretty straight forward?
The UK equivalent of RCD II.

If the boat predates RCD II find out if you will need to get it certified to the UK equivalent of RCD II - which might be a right royal pain for pre RCD II engines which don't meet the newer emissions standards.

ST840

Visit site
The UK equivalent of RCD II.

If the boat predates RCD II find out if you will need to get it certified to the UK equivalent of RCD II - which might be a right royal pain for pre RCD II engines which don't meet the newer emissions standards.
The boat has a 2008 VP D4.

dustywings

Visit site
We didn't use an agent but had a great broker handling the sale, Nigel Wales at Arrival Yachts who was very helpful.

Just make sure you have your transport ready as soon as you purchase as keeping a boat in Palma for any length of time is not cheap!

Tranona

Visit site
But then I'll never use it. I live on the Solent not Spain!
Then buy a boat already here! Does not make sense to buy a boat so far away and pay shipping and VAT unless it is super cheap or so unusual you have to have it!

The procedure for bringing the boat into the UK is here www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-8-sailing-your-pleasure-craft-to-and-from-the-uk although it says "sailing" into UK the rules are essentially the same for importing by truck except that you will probably need an agent to handle the import. Customs may well try to value the boat for VAT purposes including your transport costs on top of what you paid for the boat.

As already mentioned the boat will need recertifying and probably the engines are not to the latest spec - certification is against current rules, not when the boat was built.

Best advice is to sort this thoroughly - the RYA will give you advice - before you commit to buying the boat

ST840

Visit site
Then buy a boat already here! Does not make sense to buy a boat so far away and pay shipping and VAT unless it is super cheap or so unusual you have to have it!
If I could find something that inspired me in the UK and at the budget I've got then I would. This one is unusual, but perfect for my needs. And it gets my pulse racing.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
As already mentioned the boat will need recertifying and probably the engines are not to the latest spec - certification is against current rules, not when the boat was built.

Best advice is to sort this thoroughly - the RYA will give you advice - before you commit to buying the boat
I will highlight this again, because this can be a real show stopper as well as just being a PITA.

Tranona

Visit site
Have you got any links that describe this requirement?
It is implicit in the Recreational Craft Regulations (2017) which come into effect for imports of used boats on 1/1/2022 (up until then CE marks are acceptable).

To find out what is specifically required for the boat in question it makes sense (as suggested in post#11) to get advice from the RYA and a firm such as CE proof as to exactly what is required.

Tranona

Visit site
If I could find something that inspired me in the UK and at the budget I've got then I would. This one is unusual, but perfect for my needs. And it gets my pulse racing.
Every Thursday night I watch an episode of Captain Q Yachthunter which reviews boats available for sale on the NE coast of the US. I drool over what I could buy there - not least the one in the last episode, which I could buy for a fraction of what a similar boat (if you could find one) would cost in Europe or UK. I could even stomach the shipping and VAT BUT not a chance it would meet the certification requirements.

Sometimes one has to accept that you simply can't have what you would like!