Buying boat with no sailing experience. How feasible is my plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seivadnehpets

www.schnark.home.blog
Well, battling raging seas is one thing, slipping is another.

Given that people can do it, its what I'm going to do. I've said this several time. Youtubers do it all the time. Why do you have this need to control my behaviour?

As the discussion about safety harnesses was pretty short lived and unproductive and we're back to the broken record again I'm done with this thread at least for the time being.
Dear Doge,
I've dipped in and out of this thread, and I think I can see where you're coming from. I also have no car, live some way from the sea, I have a good appetite for risk, but I don't have sailing in my blood except for a great grandfather who escaped 2000 miles across the Indian Ocean after his steam ship sank.
I might not be as determined at crossing oceans as you, but last year I set my heart on a knackered Fantasie 19 that I saw on ebay for sale up on the west coast of Scotland. I was saved by the pandemic, but somehow I ended up crewing for an old lady in a vintage 33' Swedish boat on a crossing to N.Ireland and then up to Isla and Jura.
That was a lesson and a half. I had been dreaming of cruising around the inner hebrides visiting Colonsay and Jura from Loch Linnhe, using the outboard only in and out of port, and carrying very little fuel. I had miss calculated the achievable speed enormously. In the larger, faster boat, we could only occasionally drop the iron top sail as sail power alone would not see us into port before bedtime. I would still like to sail the Western Isles engineless, but I would need crew, as we'd need to sail round the clock.
I know this is not the kind of sailing you have in mind, I expect you are zooming out on windfinder and you are right, if you can get your boat in the stream you'll be sure to get there, and out on the open ocean who needs to keep watch?...
But my experience was a narrow escape from what would almost certainly have been an embarrassing disaster, even if I'd never got as far as actual danger.
Do yourself a favour, make time, sail in company and build some experience.

Doge

Visit site
I saw a Tarka video where they said they didn't have insurance and they seemed to be able to go into marinas. So now I'm thinking I wont get insurance either.

Doge

Visit site
Anyway.. Back to serious posting about real risks.

How do you guys protect yourselves from pirates? Once I'm through Patagonia my intention is to spend my time in Oceania and East Asia, so I'll be around Indonesia which I gather is a bit of a pirate hotspot. Many posts I've read on other forums suggest pump action shotguns with buck shot as the fighting will probably be at close quarters. But I was thinking that dual uzis might be better? Also, could pirates be stopped at a distance with a sniper rifle? A few shots below the waterline should sink them right?

Where should I register my boat to be able to legally have the most guns? US?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.