Buying boat with no sailing experience. How feasible is my plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seastoke

Visit site
I could also sell the sailboat. It wouldn't be the end of the world. When I buy the boat I'll move to the coast and live on it. In order to do as you suggest I'd have to move to the coast and rent somewhere while I practiced on a tender. It wouldn't really be economical.

If it doesn't work out I'll either buy a canal boat or maybe take the mast down and sail it up a river to a lake or something.
Very strange.

Doge

Visit site
Did u get sick when u navigated Windermere.

Not at all. It was in one of those cheap two man blue and yellow inflatables. The plastic rowlock things started coming off when I was about half way. I watched them tear a little more with each stroke feeling I could rip the boat and sink at any moment. Feeling sick just wasn't on my mind.

Last edited:

Doge

Visit site
It was quite fun actually. I was about 14 and there with my family. I'd just blown up the boat when my family decided that they wanted to go somewhere else around the lake. I was unhappy because I would have to deflate the boat to put it back in the car so said that they should drive there and I'd row and meet them. They knew I was a strong enough swimmer to not be in any danger. When the rowlocks started ripping though I thought it through and realised that if I were to sink I would end up in a field, soaking wet and with no shoes, because they were in the car. So I'm glad I didn't sink because it would have been a bit of a predicament if I had.

Last edited:

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
It was quite fun actually. I was about 14 and there with my family. I'd just blown up the boat when my family decided that they wanted to go somewhere else around the lake. I was unhappy because I would have to deflate the boat to put it back in the car so said that they should drive there and I'd row and meet them. They knew I was a strong enough swimmer to not be in any danger. When the rowlocks started ripping though I thought it through and realised that if I were to sink I would end up in a field, soaking wet and with no shoes, because they were in the car. So I'm glad I didn't sink because it would have been a bit of a predicament if I had.

Did you have a life jacket on? If you didn’t, you might not realise how close you were to finding out about your mortality. Windermere water temperature can get up to 15 C but is usually colder and even at 15C you lose dexterity in 15 minutes or so and survival time is shorter than you think!

I admire your positive approach to your proposed project. But those of us who have been there and done it might be trying to be helpful when we ask what you interpret as negative questions.

Doge

Visit site
Did you have a life jacket on? If you didn’t, you might not realise how close you were to finding out about your mortality. Windermere water temperature can get up to 15 C but is usually colder and even at 15C you lose dexterity in 15 minutes or so and survival time is shorter than you think!

I admire your positive approach to your proposed project. But those of us who have been there and done it might be trying to be helpful when we ask what you interpret as negative questions.
And if you read back in the threat you'll notice that I said that I was always the one in the sea when it was too cold for anyone else. I'd be the lone head bobbing up and down in the waves with nobody else visible and few people even on the beach. It was a bit of a running joke in my family. I found this remains true in Japan when me and some friends were diving for seaweed. Seaweed is best in early spring so the water was cold. Others were struggling in full wetsuits while I was just chilling. I don't actually know why this is but it is the case. My best guess is that my body adapted when I was young. The North sea is pretty chilly in spring.

As I keep saying. I know my self very well. It probably comes across like I'm showing off or something but telling me that I need a life jacket to be on water that I could have swam to without trouble just isn't true for me. How would you even swim in a jacket designed to keep you vertical? People swim in Windermere all the time. I sawm two miles when I was 11. A mile more than anyone else at my school.

cherod

Visit site
And if you read back in the threat you'll notice that I said that I was always the one in the sea when it was too cold for anyone else. I'd be the lone head bobbing up and down in the waves with nobody else visible and few people even on the beach. It was a bit of a running joke in my family. I found this remains true in Japan when me and some friends were diving for seaweed. Seaweed is best in early spring so the water was cold. Others were struggling in full wetsuits while I was just chilling. I don't actually know why this is but it is the case. My best guess is that my body adapted when I was young. The North sea is pretty chilly in spring.

As I keep saying. I know my self very well. It probably comes across like I'm showing off or something but telling me that I need a life jacket to be on water that I could have swam to without trouble just isn't true for me. How would you even swim in a jacket designed to keep you vertical? People swim in Windermere all the time. I sawm two miles when I was 11. A mile more than anyone else at my school.
I dint understand why you feel you have to keep justifying yourself , the world is now run by the “ yellow vest “ brigade , just ignore them and get on and do whatever it is that you are wanting to or feel that you can do .

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com

If I really thought you knew what you were talking about I’d worry

dunedin

Visit site
Many people with no previous sailing experience have successfully bought a boat and gone cruising. But mental attitude and openness to learning are essential attributes, as is grabbing opportunities to gain early experience and learn from others on their boats.

Kelpie

Visit site
To play devil's advocate, the OP has stuck around longer than most of these "I've seen a YouTube video and now I'm going to buy a boat and sail round the world please tell me what boat to buy" types.
I'm not entirely convinced the whole thing isn't just a windup by a bored forumite ?

Status
Not open for further replies.