Buying a none taxed boat

TheNovice

Visit site
Hi, I am interested in buying a boat in the med. I have read up a lot on the new rules about the 18 months for boats not taxed in the EU. If they are EU taxed it is not a problem if they are not then you can stay 18 months.

Does this apply to a none eu residents boat if the boat is not taxed anywhere? Can I buy a boat in Greece, not tax it at all, register it in the UK with SSR and sail freely around the med and North Africa taking it out of the EU every 18 months?

Thanks in advance I just want to make sure before I get in to a taxed or none taxed med boat.

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
You will have to pay vat if you are EU resident.
If you are UK resident then you may be better off buying vat free. Then you will then have 18 months tax free which can be extended by a night outside EU.

My own boat is SSR but not VAT paid anywhere. I don't see the 18 month VAT limit as an issue.
90 day limit is more restrictive.

TheNovice

Visit site
You will have to pay vat if you are EU resident.
If you are UK resident then you may be better off buying vat free. Then you will then have 18 months tax free which can be extended by a night outside EU.

My own boat is SSR but not VAT paid anywhere. I don't see the 18 month VAT limit as an issue.
90 day limit is more restrictive.

Okay so I won't have to have it taxed anywhere at all? I will have to just register it in the UK and job done? Does this also count for Gibraltar and British over seas?

Thanks!

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
You can only register a boat on the SSR if you are a UK resident.
You can only use the EU Temporary Admission scheme and keep a non-EU VAT paid boat in the EU for 18 months if you are not an EU resident.

Where do you live?

TheNovice

Visit site
You can only register a boat on the SSR if you are a UK resident.
You can only use the EU Temporary Admission scheme and keep a non-EU VAT paid boat in the EU for 18 months if you are not an EU resident.

Where do you live?
I live in the UK, British born and bread. So that allows me to have a none vat taxed boat from what I've read?

syvictoria

Visit site
As was mentioned in passing above, don't overlook the fact that you (as a UK citizen) can only stay in the Schengen area for 90/180 days (I suspect that you already know this as you've mentioned north Africa in your OP). France and Sweden (IIRC) both offer a long stay tourist visa, but unfortunately applying for residency is the only option elsewhere if you wish to stay longer. And also don't overlook personal tax obligations if you stay longer than 183 days in any one country.

Good luck with your plans!

TheNovice

Visit site
As was mentioned in passing above, don't overlook the fact that you (as a UK citizen) can only stay in the Schengen area for 90/180 days (I suspect that you already know this as you've mentioned north Africa in your OP). France and Sweden (IIRC) both offer a long stay tourist visa, but unfortunately applying for residency is the only option elsewhere if you wish to stay longer. And also don't overlook personal tax obligations if you stay longer than 183 days in any one country.

Good luck with your plans!
Yeah I understand the 90/180. We will be moving around a lot but I will keep track on the days spent. My lass is Spanish so she's fine either way.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
France and Sweden (IIRC) both offer a long stay tourist visa, but unfortunately applying for residency is the only option elsewhere if you wish to stay longer.

France offers tourist visas up to 1 year, but anything beyond 6 months you are considered tax resident and your boat, if temporarily imported using the Temporary Admission scheme, becomes liable for VAT.