Buying a 27'+ Live-on

SharkBait25

Visit site
So I’ve been constantly researching boats and looking for something that might be suitable. I’ve come up with a few that I’m thinking about making offers on.

Most of these boats have been listed for some time, so hoping to get a good deal.

I think all of the boats are close to 6’3 in headroom, bilge keel and are also close to Kent

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Westerly griffon 26 ft bilge keel 6'0 head room in middle small v beds

1982 MKII £11,995 link
Old advert, old bukh dv 20 engine, new rigging, sails? WALTON NAZE
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Leisure 27 bilge good space head room 6 ft 1 ½ in

1979 £6,300 link
old advert? 20 HP Beta 3-cylinder water-cooled (with 40amp alternator) -installed 2004 only 310hrs as at 2020 BARGAIN? OFFER? !DEVON!

1980 £9750 link old 1992 engine, old sails HAMPSHIRE

Westerly Konsort 29 6'0?

1979 £13500 link
Old advert, old bukh dv 20 engine, sails newish? 3 battery solar, holding tank HAMPSHIRE

1980 £11,950 link old advert, old engine/ old sails, old everything? KENT

Trapper 501 6'0
Westerly Centaur

1980 £9,000
link old advert new Volvo 202 engine 2004, New standing rigging 2018, self tailing winches, mainsail with stak pack and furling genoa. Anchor winch, solar panels WALTON
Mirage 28

1982 £12000
link very old advert new engine volvo penta 20

1980 £7500 link

mirage 29

1984 £13500
link year old advert engine? KENT

Westerly Berwick

1978 £13950
link old advert, old engine? old sails and some rigging

cobra 850 28' 6'2 headroom

1979 £12000 link old advert NEW DIESEL ENGINE FITTED 2013/4 fish finder radar new sails Great value yacht safe and sturdy
Colvic sailer 29 Headroom?

1980 £10500 link old? Beta 35 hp recently serviced. Excellent condition very low usage, 2016 rigging ,dingy and outboard, sails? recent survey HAMPSHIRE

What boats here are worth and offer and fors and against for these Yachts.

Last edited:

Jim@sea

Visit site
So I’ve been constantly researching boats and looking for something that might be suitable. I’ve come up with a few that I’m thinking about making offers on.

Most of these boats have been listed for some time, so hoping to get a good deal.

I think all of the boats are close to 6’3 in headroom, bilge keel and are also close to Kent

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Westerly griffon 26 ft bilge keel 6'0 head room in middle small v beds

1982 MKII £11,995 link
Old advert, old bukh dv 20 engine, new rigging, sails? WALTON NAZE
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Leisure 27 bilge good space head room 6 ft 1 ½ in

1979 £6,300 link
old advert? 20 HP Beta 3-cylinder water-cooled (with 40amp alternator) -installed 2004 only 310hrs as at 2020 BARGAIN? OFFER? !DEVON!
_Westerly Konsort 29 6'0?

1979 £13500 link
Old advert, old bukh dv 20 engine, sails newish? 3 battery solar, holding tank Hampshire
Trapper 501 6'0
Westerly Centaur

1980 £9,000
link old advert new Volvo 202 engine 2004, New standing rigging 2018, self tailing winches, mainsail with stak pack and furling genoa. Anchor winch, solar panels WALTON
Mirage 28

1982 £12000
link very old advert new engine volvo penta 20

1980 £7500 link

_________________________________________________________________________________
mirage 29

1984 £13500
link year old advert engine? KENT

_________________________________________________________________________________
Westerly Berwick

1978 £13950
link old advert, old engine? old sails and some rigging

cobra 850 28' 6'2 headroom

1979 £12000 link old advert NEW DIESEL ENGINE FITTED 2013/4 fish finder radar new sails Great value yacht safe and sturdy
Colvic sailer 29 Headroom?

1980 £10500 link old? Beta 35 hp recently serviced. Excellent condition very low usage, 2016 rigging ,dingy and outboard, sails? recent survey HAMPSHIRE

What boats here are worth and offer and fors and against for these Yachts.
I had a Colvic Watson 24ft that had loads of room inside. I never got to use it as a business I had retired from had to be taken over again, They go quite cheaply. When I put it up for sale 90% of the enquiries I had wanted to know if it had Bilge Keels or could they be fitted. It seemed to me that with cheap boats sailors don't want deep keels where they would need to keep them in a marina and would prefer a bilge keeler so to get a cheap drying out mooring.

SharkBait25

Visit site
The cobra 850 had a good bilge keel designer ....David feltham,write up a while back gave it thumbs up for two people to live aboard

A cobra 850 was the one we used on our very first Flotilla. Going back a while now but I liked her
Seems to have been well updated and the nearly new engine is a real bonus

Would 4 people on occasion be to much?

SharkBait25

Visit site
I had a Colvic Watson 24ft that had loads of room inside. I never got to use it as a business I had retired from had to be taken over again, They go quite cheaply. When I put it up for sale 90% of the enquiries I had wanted to know if it had Bilge Keels or could they be fitted. It seemed to me that with cheap boats sailors don't want deep keels where they would need to keep them in a marina and would prefer a bilge keeler so to get a cheap drying out mooring.
Do you remember the headroom at all?Struggled to find the headroom stats for the colvic 29, it was about 3am though,

Kelpie

Visit site
None of those seem especially good value for money, to me.
If you use Facebook look up the yachts for sale group- some real bargains on there.

SharkBait25

Visit site
Not quite in Kent but definitely got the headroom... I could easily entertain this as a liveaboard. Full disclosure, I own one.
Stag
Description of type: Specs

Seen that boat on my searches, its a really nice boat but kind of got stuck on the idea of a bilge keel.

None of those seem especially good value for money, to me.
If you use Facebook look up the yachts for sale group- some real bargains on there.

Think the first one could be a good deal

Leisure 27 for sale UK, Leisure boats for sale, Leisure used boat sales, Leisure Sailing Yachts For Sale Leisure 27 1979 - Apollo Duck think this is going to have to be looked at.

Colvic Sailer 29 for sale UK, Colvic boats for sale, Colvic used boat sales, Colvic Sailing Yachts For Sale Great value yacht safe and sturdy - Apollo Duck also like this

Leisure 27 for sale UK, Leisure boats for sale, Leisure used boat sales, Leisure Sailing Yachts For Sale 1980 Leisure 27 - Apollo Duck and this too

Last edited:

fredrussell

Visit site
If your budget will stretch to £15k you could get a Westerly Fulmar. A whole different kettle o’ fish to the above boats.

SharkBait25

Visit site
If your budget will stretch to £15k you could get a Westerly Fulmar. A whole different kettle o’ fish to the above boats.

would like to stay in budget as it’s our first boat.

Are you looking for a floating home as its cheap to buy and will leave it stationary ?

It will be a floating home for around 4 nights a week but will also be sailing around anchoring or beaching whenever.

sgr143

Visit site
Much as I like them, I'd have to say I'd be a bit dubious about a Centaur as a live-on boat, unless maybe for just one person or just possibly two utter minimalists. There is very little room to keep "stuff". People seem to use the one or both of the two aft sleeping spaces for storage, but even so it would be a constant re-shuffling of what is kept where if you were living on board. The same may of course be true for others of the smaller boats you are looking at. That's why, having originally looked at a Centaur as a first boat, we upgraded ourselves to a Merlin, which seems to have a Tardis somewhere in its design ancestry.

Tintin

Visit site
The Leisure 27 is a well built boat with very good acommodation for its size. Loads of information and support via the Owners Association -£10 Life membership!
Second that. I lived on my old one for about a year. Looked at most of the others and discarded.

Kelpie

Visit site

I don't see anything in the second one to merit a higher price.
With both of them, whether they are a good deal or not friend's on how much use they have had since the new sails etc are fitted. It's perfectly possible to wear out a set in ten years.
For the first one, as a minimum you would be looking at new batteries and saildrive seal.