Buy a bigger boat

Lucas Gan

Visit site
I currently have a 40ft flybridge. So I am considering buying a bigger boat. There are two boats that maybe fit my need. One is a 2001 Fairline Squadron 55 with a pair of Volvo D12 700hp. Another one is a 1996 Fairline Squadron 59 with a pair of MAN 680hp. Which engine will you pick? Which one will be more reliable and easier to repair? Any advice? Many thanks.

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
Depends on a huge variable of past service history , how well they have been looked after the past 25 odd years .
A lot will chime in wearing there tribal hats I have this or that less than 10 y old motors .
The age and histories levels out personal preferences.

So if we hypothetically assume they are like for like SH wise more or less and the rest of the boat conditions are similar ( unlikely) and the hrs on par then the V8 15 or is it nearer 16 L MANs as more torque and bigger capacity for less Hp = greater longevity because they will have had in comparison to the inline 6 12 L more Hp Volvos an easier life in terms of stress .
Never venturing over 2000 rpm .

Check the gearboxes I wonder if they are different to reflect the torque difference , and maybe the props to suit ??

From new it’s a different set of parameters , or nearly new .But you are not asking that .

Imho and experience the general engineering and build quality of the marine add ons like the cooling systems / pumps etc of the German engine are better than the Swedish which is basically the root answer to your question.
As the decades slip by that extra build starts to tell .

My 2003 2876 s , 700 Hp by then started out @510 Hp to 580 Hp , evolved into iirc 800 s have been virtually faultless in the 5/6 seasons I took them on @480 hrs and brought them up to currently over a 1000 hr .Just annual services .
No show stoppers .There was a sensor that went that’s all .Those 90 s variants have zero electronic stuff all mechanical both of them .As said I rarely go over 1800 rpm , infact sit them on 1750 / 1780 rpm .
Nursing them as they are approaching 20 ys and inho deserve my mechanical sympathy.

A new or new ish boat no such quarms I tested a 62 ftr with V 12 1400 s and sat it at 2300 rpm ….in waves no issues except the fuel burn .It was under warranty btw . Never dream of doing that in a 10 y old boat never mind 25 y ++

Ask the cruise rpm and speeds the boats achieve .If one needs to get near or north of 2000 that’s the one to avoid for this age , the trashed out one = repair bills .

Btw for the avoidance of doubt I would happily buy a new Volvo powered boat if it was just a stepping stone a 3/5 yr thing offloading it after or before .

As a aged prospect KAD , IPS no thanks .If a toss up in 15-25 yrs between MAN / MTU and D12 s , the Germans .
Given equitable SH s

Last edited:

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I currently have a 40ft flybridge. So I am considering buying a bigger boat. There are two boats that maybe fit my need. One is a 2001 Fairline Squadron 55 with a pair of Volvo D12 700hp. Another one is a 1996 Fairline Squadron 59 with a pair of MAN 680hp. Which engine will you pick? Which one will be more reliable and easier to repair? Any advice? Many thanks.
The MAN's might be more reliable but if the Volvos break there will be a VP dealer in your marina to fix them. Our VP Service Centre charge €45 an hour and are very good.

Portofino

Visit site
MAN s do not rely on hidden and often forgotten pencil anodes scattered about .
They just use a one large anode on the outside of the hull with the motor bonded to it .
I raise this issue because it’s fanciful to assume the SH s are equivalent .It’s more easily over 2/3 decades for the anodic protection of the Volvos to slip = inevitably of cooling corrosion issues to rear there ugly heads .

Less of a dissimilarity of metals issues with the better thought out German engines = better longevity imho .

Its not usually the oily bits if they are not overloaded it’s the seawater cooling side that’s goes in aged motors first .
Both ate truck derived blocks etc this several million Km + + + life of the road versions is a given .

Portofino

Visit site
The MAN's might be more reliable but if the Volvos break there will be a VP dealer in your marina to fix them. Our VP Service Centre charge €45 an hour and are very good.
Glad you have brought this up the legacy support .Important with 90 s motors very important.

RNLI in the U.K. have no problems finding MAN guys .
Theses are basic ( 90 s both of them ) tech no electrotwackerey lap top stuff here .
Any diesel fitter could get them running if there was a no start so that’s a score draw in my book .

Actually your “ VP dealer “ might not want to know because of age and not stock old inventory.
I know MAN are particular in supporting older variants parts wise .They have huge parts facilities in house at the Nuremberg HQ .Ship WW ,

Its part of the commercial ( inc RNLI s ) buying decisions …….the back up side . They pride themselves on that see there web site .

We know from recent threads on ECU s VP s seem to loose interest once over 20 yrs or so and allow subcontractor inventory to run down .Rocker gaskets for KAD 300 being another example.

Its a German cultural thing .Plentry of u tube vids of U boat engines starting …..still supported .

PME in the U.K. are the marine MAN agents .Any doubt sourcing parts give them a bell .

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I believe that the RNLI have their own maintenance teams. If the need arises, they'll call in MAN who no doubt will be willing to travel and prioritise them.

Regarding VP ECU's, you may not have noticed but there's been a pandemic going on for the past 18 months that has affected the global supply of chips. There's no evidence that VP have 'lost interest' as you say. The gasket thing is a non-issue as you've been told many times.

That's it for me on this topic as I can see if's going the usual predictable route.....

markc

Visit site
Have you thrown un the towel with the current boat?? You were getting to know her so well! I presume that you're not planning on keeping the larger boat on the Thames?

Lucas Gan

Visit site
@Portofino Thank you for the very detailed post.

@petem Thank you for the info.

@markc I may still keep my current 40ft on the Thames and do more and more improvement on her until I really want/need to sell her. I just add/replaced some small items on the electric system on her yesterday, such as removing the old battery isolator replace to two VSR, a Victron battery protector, a DC LCD monitor and AC LED gauges. I must say she lead me from a zero level boat owner to a DIY level now. Learned a lot during the last 3 years of having her.

I am planning to keep the larger boat in southern coastal areas maybe near Brighton or Southhampton about 1 hour away from me. I think that could be a good idea compared to keeping on the Thames.

markc

Visit site
@markc I may still keep my current 40ft on the Thames and do more and more improvement on her until I really want/need to sell her. I just add/replaced some small items on the electric system on her yesterday, such as removing the old battery isolator replace to two VSR, a Victron battery protector, a DC LCD monitor and AC LED gauges. I must say she lead me from a zero level boat owner to a DIY level now. Learned a lot during the last 3 years of having her.

I am planning to keep the larger boat in southern coastal areas maybe near Brighton or Southhampton about 1 hour away from me. I think that could be a good idea compared to keeping on the Thames.

Makes sense - 59 Squaddie far too big for the Thames! Having made the transfer from Thames to South coast some years ago before heading to the med, I would not consider Brighton as there are too few local places to go boating. Solent is a far better option.

Soco2

Visit site
I would definitely go with the SQ55 over the 59 I looked at all of them before getting my SQ52 and again I would definitely go with the D12-700. Manufacturing processes were particularly precise with this engine.
I run them and they are faultless , most of the problems with these engines are related to ancillary parts as they get older and suffer environmental issues.
internally they are bullet proof, its rare to hear of a d12 block self destruct?
pleanty of parts, advice and support for VP where as the other is not so well known.
consider resale also ??

TonyR123

Visit site
Not sure I would bother with Brighton either. Nowhere to anchor at all. Although I am getting a sailing boat for the UK for next year and will keep this in Shoreham, but that is just so I can do some sailing within 5 minutes of deciding its a good day for it. After a year will probably move it down the solent way.

Lucas Gan

Visit site
Thanks. Glad to learn that. I'd do some research to see what location options can have in the southern coastal areas.

Lucas Gan

Visit site
The trouble is not many right boats on the UK market at the moment. Looks like this two boat idea not happening soon.

There are three boats within my range. One is a 2001 Fairline Squadron 55 asking £245k which is over my budget of £200k. Then two 1996 Fairline Squadron 59 showing on the market, but the one £189k deposit taken, another one £199k seller withdraw the sale, I have talked to the broker just now. So there is no one available at the moment to me.

Please do let me if you find elsewhere to have a similar boat available for sale. Thanks.

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
How about Jeaneau and Cranchi? Going to view them today. Never know these brands.
Cranchi the Atlantic 48 as a typical example , is a well made boat and a bit narrower than its competitors .So a berthing advantage possibility maybe ?

Jeaneau are like French cars nice when new and a bit basic in fit out , detail and build , and there’s was always in the day a rival that was better .

How ever with mobos it’s all about what’s lurking in the engine room and the propulsion system with aged boats . The condition and service history , up grades etc start to overcome any pre conceptions of the badge on the boat once over 10 years old .

alt

Visit site
Re. Cranchi - I'm on my 2nd which would total approx. 15 years of Cranchi ownership. I have no intention to change and if I were to change, i'd probably go for a Cranchi Atlantique 40 (i'm inland to restricted and shaft tunnels a big bonus), however at that size flybridge I think engine access would be a huge issue for me.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, the only negative I could find with the Cranchi was the cheapo 'teak ply' (or whatever its called) on the swim platform. My boat is currently 17 years old and this stuff is now showing signs of age so next year will probably be replacement (of the teak ply, I mean).