but what boat???

manish

Visit site
hi there folks looking at getting into single handed sailing but not too sure what boat to get for this. any advise and jugestions would be grate. ta guys /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

lyina

Visit site
Hi
You need to give more information, such as
your experience
size of boat you're thinking of
where you intend to sail
what £££s can you afford
future expectations
etc etc

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
With no information just a general advice. A single handed boat is always too big!!!
I started with a 5.5m cruiser, just the right size for single sailing or love boat (French way of life !) sailing.
But too small for the Jester Challenge (limited to more than 20').
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

manish

Visit site
sorry for being so vauge. im rather new to sailing (been at it for a year and a half now) im thinking about 25-21 feet and i have a budget of around 3-3.5k. i intend to sail around the west coast of scotland and intend to go up to the nordic lands if i the wife allows it

eebygum

Visit site
Manish,
Hi... boats your might want to consider within your budget which I quite like are:

Hurley 22 (particularly the deep keel version - lovely little pocket boat).

Achilles 24 - nice boat; can take an outboard

GK24 - bit faster; I like the design of this boat but little headroom.

Corribee 21 - Good enough for Ellen to sail around Britain in; there was was in PBO this month with auto-steering, rutland 503 wind generator and a well looked after for 3.5K; very solid little boats.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

lyina

Visit site
No personal experience to go on, but looking through some old mags some names that come recommended are :
All of those mentioned above
plus
Kingfisher 20
Galion 22
Striker 22
Golif Jouet 22
Westerly Jouster 21
if you google these names you should find more info, but I would think that most of these would come in various keel configurations. IMO the fin keel would be the best bet if you intend to venture offshore. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]
IMO the fin keel would be the best bet if you intend to venture offshore. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell that to Roger Taylor or Peter Hill! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gwylan

Visit site
You'll do a lot worse than an Achilles 24! fin or bilge, safe steady and proven track record. Well within your budget, even after you have refitted it