Burry Port?

Allan

Visit site
After reading all the posts about Watchet, I started wondering how Burry Port was doing? It was taken over by the same people, I think, a couple of years ago. Are all the berths clear? When/if we ever get out of Bristol, we'll be looking for places to visit.
Allan

jwilson

Visit site
Burry Port - entered once on a windy, wet, late Sunday evening in possibly 1977, the most dismal place l have ever been to by boat (and there have been a few) .... Maybe it's lovely now, but I doubt it.

38mess

Visit site
Burry Port - entered once on a windy, wet, late Sunday evening in possibly 1977, the most dismal place l have ever been to by boat (and there have been a few) .... Maybe it's lovely now, but I doubt it.
I had a mooring there 30 years ago in the old harbour before the marina. It's a lovely place in summer, and the mainline station is a short walk away. Perhaps the weather situation coloured your opinion

Allan

Visit site
I had a mooring there 30 years ago in the old harbour before the marina. It's a lovely place in summer, and the mainline station is a short walk away. Perhaps the weather situation coloured your opinion
I've sailed there a few times but was led to believe that since then the marina had silted up. Since that time it's been taken on by the same people who have taken on Watchet, so I'm hoping they've cleared the silt.
Allan

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I have seen both positive and negative comments on the marina at Burry Port, the negative comments seem to outweigh the positive, including lock gate problems and re- silting of dredged areas.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
I’d been hoping the same thing as I think it would be an interesting place to visit. I was there about 4 years ago and the whole thing was drying to lumpy looking sand. A cousin put a few pics on Facebook a couple of months back asking ‘where has all the water gone’, and it looked no different.

There’s the possibility to have a massive marina there if it was all developed up but it’s interesting for reasons more to do with the challenging access than anything else. Doubt it’s very likely to return investment and maybe Marine Group have realised this. Of course, if the plan is land side development, then that might drive the marina forward.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I have a feeling that property acquisition for development is a greater incentive for Marine Group rather than providing workable marinas in the long term.

38mess

Visit site
tide
I have a feeling that property acquisition for development is a greater incentive for Marine Group rather than providing workable marinas in the long term.

There is a lot of prime land next to the beach and marina just crying out to be developed. When I was based there around 30 years ago, the isolation is what attracted me. It will be a shame to see this developed imo

graham

Visit site
Took this at Low Water early in June this year.It looked as if the flap gate was open.20210604_115946~3.jpg

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Burry Port is a Tidal Marina, it has no lock gates! They have built a new RNLI boathouse and I believe they have plans for further development.
Burry Port Marina | The Marine Group

According to the marina brochure on Burry Port the marina has a 'tidal gate' which is open approximately from 2.5 hours before to 2.5 hours after HW.
A tidal gate should ensure a defined level of water within the marina when closed.
I have heard that there have been complaints from berth holders that the 'gate' has been unreliable.

Island-Runner

Visit site
Yes, the brochure certainly does mention a light controlled gate. I've not been there this season, but last year it was not evident on my visit. ⛵

Allan

Visit site
According to the marina brochure on Burry Port the marina has a 'tidal gate' which is open approximately from 2.5 hours before to 2.5 hours after HW.
A tidal gate should ensure a defined level of water within the marina when closed.
I have heard that there have been complaints from berth holders that the 'gate' has been unreliable.
The brochure also says they have plans for a "Rolling dredging programme", I'm surprised it's taken them this long.
Allan

klipspringer

Visit site
I live in the area and walk in the marina almost everyday The Marine Group are trying in difficult cicumstances to clear the sand. Some progress has been made, but there is some way to go and not at present really suitable for purpose. They have a dredger working most days. This is an injection type which brings the silt up into suspension. The gate is opened when the tide is out to flush out this suspension. There is therefore very little water left after this. I understand that they are no longer allowed to dig it as in the past. My boat has been in Swansea YC since the silting up started. I hope that they succeed since the area is worth a visit. The Burry Inlet can be challenging. Use the south channel and come in near high water and avoid if rough.

Last edited:

david_bagshaw

Visit site
There was a lot of evidence of work going on, lots of pontoons moved to the inner basin while dredging was going on.

used south channel but the deep water has moved over the Lynch channel and well over the hooper sands compared to the dec 2020 Admiralty chart.

cant get the image small enough to upload