Burnham Scow Tofino/Swallow 242

James Penhaligon

Visit site
I've recently bought a gorgeous 11' wooden dinghy, built in 1954/55 in Burnham-on-Crouch by Bill Stebbings. She's currently named 'Tofino' - was previously 'Swallow'. Sail number 242. I bought her from a guy in Devon who had sailed her at Dartmouth. Apparently, she was based in the I-o-W for some time. Does anyone know anything of her history (I've seen Stebbing's List).

tidclacy

Visit site
Hi I have lots of history about the Burnham Scows.

I have records of two Swallows, Sail numbers 243 and 400. There was lots of swapping of sails and names in the past so cannot verify which is yours. Is there a makers plate on the boat?

Swallow 243 was owned by Graham-Bell, don't have records of who built her, suspect she is your boat with a mistaken number. Swallow 400 was built by Petticrows for Bucanan and subsequently owned by Mcfarlane, Head and Bastic. Have contacts with Jo Head who used to sail her.

I note on Stebbings list Tofino is down as sail number 242.

Have a lovely book by Jan Wise 50 years of Scows and the RBYC Cadets

I note that Chittabob on Stebbings list is down as Sail number 243

Have all the specifications etc for Burnham Scows if you are interested. Own one myself but she is a West Wight Scow kept at Burnham on Crouch.

James Penhaligon

Visit site
Many thanks. The builder's plate says Stebbings, Burnham and the number 242 is marked on the hull. The number on the sail is correct - 242 - and there is also a Burmudan mainsail with the correct number and an I-O-W sailmaker's name. I'm told she was on the Island for some time - don't know where. the name Graham-Bell came up on Stebbings when I looked.

I'll look out for that book on Amazon. I'd love to see any other information you have.

Yet to put her in the water as I'm temporarily car-less.

James Penhaligon

Visit site
Many thanks. I'll send you a PM. I'm in West Somerset. I'll be sailing occasionally on Wimbleball Lake, but more often on the Helford where I'll be basing my caravan.

James Penhaligon

Visit site
Thank you SO much for sending me so much useful information about my boat. Very interesting to see from the drawings that there is intended to be a jib. I only have the mainsail and there is no sign that a jib was ever fitted - although a spare Burmuda main with the correct sail number came with her. I now have a car - having been without for five weeks because of lost paperwork on the one I was buying - so hope to be able to have a maiden sail next week - probably on Wimbleball lake - then down to the Helford mid-month.
Thank you again for all the information.
James

tidclacy

Visit site
No Problem, the jib is usually for the little one who is crew and learning to sail.

Although I have a jib it is now very rarely used.

My girls when they were smaller used to race them with jib and crew at the Royal Burnham Yacht Club. We used to have a Burnham scow called Bluey sail number 448 as well as the West Wight Scow which we still have. Wish you happy sailing. Let me know how you get on.

Lynne Rowcroft

Visit site
The West Wight Scow Class is doing a database on wooden scows, I have sent a PM if you would like to get in touch I can pass on information on Swallow 242. Burnham West Wight scows could have a jib, West Wight scows on the Isle of Wight do not have a facility for a jib, however Lymington scows always have a jib!

Tim Slade

Visit site
I owned and sailed this scow at Newtown Creek, Isle of Wight, for several years in the 1990s. In fact I am responsible for naming her Tofino after the coastal town on Vancouver Island. I’m away from home at the moment but will respond at greater length when I return in the New Year.

James Penhaligon

Visit site
Thanks Tim, I'd be interested to know more. I guess you bought the 'new' sail which has an IoW maker's name. She's currently being repaired as she had sustained some nasty below the waterline damage which had been maliciously concealed with Sikkaflex when I bought her. A new plank, resetting others and repairs to the transom. I should be able to pick her up after Christmas.

BoatbuilderRob

Visit site
Hi I have lots of history about the Burnham Scows.

I have records of two Swallows, Sail numbers 243 and 400. There was lots of swapping of sails and names in the past so cannot verify which is yours. Is there a makers plate on the boat?

Swallow 243 was owned by Graham-Bell, don't have records of who built her, suspect she is your boat with a mistaken number. Swallow 400 was built by Petticrows for Bucanan and subsequently owned by Mcfarlane, Head and Bastic. Have contacts with Jo Head who used to sail her.

I note on Stebbings list Tofino is down as sail number 242.

Have a lovely book by Jan Wise 50 years of Scows and the RBYC Cadets

I note that Chittabob on Stebbings list is down as Sail number 243

Have all the specifications etc for Burnham Scows if you are interested. Own one myself but she is a West Wight Scow kept at Burnham on Crouch.
Hi, just come across your post.
I have recently bought burnham scow Ariadne no 449 which needs restoring and I am looking for the plans and specifications. Do you still have these? Also any other history about the boat would be appreciated. Thanks, Rob

tidclacy

Visit site
Hi Rob

PM me with your E-mail and I will send you info

Ariadne was built by Tucker Brown in Burnham.

The last I knew of her she was owned by the Cors who sold her out of Burnham about ten/twelve years ago

Tranona

Visit site
New members can't use the messaging system. Not sure how many posts you need before you have access.