Bulk carrier aground in the Minch

Quandary

Visit site
Strange cargo to be exporting from Belfast, though one report I saw mentioned Dundalk as her departure port, the Irish still extract peat for power station fuel but I did not know that it was exported?

Kelpie

Visit site
I believe the Jambo up in the summer Isles (not dissimilar in size) was allowed to break up in-situ.

A few years ago a fishing vessel heading south down between Canna and Rum forgot to turn to stbd (helmsman asleep, I seem to recall) and ran into Rum - still there.

I suppose they could, if possible do a bit of salvage to empty the fluids - fuel and oils - and leave it where it is? It won't do any harm there, well away from routine traffic, no danger to wildlife with non-native rats escaping (as was considered with the Rum FV.)

Ah yes the jack Abry II. Ran in to the side of Rum during a storm in IIRC 2012, and is still there. Starting to look a bit sorry for herself.
A few years ago I worked for a RIB company in that area and at high tide you could just get right round the wreck, good fun in calm conditions. I've taken my own boat pretty close in. If you wanted there's some nice anchors and chain that would make a hefty mooring, but good luck trying to get it off.

bikedaft

Visit site
Ah yes the jack Abry II. Ran in to the side of Rum during a storm in IIRC 2012, and is still there. Starting to look a bit sorry for herself.
A few years ago I worked for a RIB company in that area and at high tide you could just get right round the wreck, good fun in calm conditions. I've taken my own boat pretty close in. If you wanted there's some nice anchors and chain that would make a hefty mooring, but good luck trying to get it off.

i swam out to her from the shore, but woosed out at going in too close, i didn't know what ropes etc were underwater, and some swell...

Jack Abry II by eddiecrawford, on Flickr

Quandary

Visit site
Indeed, very detailed, very clear and very fair, an impressive bit of report writing as well. The MAIB could teach a few others a thing or two about accident investigation and reporting.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Indeed, very detailed, very clear and very fair, an impressive bit of report writing as well. The MAIB could teach a few others a thing or two about accident investigation and reporting.
AAIB and RAIB reports are also worth a read. The AAIB have been doing it longest and have a wonderful dry style, making clear what happened while never explicitly pointing fingers.

NorthRising

Visit site
I believe the Jambo up in the summer Isles (not dissimilar in size) was allowed to break up in-situ.

A few years ago a fishing vessel heading south down between Canna and Rum forgot to turn to stbd (helmsman asleep, I seem to recall) and ran into Rum - still there.

I suppose they could, if possible do a bit of salvage to empty the fluids - fuel and oils - and leave it where it is? It won't do any harm there, well away from routine traffic, no danger to wildlife with non-native rats escaping (as was considered with the Rum FV.)
Except that she's full of plastic pellets and with flam risk from gases in cargo, and rats are a risk due to seabird colonies.

NormanS

Visit site
Except that she's full of plastic pellets and with flam risk from gases in cargo, and rats are a risk due to seabird colonies.

Since the reef on which the ship is sitting, is covered by the sea more than it is dry, rats (and seabird colonies) might find it difficult to live there.