Bulk carrier aground in the Minch

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Hey! Watch what you're saying. My boat's older than that, and I don't consider her to be an old banger. ?

So is mine. But she doesn’t poodle around with four thousand tons of gravel, coal, whatever, discharged with grabs and bulldozers.

27 years is an advanced age for a small bulk carrier. Her record of Port State Control deficiencies is not a short one. Last detained in Norway in July last year.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Possibly someone fell asleep or had too much to drink or just scewed up due to lax procedure. Its sometimes revealing to look at where the ship had been for several days prior to an incident. Had she been in and out of port working cargo by day and steaming by night such that the crew had no sleep? That can be a recipe for this kind of incident.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Possibly someone fell asleep or had too much to drink or just scewed up due to lax procedure. Its sometimes revealing to look at where the ship had been for several days prior to an incident. Had she been in and out of port working cargo by day and steaming by night such that the crew had no sleep? That can be a recipe for this kind of incident.

Belfast, methinks. But you are absolutely right.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I’ve turned up for watch duties and found the skipper asleep on the bridge sofa!

On a short-handed long-distance yacht voyage I did the skipper was regularly found asleep in the saloon at the end of his watch. We were well out in the Atlantic for most of it, so the risks were low, but . . .

Quandary

Visit site
We had a different ship in Ardrishaig this week loading timber, she left earlier today, name was Fri xxxx, but when we looked at her on AIS to get the full name she comes up as SAR aircraft xxxxx registered in the Bahamas (Nassau) and there is a dramatic picture of a British Coastguard helicopter in flight. She is now down about Troon heading South probably back to Ireland, still pretending to be a helicopter doing 9 kts. she has been showing this identity all week and probably a lot longer.
Obviously there has been an error in her identity, I am not sure how vital this is or what to do about it but would expect the Coastguard to notice a coaster posing as one of their helicopters, I presume they do some monitoring of AIS?

burgundyben

Visit site
I just looked on marine traffic., she still appears to be there. Mutlratug3 is in attendance.

Seems to me she's been sat there a while, presumable the rocks are slowly chewing away at the hull.

Stemar

Visit site
My guess would be that the scrap value won't cover the cost of clearing up the mess.

I'll make another guess, that the skipper is East European. Were I him, I'd be heading home sharpish, to pay careful attention to the sits vac column.

Minchsailor

Visit site
Will the owners be forced to remove it or will it spend years rotting away where it is?

I believe the Jambo up in the summer Isles (not dissimilar in size) was allowed to break up in-situ.

A few years ago a fishing vessel heading south down between Canna and Rum forgot to turn to stbd (helmsman asleep, I seem to recall) and ran into Rum - still there.

I suppose they could, if possible do a bit of salvage to empty the fluids - fuel and oils - and leave it where it is? It won't do any harm there, well away from routine traffic, no danger to wildlife with non-native rats escaping (as was considered with the Rum FV.)

Last edited:

burgundyben

Visit site
I believe the Jambo up in the summer Isles (not dissimilar in size) was allowed to break up in-situ.

A few years ago a fishing vessel heading south down between Canna and Rum forgot to turn to port (helmsman asleep, I seem to recall) and ran into Rum - still there.

I suppose they could, if possible do a bit of salvage to empty the fluids - fuel and oils - and leave it where it is? It won't do any harm there, well away from routine traffic, no danger to wildlife with non-native rats escaping (as was considered with the Rum FV.)

I wonder what the cargo is. Might be of some value?

NormanS

Visit site
I saw somewhere that her cargo was pelletized fuel. Don't know whether it was pelletized garbage or pelletized wood. 24(?) Cubic metres of diesel have been lost. Don't know how much she was carrying.