Building Ross Lillistone's Flint

Lon nan Gruagach

Visit site
After many months contemplating free plans for a dinghy I saw a thread here asking if anyone had built Flint by Ross Lillistone.
Link:

Well. I was hooked and duly forked out for the plans. Next spend was for the glass tape and mat and epoxy for stitch and glue plus optional extra all over glass skin for "abrasion resistance". Next will be for the ply. meanwhile, since there are trees to be had here and a bloke with a Wood Mizer to plank them, I set to getting the timber for a multitude of fiddly bits and oars and mast and spars.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Dont hold your breath, this will take some time.....

Lon nan Gruagach

Visit site
Eek! has it really been over a year and a half since I started this....

Well, here we go.
So, some pics and tales and a story of the last year and a bit.
DSCN2253.jpg

Why the wait, I hear you ask. Well, apart from someone deciding that I wanted to buy a boat instead of building one, doing the deal then telling me about it. A boat that kept me busy and skint....

DSCN2254.jpg

DSCN2255.jpg

Lon nan Gruagach

Visit site
Top tip: start with the little bits. I dint and it felt like hitting a brick wall when I got to all the braces, reinforcers and brackets.
DSCN2262.jpg

After a year or so of sailing and fishing round Eigg, along came Barbara and Conor. The 2 storms double teamed me, broke the mooring and bounced my boat off some rocks. Nice way to spend Christmas day, waist deep in lovely warm (not) sea water.

Lon nan Gruagach

Visit site
Sewing time:
DSCN2271.jpg

Note to self... use cable ties next time, wire is difficult to pull in.

Disaster!
DSCN2272.jpg

This design has one heck of a twist at the bow. Although I trust the plywood, it was still too much for it :(
If I am lucky there will be a scrap big enough to joint in here, otherwise its back to the bank for another sheet. Next attempt, I plan to pull it in slowly over a few weeks in the hope that the wood will accept the shape.

Buying plywood.
There are no cheap options. I thought I had found one and duly placed an order. What turned up was almost certainly not marine ply even though it has a 1088 stamp on it. Due to the cost and agro of returning stuff from here I had a rethink and decided that I would only need a few sheets of the good stuff for the hull panels and the not so good will do for the thwarts. No prizes for guessing where I got the good stuff from.

Lon nan Gruagach

Visit site
DSCN2279.jpg

Then another disaster.. flat camera battery and I cant find the charger... so theres a bit missing...

HPIM7455.jpg

Missing bit:
The side walls should be fitted from the front as they will pull the bow up. The designer suggests employ a friend to raise the stern of the walls while tying in at the front. Being a bit impatient and rounding up friends is a bit like herding cats I made it myyy wayyyy. (Sorry Frank). To raise the stern of the side walls, I tied the bottom corner to the top of the transom (neat huh?)

Lon nan Gruagach

Visit site
Been a while,not been idle though just that the loop of host image soemwhere, copy URl, insert image here is a bit long winded at times..
But enough of that, more pics...
HPIM7457.jpg

Even that many ties struggled to close the gap (didnt quite make it either so theres a 1/4" gap.... make with the thickened epoxy later I guess.
HPIM7458.jpg

More stitch and gluery.
HPIM7467.jpg

And some glass taping.

Lon nan Gruagach

Visit site
HPIM7492.jpg

Inside is poxy coated and the tanks given a lick of paint.
HPIM7495.jpg

Tank tops in place. An option for a single seat rowing boat with balanced gaff (or junk) rig with, I think, my own slight deviation for the front deck. Bent to shape with time, force and a good dose of hot wet towels.

Lon nan Gruagach

Visit site
Fitting a gunwale...
Plans show a solid timber one, but I didnt have that so laminated some in place from 6mm 3ply (bleagh). But then gunwales are consumables with my kind of sailing *WEG*
HPIM7519.jpg

HPIM7521.jpg

HPIM7520.jpg

Nomadman

Visit site
Are you still enjoying Flint ? I would be very interested to hear about her seaworthiness in chop and swell. I'm thinking about either Flint or Fleet for trips in the Western Isles. Thanks.