BUILDING A PLYWOOD BOAT KIT DURING THE LOCK DOWN

Mauro 81

Visit site
This year there won’t be much tourism possibilities in my country because of the lock down..
This way, I developed for my own construction a 17 footed sailing skiff to build with my son during his holydays.
She is a 5.26 m length, 1.2 m deep, easy to build, plywood construction to be joined with epoxy resin and epoxy filler. She was designed to be a safe and fun boat for the family, allowing 3 or 4 crew persons.
The hull weight is 208 kg. She has a moderate sail area of 14 M2 with a reef for breezes days with light crew and a retractable centerboard for shallow waters and trailering.
The complete plywood cutting file is ready to be sent to the CNC Company, hoping to start the construction soon. I’ll keep you posted with pictures.

Naval Architect, Mauro Heine

DownWest

Visit site
This year there won’t be much tourism possibilities in my country because of the lock down..
This way, I developed for my own construction a 17 footed sailing skiff to build with my son during his holydays.
She is a 5.26 m length, 1.2 m deep, easy to build, plywood construction to be joined with epoxy resin and epoxy filler. She was designed to be a safe and fun boat for the family, allowing 3 or 4 crew persons.
The hull weight is 208 kg. She has a moderate sail area of 14 M2 with a reef for breezes days with light crew and a retractable centerboard for shallow waters and trailering.
The complete plywood cutting file is ready to be sent to the CNC Company, hoping to start the construction soon. I’ll keep you posted with pictures.

Naval Architect, Mauro Heine
Hi Mauro, where are you? This sounds interesting. Looking forward to the photos..I am building a small plywood cruiser, 17.ft 6in. x 6ft 6in.x 1ft6in. Hull mostly done, now working on the deck/cabin.

DownWest

Visit site
I will see what I can do, the last time I tried, it refused them as too large.

Anywhy, it is a Bolger Micro, but not. The sides have some flair and the bow is sharper. The topsides return in above the lower rub rail. Transom is canted back a bit. Cabin is a bit taller, as a friend built one to plans and found it a bit low and he is a few inches shorter than I. Stumbled on a pic of an OZ built one with the raised cabin, so stole the idea. Rig is the same cat yawl, as is the keel and rudder, though the stock is SS tube. Replacing the long wooden boomkin with a SS triangle that folds up for easy stowage.
I will start another thread, so as to not pollut this one....

Mauro 81

Visit site
Hi Mauro, where are you? This sounds interesting. Looking forward to the photos..I am building a small plywood cruiser, 17.ft 6in. x 6ft 6in.x 1ft6in. Hull mostly done, now working on the deck/cabin.
Sorry DownWest It's been a while I don't get in the forum.. I thought automatic emails would arrive to my account when I have a message.. Anyway I'm in Buenos Aires, Argentina for now planning to move to Spain by the end of the year. Your project sounds cool post some pictures pls. I still have no pictures as the cutting file is delayed. I have a preliminary drawing for now sow you can see what I'm talking about..
Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

DownWest

Visit site
Here is a pic of the one in OZ
36f269cc4a4e7396c280140529812f54.jpg
Under sail
73870c40757a2e22083f86f1b5ecaf27.jpg
This is a fun build, using wood and ply I have in the w/shop. But enough for cruising on our Atlantic coast
As in my other post, the hull on mine is a bit different, not so square and a slightly longer, more pointy bow.

DW

Last edited:

Mauro 81

Visit site
Imagine if more people had little boats,more space In marinas more social intercourse,epic voyages in “gales “ of force 4 more fun and less worry cheaper to run and build.
Sure, I'm aiming the pleasure sailing to be more accessible working on home building plywood constructions boats

Mauro 81

Visit site
I still have no pictures from my construction as the plywood cutting file is delayed. I have a preliminary drawing for now sow you can see what I'm talking about..

Attachments

• Sales-Libra 17-R2.jpg
    Sales-Libra 17-R2.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 11