Bucket story

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
When we were in Newport (more snobish you dy !!!)
We had a argument John and me on the number of buckets you shoud have on a Jester Challenge boat.
He argued that 2 was sufficient (what he has on board) while I was arguing that 3 was the perfect number (what I have on board).
On the return trip I had time, lying on my berth listening to the wave passing above while the Chantal cold front was passing, to think about the important philsophical point of the number of buckets.
His point of view is one for washing up and one for any other purpose... was anouth.
I added one to bail watter out.
During that night I had a graeat smile in the thought of John's swearring in the case one of his bucket was passing over board for any reason.
I definitly will carry three buckets to bad for the overweight !!!
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Eric,
Would you believe I lost a bucket on the return journey. But not a real problem I stopped washing up. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
In fact I found it just as easy to wash my stew pot by hanging over the lee side and letting the force of the water do most of the cleaning, bring the pot back in half full of water, quick wipe with the sponge and a final rinse hanging over the lee side again.
I have no problem using the toilet bucket for bailing. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

CPD

Visit site
I think it must be 3. One for washing up, one for the loo, and the other to steer the boat when the rudder gets lost. If your rudder is okay, then the 3rd can go with the other tons of spares on board /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MIKE_MCKIE

Visit site
Having had the immense pleasure of reading Bill Tilmans stories, I believe you are all wrong. He used one, for toiletry, bailing, cooking/baking, washing up, and for the crew to be sick into!
Cannot say that I would necessarily follow his example in this enlightened age, but if weight saving is the thing, then his solution has got to be the one!
I would just love to see some peoples faces if presented with this proposition when joining a boat as crew!
I personally only have the one bucket, but unlike Tilman I restrict it's use to washing (and as standby for bailing in extremis) & it has a very substantial lanyard to discourage loss! Anyway I can't see it being much use to make a duff in, I guess it would melt! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif