Brokers.?

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I am in the market for a yacht in Spain the broker is
Band of Boats. Are they any good as the alternative is a British sounding company based in Lefkas. W&S

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Not many people get on with Steve in Lefkas and the dealing or near dealing I had with him aren't much to talk about , but another member here had a satisfied dealing with him when he brought his boat a few years back , sure he be along soon .

Irish Rover

Visit site
I've posted on the forum previously about my very unsatisfactory dealings when buying a boat through Williams & Smithells in Lefkas. The resident British director was one of the laziest, most incompetent and unprofessional people I've ever come across. I'm sure even he doesn't always get it wrong but I'd advise extreme caution if dealing with him.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
One of the funniest time was when a friend wanted to view a boat in Lefkas 100 mts from his office and was told he had to make an appointment and the best he could do was in five days .
Even tho he explain he really interested and a cash buyer but he was flying out before then , he still said he couldn't view till then .

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Well it's not a lot better with this Spanish broker.
Advertised as International yacht broker. But no one in the office can speak English.

Sent an email asking if I could talk to the English owners direct.,as he couldn't explain details , didn't get so much as an reply.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Advertised as International yacht broker. But no one in the office can speak English.

Sent an email asking if I could talk to the English owners direct.,as he couldn't explain details , didn't get so much as an reply.
Some years back we where in touch with a broker in port Napoleon part of a very well know brokers in the U.K. .
We told him what boats we was interested in and told him what day we be arriving to view .
We sailed from Malta to France making contract two days earlier to confer every thing , the day we arrived the office was close with a moblie number on the door we called and no reply after some time we called the UK brokers and ask if there was any way we could contract him , they said they would call us back , 15 mins later they called and said it was a holiday in France and he wasn't taken the day off and he be in the morning , ok these thing happen but he could had told us .
The next day he turn up at 0930 , we explained we arrived the day before , we was then told we had to make an appointment to view and the best he could do was the next day even tho the boat was on the hard out side his office , I said thanks you very much but you can keep the boat.
We stayed on the outer pontoon that day and that guy never left his office until he when home .

Kola

Visit site
I really do not know how a lot of these "brokers" survive, looks like its just a hobby for some of them...

+1 for Boatshed site, lot of the others could take a lesson from that site.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Just for a bit of balance: When we bought a boat via W&S in Levkas and assuming that it's the same Stephen being referred too, we found him helpful, professional and a pleasure to deal with
Good to hear and I'm happy for you - as I said in #3 even Stephen can't get it wrong all the time.

grumpygit

Visit site
Just for a bit of balance: When we bought a boat via W&S in Levkas and assuming that it's the same Stephen being referred too, we found him helpful, professional and a pleasure to deal with

Fairly similar experience here, except he promised the world and came through with zip. Urban dictionary = A Bullsh1ter

sailaboutvic

Visit site
If I may just give a few personally experiences I had and know off .
1 when I asked him to valve my old boat which at the time was just six years old and in new condition fitted up to the hill , first he took over two week to come out cancelling three appointments, when he did come out he undervalued the boat by 30k that's what I ended up selling for so not just my over estimated valve .
he said at the time he would only take it on at the price he valve it for , so you can guess what I said .

grumpygit

Visit site

Home - Carrera Yachting Owned and run by an English guy and son, probably a typical a broker but he has been around for years

grumpygit

Visit site
If your not getting my posts you'll probably deserve each other.
But if you are, boat brokers are not at the top of my list as being honourable people but as for NYB their a complete utter shower that have basically way under par boats way over priced. The lack of professionalism will frustrate the life out of you, IMHO buyers and sellers beware.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hi,
Anyone try Network yacht brokers in Prevasa / Levkas ?
The guy is David and yes I know him well ex cruiser , wouldn't have nothing to do with him , my dealing with him some years back was a totally cock up so where two other cruisers I know ,
If you looking at buying any thing from him , I would make sure everything is in writing and not pay any deposit until you see all the papers that if you can get him to get off his ass in the first place so you can view a boat .
Sorry bob but between him and Steve in the marina they both need to get there act in gear .