Broadland plover ??

livlivvy

Visit site
Hi everyone , trying to locate my dads old boat, and as far as i no its on the river medway

Its a 35ft wooden cruiser origially named broadland plover and was on the norfolk broads till we sold her.

i have an advert someone on another forum found for me i shall try to add it

If anyone has seen her or no whos anything would really love to know

ex%20ripplecraft.JPG

No Regrets

Visit site
Last edited:

Chris_d

Visit site
Looks like a Potter Heigham bridge special that one:) nice boat, unfortunately wooden boats are sadly neglected these days but I will keep a look out for it.

livlivvy

Visit site
My dad hired it out wen it was a hire boat at somerleyton and later brought it , We owned it for a long time but sold wen it became to expensive to maintain and brought a plastic boat , When it was sold it was in fantastic condition as my dad spent every wkend working on it.

Would hate to think its no longer about :eek:(

If anyone does spot it about i'd really love to see a photo :eek:)

I'm pretty sure it was sold around 2008 and someone was working on it then

Thanks

livlivvy

Visit site
I think the one in the advert on the link u sent may well be plover!!

They are saying its broadland falcon yet they are saying its 37ft long and falcon was only 32ft long plover was 35th long!

Also u see the photo i put on my original post well after searching on other sales websites i found "falcon" advertised elsewhere and theres a photo just like my one with the same boats moored next to it sooo i am guessing they have got it wrong. Wen it was sold on ebay in 2005 no one seemed to no the reg number , also if they have tried to locate it they may have looked on undersides of draws ect but as this was a hire boat the draws and mattresses ect where always swaped about..

Anyway i have emailed the seller trying to dig a little deeper :)

Thanks so much for finding this 4me

:)

DammitJanet

Visit site
Hi everyone , trying to locate my dads old boat, and as far as i no its on the river medway

Its a 35ft wooden cruiser origially named broadland plover and was on the norfolk broads till we sold her.

ex%20ripplecraft.JPG

Plover is currently sitting at the end of Holly Farm Road in Reedham - just been pulled out of Pearson's shed.

Bob Stay

N/A
Visit site

ex%20ripplecraft.JPG

That's jogged my memory! My dad hired her in about 1976/7 for a family holiday on the Broads, mum, dad, me and my younger brother. It was from Hoseasons or a similar type company, with a catalogue full of photos of holiday craft for hire, from hideous plastic fantastic to more trad craft like the BP.

I remember studying the specs in detail, and pestered my dad to choose the BP.. becsuse it had a bigger engine, all other considerations were secondary to a 14 yr old boy..

I 'joined ship' straight from RAF camp (Waddington I think ?) and being rather full of myself, pestered the long suffering old man to buy me a couple of pints of dark McEwans, before he unwisely let me take the helm, and I soon managed to achieve flank speed and T-bone the BP into another hire boat..

Happy days ;) I will ask my mum, who's 93, if she can remember any more incidents..
and it's great to hear the BP still exists, if rather surprising I would have expected her to have rotted away yrs ago!
watch this space Bob

Bob Stay

N/A
Visit site
There is no boat of that nam currently registered anywhere in the UK.

http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/boatreg.php?bn=50651

It appears to be a 'Ripplecraft' though...

http://www.horning.org.uk/boatsearc...d=ST&search=yes&list=yes&unique=0&page=search

Broadland Grebe and Broadland Swift are still registered however.

Heres another..

http://www.yachtsell.co.uk/index.php?action=listingview&listingID=58

Good luck though!
Hi No Regrets, your links dont work, Bob

Bob Stay

N/A
Visit site
According to Wiki, and other snippets from the internet, Sir Christopher Cockerell joined Ripplecraft, builders of the BP and many similar craft, after he left Marconi.
Apparently he designed the BP and others, before he designed and developed the hovercraft.

My grandfather was an aeronautical engineer and was on CC's staff, and my mother is from Danbury where CC lived with his wife from 1940 onwards.. so quite a family connection.. the wonders of the internet!

Bob Stay

N/A
Visit site
Just dug out the album..
I still have a wooden boat ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

medway plover

Visit site
Hello, just found this thread after doing a web search. I am the new owner of a Ripplecraft Broadland Plover which is on the Medway. I can't be sure if it's the one the original poster was asking after, but it is a Plover. It appears to have had two restorations in the past. The first one was quite major and turned it into a live aboard, this included blocking the rear entrance, making the sliding roof fixed, and fibre-glassing the entire topside. The entrance door is now a hatchway built into the side. A more recent restoration was done by its previous owner who replaced some rotting hull timbers and refloated her two years ago. I've now bought her as a houseboat and have been tidying up the interior ready to move in soon. Hope that's of interest. Would be odd to think this may be the same boat pictured above, is it known how many "plovers" were built?

Bobhorseman

Visit site
I think the one in the advert on the link u sent may well be plover!!

They are saying its broadland falcon yet they are saying its 37ft long and falcon was only 32ft long plover was 35th long!

Also u see the photo i put on my original post well after searching on other sales websites i found "falcon" advertised elsewhere and theres a photo just like my one with the same boats moored next to it sooo i am guessing they have got it wrong. Wen it was sold on ebay in 2005 no one seemed to no the reg number , also if they have tried to locate it they may have looked on undersides of draws ect but as this was a hire boat the draws and mattresses ect where always swaped about..

Anyway i have emailed the seller trying to dig a little deeper :)

Thanks so much for finding this 4me

:)
Hi, just found this note. I used to own this boat until 1999/2000 I lived aboard her on the Great Ooze at Kelpie Yard near St Neots. When I sold her the new owners took her out of the water and put a new stern in her and took the engine out and were talking about living aboard but on land☹️ I dont know if she is still at the Kelpie Yard but she could be. Lovely boat, I adored living on her. X