Brixham marina berth holders

ship-faced

Visit site
Hi. I have just purchased a boat and it is being Moored at Brixham marina.

I don't know anyone from the area, so thought I'd reach out. Anyone else in a similar boat? no pun intended !

Andrew M

Visit site
I'm sure you'll love it there, we do. We moved our boat there in Oct 2019. It can get a bit rolly in certain conditions, you don't want much easterly in the wind but other than that it's a lovely marina and fab cruising base. The town has a lovely atmosphere to it, it is a very active fishing town, and it has some great places to eat, especially fish and chips !

There is a facebook group called Brixham Bay Hoppers, I'd recommend joining that, its for marina berth holders primarily. Obvs there hasn't been much in the way of anything social the past couple of years but the group seems really nice.

There's a lovely healthy wildlife population to just sit at watch and some wonderful walks and places to visit on foot, by car or by boat.
Here's the seals resting on the wave screen outside our galley window yesterday, they are adorable and captivating to watch.

Attachments

• Seals 23.1.2022 B.jpg
    Seals 23.1.2022 B.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 41

ship-faced

Visit site
Thanks all.
I actually created 'Brixham Marina Berth holders' on facebook as I couldn't find anything and I wondered why nothing was made. Please feel free to join it is searchable on facebook. I will join the one you suggested. thanks.

I'm unsure where I am yet. The marina don't yet know themselves, I think they need to do some moving around...

Does anyone recommend a good company to get it craned in? And do they crane it to Brixham or to Dartside?

ozzie

Visit site
we moved from Torquay (berthed there 10 years) to Brixham 2 years ago and love it there! As has already been said there are plenty of nice places for food and drink. Unloading the car outside reception then moving the car to the car park can be a right pain in high season, but thats about the only down side. Great cruising waters in easy distance. Are you familiar with this coastline? We are out on E pontoon, Echo Beach, Bavaria 35HT.

ship-faced

Visit site
we moved from Torquay (berthed there 10 years) to Brixham 2 years ago and love it there! As has already been said there are plenty of nice places for food and drink. Unloading the car outside reception then moving the car to the car park can be a right pain in high season, but thats about the only down side. Great cruising waters in easy distance. Are you familiar with this coastline? We are out on E pontoon, Echo Beach, Bavaria 35HT.

no I’m not familiar with the coastline from Brixham I’m used to cruising round Dartmouth estury and Salcombe but never went as far as Brixham.

I have no friends at all in Brixham hence me creating some Groups to meet some like-minded folk and to get some recommendations on restaurants and bara

I’m not sure where they’re going to place my boat yet they haven’t told me I think they are going to move some boats around and then I will let you know where I am and you can come down and say hello or I will post when I am there and come and see you?

cheers

Seastoke

Visit site
no I’m not familiar with the coastline from Brixham I’m used to cruising round Dartmouth estury and Salcombe but never went as far as Brixham.

I have no friends at all in Brixham hence me creating some Groups to meet some like-minded folk and to get some recommendations on restaurants and bara

I’m not sure where they’re going to place my boat yet they haven’t told me I think they are going to move some boats around and then I will let you know where I am and you can come down and say hello or I will post when I am there and come and see you?

cheers
What size boat do you have .

Seastoke

Visit site
I'm sure you'll love it there, we do. We moved our boat there in Oct 2019. It can get a bit rolly in certain conditions, you don't want much easterly in the wind but other than that it's a lovely marina and fab cruising base. The town has a lovely atmosphere to it, it is a very active fishing town, and it has some great places to eat, especially fish and chips !

There is a facebook group called Brixham Bay Hoppers, I'd recommend joining that, its for marina berth holders primarily. Obvs there hasn't been much in the way of anything social the past couple of years but the group seems really nice.

There's a lovely healthy wildlife population to just sit at watch and some wonderful walks and places to visit on foot, by car or by boat.
Here's the seals resting on the wave screen outside our galley window yesterday, they are adorable and captivating to watch.
Is brixham full.

ashtead

Visit site
We visited Brixham by boat for the first time this summer -found a week at a bertholders berth as they were away and thought staff and location great. We went to the fish restaurant by the fishing boats and sat outside and saw seals. The town to be fair wasn’t great in so so far as supermarkets concerned . Just be aware there’s no petrol at the fuel station which rather surprised us but 5 litres isn’t that much to carry back. There are lovely beaches within an outboard dinghy ride plus you can walk to the grockle lido pool. If we go west again Brixham will defo by go to destination from Portland.

stelican

Visit site
We visited Brixham by boat for the first time this summer -found a week at a bertholders berth as they were away and thought staff and location great. We went to the fish restaurant by the fishing boats and sat outside and saw seals. The town to be fair wasn’t great in so so far as supermarkets concerned . Just be aware there’s no petrol at the fuel station which rather surprised us but 5 litres isn’t that much to carry back. There are lovely beaches within an outboard dinghy ride plus you can walk to the grockle lido pool. If we go west again Brixham will defo by go to destination from Portland.
Where did you find petrol

ashtead

Visit site
We had to walk a couple of miles to a petrol station - we were quite surprised the diesel marina floating station didnt have any but apparently local rules not the marina,

Andrew M

Visit site
Is brixham full.
Hmm, I believe it is...... but you'd defo be best giving them a call if you're interested, I wouldn't know how many have not renewed , and it's time when a load get confirmed or not, and of course it's then going to come down to what size berth you're after, the marina appears to me to be mainly made up of fingers for up to about 35' ish... so that'll have the highest churn. I know when we moved there just over 2 yeas ago we were very lucky to get in.

Andrew M

Visit site
Yep, we were amazed at the place once we'd added it to our possible permanent berth list when we were looking to move. We had always gone straight past it on trips to/from further west from Lymington and only focussed on Salcombe/Dartmouth and then Torquay for a stop in Torbay. It is a really lovely place to have a boat, we have a dog and there is a superb flat paved walk all the way round the harbour to the town if the weather's bad so we only have a wet but clean dog to contend with if we go that way, and the other way leads to a couple of lovely beaches and tiny,tiny bays, plus the sea water swimming pool area and then further on to Berry Head.

Visit site
Brixham is a lovely marina and has a lot of plus points, all tide access, lots of nearby bays for anchoring / swimming and it’s right in the town.

However it also has some big disadvantages, the swell in the marina is horrible with any moderate or above windwith East or North in it.
It’s a long way to the car park with a trolley and the access bridge is too narrow for two trolley’s to pass, loading and unloading can be a nightmare if it’s busy.
There are an abundance of AirB+B boats in the marina so it looses that exclusivity.
The washrooms are basically a public toilet in the summer as they are on the main path between the town and the beach, they are only cleaned first thing in the morning so by the evening are disgusting, we all caught Covid last summer whilst on holiday and almost definitely it was from the washrooms.

Personally I would look at the new marina at Noss or get on the waiting list for Darthaven.

ashtead

Visit site
Yes I can see the car parking would be a pain for permanent bertholders with trolley runs and as you say a new access bridge might be an idea but it’s not a noisy location even with passing grockles along walkway and even though there seemed to be disco place over by the lifeboat station it wasn’t late at night. We also like the various launch ramps for dog swimming and the small garden up top with seats. Clearly don’t know what it’s like in winter for northerly winds though . We were there in July during hot weather and while not a regular user of the washrooms on occasions I visited seem fine even if not same as Berthon or Lym yacht haven -compared to French facilities first rate probably. If you were tempted by Dartmouth then many choices but how do prices compare?

ashtead

Visit site
Well back at Brixham for our second boating visit. Enjoying E pontoon and very helpful resident bertholders took our lines so many thanks to them. The town is quieter than our last trip in 2021 but that’s no bad thing with mostly pensioners and absence of children currently being term time , we are told the berth we are visiting on has no permanent resident which was surprising . Staff very helpful on arrival and showers clean last night but cubicles rather cramped after those of Lymington . Off to check out Rockfish for some fishy delights but also had a recommendation to try out the petite French restaurant on quay if staying longer and Dartmouth let’s us down . Very peaceful here with no low flying helicopters unlike Portland .