Brits having a hard time in AC?

TLouth7

Visit site
Of course there is an interplay of factors, but the rudder could be important here to generate both the right pitch to facilitate initial foiling, and also lift to windward (akin to yaw) to work with the foils to crab / ferry glide upwind. What did he mean in the video when he says AM has 'negative leeway' and a less tightly sheeted main - does that mean lift to windward generated because the foil is in the water at a off-vertical or more flared angle in the water thus pushing the boat upwind, to some extent independently of heading?
Basically the orientation of the hull compared to the direction of travel is now an independent variable that can be played with at the design stage. Presumably AM has considerably toed in foils that generate sufficient sideways force with the hull itself actually pointing slightly to leeward of the course. If you think about it the only real effects of hull orientation are to change the width of the slot between jib and main (assuming adjustable sheeting angle), and on the aero drag.

matt1

Visit site
Really impressive. Let's hope this is a windy regatta but that they still find time to perfect the light airs performance.

wully1

Visit site
I’m happy to admit my initial thoughts on Ineos have proven to be wrong, they looked very fast and comfortable out there today. I hope they can continue to tune up and stay ahead.

Tomahawk

Visit site
What I don't understand is why the grinders are using their arms? yet they basically stay put throughout the race..

I would think in terms of recumbent peddling positions and deploy all the power in a pair of legs .. Probably get as much power out of four legs as six arms?

Laser310

Visit site
una Rossa has protested Britannia

Live sail die has reported that this is settled with no penalty

there is nothing about it, either the protest or its resolution, on the official noticeboard, which is kind of curious...

Reactions: FWB
D

Deleted member 36384

Intense in the light winds, but Ineos managed to get there and through the finish before the time out. The boat just appears to be faster and of course Ben Ainsley is and the tactics appear to be superiors. At 3 out of 3 races won, in various conditions, that is not a fluke. Amazing to see how a hole can stuff a lead as a competitor races up behind at 30kts. Exciting racing.

bedouin

Visit site
Another interesting day on the water. Not good from the racing perspective but great to see Ineos looking so settled. Ben and Giles doing a great job in difficult conditions - sailing rings round AM at the start :) . Also Ineos looking much better in all wind conditions.

Stronger wind forecast for tomorrow - see how things go then.

Anyone know the range of winds allowable this time? I gather from commentary that the low end is 6.5knts but what about the high?

Previous editions have been a bit of a joke with a very narrow range of wind speeds allowed.

peter.m

Visit site
I'm probably completely out of turn here. With such massif improvements between now and before Christmas and with the ultimate competitor in Sir Ben at the helm. Could I possibly suspect an element of gamesmanship here