Brits having a hard time in AC?

bedouin

Visit site
I'm not sure what the rules are about abandoning in the Prada Cup. It is not addressed in the SI's so maybe it's just the RRS?

There are so many documents for this event, that i would be surprised it it's left to the RRS.

Under normal circumstances, both races would have been candidates for abandonment.
I think the time limit achieves that. In both cases the winner only just came in under the time limit and the loser officially DNFed. Even on the shortened course.

Laser310

Visit site
I think the time limit achieves that. In both cases the winner only just came in under the time limit and the loser officially DNFed. Even on the shortened course.

well the time limit would achieve it better if they got rid of the option to shorten course.

I'm pretty sure AM finished race 2 yesterday just inside the time limit

bedouin

Visit site
well the time limit would achieve it better if they got rid of the option to shorten course.

I'm pretty sure AM finished race 2 yesterday just inside the time limit
But INEOS finished only 2 minutes inside the time and I am sure they were about 4 minutes ahead of AM

Incidentally I see there is also a time limit for leg 1 of 12 minutes

Laser310

Visit site
But INEOS finished only 2 minutes inside the time and I am sure they were about 4 minutes ahead of AM

Incidentally I see there is also a time limit for leg 1 of 12 minutes

AM are recorded as DNF for race 1 but not race 2

i saw the 12 min limit - based on min VMG=6kts - pretty sure they could do that in displacement mode the whole leg...

Laser310

Visit site
Today should be quite a bit different: 10-15kts G 25, with rain.

The limit, if I understand it, would be breached if the wind averaged over 21kts for 30 seconds before the start, which doesn't seem likely.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
There was a discussion on the commentary about 15 minutes before the start as to whether they should be changing jibs (apparently it takes 10 minutes!). At that time they were expecting more wind and the discussion was whether they should move to a smaller jib. As it was it was suggested that AM didn't have their largest jib up.

Thanks for that.

Seems that the USA today picked a smaller jib that GB.

Sailing is going to have to create some new terms. I don't like "beached" . "Foiling" seems ok but I rather
like "flying". Non foiling ? Displacement ? Flat ?

From my punter perspective todays racing was brilliant . When you see that speed building to somewhere near
foiling it almost feels like a climax. :)

halcyon

Visit site
I'm probably completely out of turn here. With such massif improvements between now and before Christmas and with the ultimate competitor in Sir Ben at the helm. Could I possibly suspect an element of gamesmanship here

It would appear everything that can be altered has been altered, they have had one day off since racing ended and Mercedes have helped out as well. Were they sandbagging , or was it just hard work by the shore side team ? like to think the later.

Brian

Mudisox

Visit site
The Race committee are restricted by RRS and also the NOR and SIs, that have given both the starting minimums and maximums of wind strength. Abandoning is also under a set of Race Management advice given in the Race Management Manual. Whenever The situation may arise, I always go to the book and discuss it with other members of the Race committee and have defended my actions at the International Protest Committees.
One boat finished the race within the time limit, and the shorten course was allowed under the Rules, and also the time limit rules were stuck to. It is how we go racing.
The boats are designed around these parameters and they were set with the venue in mind. May classes use 5 kts as a minimum starting minimum wind strength. It is just with these boats that 6.5 mean move about but suddenly they need 10+ kts to foil an do 30kts.

Dave100456

Visit site
Another interesting day on the water. Not good from the racing perspective but great to see Ineos looking so settled. Ben and Giles doing a great job in difficult conditions - sailing rings round AM at the start :) . Also Ineos looking much better in all wind conditions.

Stronger wind forecast for tomorrow - see how things go then.

Anyone know the range of winds allowable this time? I gather from commentary that the low end is 6.5knts but what about the high?

Previous editions have been a bit of a joke with a very narrow range of wind speeds allowed.
The permitted wind range is between 6.5 and 21 knots for the Round Robins and the Semi-finals and between 6.5 and 23 knots for the PRADA Cup Final.
Thanks sail.org and google

bedouin

Visit site
That was certainly a great day's racing - a bit of everything and a really good race between LR an Ineos.

Ineos must be the (slight) favourites to get to and win the semi-final but still plenty of time for the others to catch up.

I can't help thinking that TNZ have something of a disadvantage not having as much racing coming into the AC itself