Britain's most expensive marina

doug748

Visit site
+ 1
We've just brought our 12M boat back from Falmouth to Cowes for the winter, having returned from France in July and spent 3 months in Falmouth harbour.
Stopped overnight in Plymouth £40, two nights in Dartmouth £90 then two nights in Portland at £90. Glad that next April we're off back to France, if I don't want to be on a mooring or mud bank I can't afford to sail in the UK anymore !

Dearest in Plymouth seems to be QAB which would cost you £49.20p. per night. Things look bleak in the USA:

1634651385458.png

Hope you left a tip :)

Quiddle

Visit site
Not bothered by the sail away from France for 24 hours issue to reset the VAT clock if and when I need to
But surely you had to request RGR on entering UK waters to exempt yourself from VAT as no UK citizen can own own a boat in UK waters for any period of time without becoming liable for UK VAT? Which means the boat is no longer deemed EU VAT paid. Not an insurmountable problem as you can apply for EU RGR on returning to France but there's a bit more to it then popping out of the EU to the UK to reset the 18 month clock.

awol

Visit site
Yes, but not just Largs. The visitor rates in many Scottish marinas around Oban as well as the Clyde are far from bargain basement. And annual berths certainly not cheap either
Then there is the surcharge for an English (or Edinburgh) home address ........ or further north, for not being a known relative (however distant) of the money collector.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Actually for central London, that is not too bad considering the cost of hotel rooms, and the fact that a boat that size could easily sleep 4 people, more at a pinch.
And they do a 7 nights for the price of 5 deal which brought our costs to around £50 a night - bearing in mind where you are,probably the best value marina in the UK!

Leighb

Visit site
And they do a 7 nights for the price of 5 deal which brought our costs to around £50 a night - bearing in mind where you are,probably the best value marina in the UK!
We have not been for a few years, but have visited perhaps 8 or 9 times. Our finding was that provided you stayed for 7 or more nights it was pretty good value for a “hotel” in that situation. Our son and his family came to visit us there once and it cost the same for one night in the Tower hotel as we paid for 8 nights in the Marina. The deal then was a big reduction on the weekly rate compared with daily x 7, and it was the same rate for extra days.