Britain's most expensive marina

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
We pay £1200 a year for an annual berth in a secure and full service marina in Wellington, NZ. That includes a storage shed for spare gear. All berths are the same cost, our berth can take a 15 metre boat.

Fixed pontoons and fingers as a 1.4 metre tide is a big one in Wellington.

xcw

Visit site
We pay £1200 a year for an annual berth in a secure and full service marina in Wellington, NZ. That includes a storage shed for spare gear. All berths are the same cost, our berth can take a 15 metre boat.

Thank you for that. It has made one south coast (UK) yachtsman very happy ??

newtothis

Visit site

The other cost advantage of berthing in Wellington is that you only need a storm jib and tri-sail. :)

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
The other cost advantage of berthing in Wellington is that you only need a storm jib and tri-sail. :)

Although Wellington is officialy the worlds windiest city, our sailing friend and fellow club member Doug invested in a code zero and won the cruising boat class in 2020.

We find the forecasts reliable, far more so than here and only sail in suitable winds.

We get plenty of time on the water too. And without much reefing.

newtothis

Visit site
We find the forecasts reliable, far more so than here and only sail in suitable winds.

Not difficult when it is reliably a force nine southerly. When I lived there the line was that you could tell a local because they were the ones that didn't bother chasing after their hats when they were blown off.

Stemar

Visit site
Another thread which puts me off buying boats, and turns me towards charter only.
That's fine if you can plan ahead for your sailing, but it's still not a cheap option. A week's charter would cover my entire sailing budget for a good year, sailing an older boat and keeping it on a drying mooring. Even if something expensive happens, it's unlikely to be more than another couple of weeks chartering.

I'm also in a position to say the weather looks good for the next few days, let's head off to the boat, grab a change of clothes and a pint of milk, and go, knowing everything else I want is on board.

Visit site
That's fine if you can plan ahead for your sailing, but it's still not a cheap option. A week's charter would cover my entire sailing budget for a good year, sailing an older boat and keeping it on a drying mooring. Even if something expensive happens, it's unlikely to be more than another couple of weeks chartering.

I'm also in a position to say the weather looks good for the next few days, let's head off to the boat, grab a change of clothes and a pint of milk, and go, knowing everything else I want is on board.
Indeed, it's not cheap, but for the type of boat I was thinking about (C 12 years old and 32-34 ft) in a marina near me, I'd budgeted C £11k annually, without borrowing money. You get a lot of boat in Croatia for that, especially if shared between four people.

Lightwave395

Visit site
Another thread that makes me glad that my boat's now in Brittany.

+ 1
We've just brought our 12M boat back from Falmouth to Cowes for the winter, having returned from France in July and spent 3 months in Falmouth harbour.
Stopped overnight in Plymouth £40, two nights in Dartmouth £90 then two nights in Portland at £90. Glad that next April we're off back to France, if I don't want to be on a mooring or mud bank I can't afford to sail in the UK anymore !

awol

Visit site
+ 1
We've just brought our 12M boat back from Falmouth to Cowes for the winter, having returned from France in July and spent 3 months in Falmouth harbour.
Stopped overnight in Plymouth £40, two nights in Dartmouth £90 then two nights in Portland at £90. Glad that next April we're off back to France, if I don't want to be on a mooring or mud bank I can't afford to sail in the UK anymore !
But can you afford the VAT?