Bristol Floating Harbour

DazzyWoo

Visit site
Hi, I'm living in Bristol and currently boatless. To get me over the situation I was thinking of getting a small tender for pootling in and around the harbour.

I'm finding the harbour master's office difficult to get hold of. I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction to answer these questions:

1. Slips - I believe there is one by the yacht club, and one by the cottage. are these open for public use? Are there any others that can be used? (e.g. i think there is one by the Novia Scotia, but this appears to be chained off.

2. Once launched, can the boat be left in for a few days or even weeks at a time? (subject to paying the necessary harbour dues)

3. If left in docks; can it be moored in any free places?

thansk
DW

Sneds

Visit site
Hi

Not sure about a "yacht club" in Bristol but Bristol Marina have a slip that you can pay to use, they will also sell you a navigation licence, this will not allow you to moor in the docks, just use the water way

You can't tie up in any free place as, if on a pontoon, it will be someone's space

You can tie up by the cottage FOC

Bristol Marina may find you a place to stay for a reasonable fee

DazzyWoo

Visit site
Hi

Not sure about a "yacht club" in Bristol but Bristol Marina have a slip that you can pay to use, they will also sell you a navigation licence, this will not allow you to moor in the docks, just use the water way

You can't tie up in any free place as, if on a pontoon, it will be someone's space

You can tie up by the cottage FOC

Bristol Marina may find you a place to stay for a reasonable fee

Thanks Sneds - i was just hoping to be able to tie up. I appreciate security will be an issue!

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
There is another a slipway by the Ostrich (by Bathurst Basin).

The harbour master was harassing a motorboat by the lock gates yesterday. I think possibly all sport is permitted as long as it does not involve being in the floating harbour in these Covid19 times. .

Harbour master will remove unattended boats, and managed to lose or sell my dinghy.

There are no free places, though I have sneaked in by the Nova Scotia for a night or so when visiting but not paying to attend harbour festival.

Harbour master not good at answering phone or indeed VHF except at HW when lock in use

DazzyWoo

Visit site
Thanks OMOFT. I think the harbour is closed down due to CV19 restrictions - certainly all the yards are padlocked with notices to that effect. Good point re: Ostrich.

I think maybe my best bet would be to find a friendly berth holder (probs live aboard) who would let me tie up long side for a reasonable fee.

Last edited:

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
My experience is that , if you turn up saying "I would like to/thinking of..." then you will be politely given an impossible set or requirements. If you turn up in your boat and ask politely then the responses will be completely different/helpful. I think they get a lot of interest from good intention-ed people who are, ultimately, time wasters.