Bristol closed!

Allan

Visit site
We're stuck in Bristol harbour until they fix the lock! After we arrived on Friday, apparently one of the sluices failed. They now need to lift the whole assembly out.
Waiting to hear what's happening.
Allan

graham

Visit site
Thats bad luck Alan .I hope they resolve it quickly.
I wonder if they could use the same crane they use for the sluice to lift you out into the river?

Allan

Visit site
Thats bad luck Alan .I hope they resolve it quickly.
I wonder if they could use the same crane they use for the sluice to lift you out into the river?
A good idea, but not possible as we can't get close enough to the lock due to emergency gates being closed.
Allan

Allan

Visit site
I hope they charge you a reduced fee!
During the, very embarrassed, phone call informing me of the problem, the deputy harbour master said "of course, we won't be charging you." The harbour staff have been great. After a little discussion, they waived the ten quid charge to pump out the holding tank. We're still waiting for any details of time scale.
Allan

Allan

Visit site
We cycled down to the lock today to watch the crane at work. Subject to confirmation tomorrow morning, we should be leaving early on the lunchtime tide.
They lifted the frame that holds the paddle and found about 10% of the paddle still attached. It looks to have broken and gone missing. They assume it's gone down the tunnel where the water goes. At present they've dropped a replacement paddle in place which is blocking the sluice, so they can empty the lock using the other three.
Our fingers are crossed!
Allan

Allan

Visit site
Time to re-open the back door at Bathurst Basin! OK, there are some bridge in the way, but nothing money can't sort.
Funny you should mention money. I first moved to Bristol in 2004 and have always thought of it as a prosperous city. During our enforced stay, we were walking and cycling around a city I didn't recognise. It was covered in temporary fencing and broken things. It seems if something breaks they just put a temporary fence around it. These fences are covered in various plants and weeds as they've all been there a while. Since leaving we've been to Tenby and Pembroke dock, both places that look well looked after.
It's a real shame!
Allan

Other threads that may be of interest