Bristol Channel Meet - Location(s)

LeytonC

Visit site
Well hopefully we can - or at least enough that people will want to come, at that time of year i should be out for a weeks holiday, and if other people are maybe we can have multiple meets! At thi stage of the game we are just registering interest, nothing firm will be decided for a while. (i would have thought)

ChrisChevey

Visit site
I’m coming and I don’t care where or when, /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
how is Gludy getting there he hasn’t a boat yet /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Elza_Skip

Visit site
Anchoring overnight in ou 25 footer somewhere fairly exposed like Lundy is always going to be a challenge for us.

As a compromise are there any other bays where you can anchor but in better shelter.

As for Cardiff Bay, there are visitor pontoons run by the harbour authority which are pay and display, £1 per hour, you can stay overnight (no facilities and you would need a holding tank). however these are near the restaurants therefore handy for food and drinks but can be noisy at week-ends

LeytonC

Visit site
Agree there - you have seen my boat! - so having a secondary port is important. Problem is cardif and watchet seem the most logical (IMHO) but i am not fixed on those...

i have to admit i thought you could not stop overnight on the pontoons near cardif, CBYC would seem the best place - but access to places suck. what about the other YC towards cardif? not only that i think they are converting 1 of the old dry docks to a visitors marina thing, but i might be wrong there.

graham

Visit site
Thats correct .One of the old mount stuart drydocks now has pontoons with electricity,I believe overnighting is allowed there.

. Its only a 5 minute walk around to the Mermaid Quay area and probably quieter for those that want to sleep at least part of the night. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cardiff Yacht Club is nearer to town than CBYC i imagine they would allow visitors to stop overnight.There is at least one forum user who is a member at CYC .

wakeup

Visit site
Sami, You are right if you are talking about the visitors mooring directly outside Mermaid Quay. This has jsut been extended to take more boats this year. You cannot over night there. Anyway it wouldn't be that comofrtable because you get a swell from the fetch across the bay so lumpy bumpy all night. The new visitors morrings in the old graving dock is a better bet and you can overnight there I've been told so by the HM even though the sings might say not. It is quiet and sheltered there also as someone else has said but only 2 minutes walk to all the restaurants and bars. It is also secure, has electickery and water. There is also a holding tank pump out on the other side of the bay. But no showeres or loos at graving dock morrings. I reckon you could get 20 boats in there at a push.

Jinks

Visit site
Certainly interested in this. Swmbo and I have done Lundy from Swansea 4 or 5 times in my 25 footer with no problems but I too would be reluctant to spend the night at anchor in such a small boat. There are a few buoys in the bay to tie up to so that's always a possibility.

I can also vouch for the fun that can be had launching a dinghy and rowing back to the boat after a skinful in the pub and a treacherous walk down the (very) steep hill in the pitch dark.

Most of the other suggestions would work for me but drying out is not an option if we are sleeping on the boat.

Has a firm date been suggested yet?

muckypup

Visit site
Leyton gets my vote for being official "arranger of the trip"... we could get Paul with his aussie rope strippers on to make sure there are no lobster pots in front of us on the way over /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Steve

graham

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
we could get Paul with his aussie rope strippers on to make sure there are no lobster pots in front of us on the way over

[/ QUOTE ]
I doubt if a RN minesweeper could guarantee a pot free passage /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nigelgarbutt

Visit site
Hi everone!
A new member to your forum and another vessel and crew in Bristol Channel interested in joining you all for a drink etc.

Has Lundy been dropped? Would have been wonderful with a good pub etc and less than 40% chance of comfortable anchorage!

I'm happy with Cardiff, Watchet or Swansea but Milford is a bit far for a long weekend.

I just need a date well ahead, has this yet been decided?

Any boats likely to come from Sharpness/Bristol cruising around 8Kn. ?

Take care

LeytonC

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
A new member to your forum and another vessel and crew in Bristol Channel interested in joining you all for a drink etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello and welcome /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Has Lundy been dropped? Would have been wonderful with a good pub etc and less than 40% chance of comfortable anchorage!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, we have not decided on where we are going yet

[ QUOTE ]

I'm happy with Cardiff, Watchet or Swansea but Milford is a bit far for a long weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Milford is out for me as well

[ QUOTE ]

I just need a date well ahead, has this yet been decided?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, We we start the process of dates and places very soon, i just need to get some things sorted out this week...

Then I think i will put some polls up to see what people think.

[ QUOTE ]

Any boats likely to come from Sharpness/Bristol cruising around 8Kn. ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah me, i moor in sharpness on the G&S

Other threads that may be of interest