Bristol Channel Cruising Club?

PCUK

Visit site
There has been so much interest in this Lundy thing, along with various other suggestions, perhaps it is time to broaden the remit and form an informal BCCC. A club without Commodores and committees, (bin there, done that, bought the blazer!)
I am thinking along the lines of a web based club (perhaps an internet guru can advise on the practicality of this).
Anyone who wants to suggest a cruise or meet up, places the details on the site and those who are interested put their names forward and make the arrangements via the website.
Club members could have their boats and whatever personal details they want within the club listing on the site.
Maybe have an annual dinner and dance or whatever, somewhere near the Severn Bridge to equally accommodate North and South Coast.

graham

Visit site
Excellent idea. what about using the events forum on this site to anounce venues add names and boats etc?

LeytonC

Visit site
There is (or was?) a yahoo groups thing for bristol channel already, but i stopped looking at it due to nothing happening on it (i thought at 1 point i was the only member). it would be better to have a forum on here cos many people use it and people will see it. IMHO

muckypup

Visit site
Why not simply rename this group to "Bristol Channel Cruising Club"? (BCCc) and simply use individual threads within for different events?

Steve

LeytonC

Visit site
sounds a good idea, i will PM keith and see what he says... Might leave it for a while to be the meet for next year just until everyone is on here!!!

G

I like this idea moving to watchet with boat in the summer and would love to be involved in a cruising club in the area.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
How about dropping the word "Club"? Then peeps like me with a strong aversion to anything "organised" may drop in to look.
BTW when I visit clubhouses I put down "ISC" for my club. "Oh yes, which sailing club is that then?" "Independant Sailing Chap"

muckypup

Visit site
How about

"The bristol channel and other waters surrounding the british isles and europe, loosely and strictly non-associated association of people who wish to sail in the same general direction"

we could be called TBCAOWSTBIAELSNAOPWWTSITSGD...

S.

timreadbean

Visit site
This seems to be a thread for motor boaters, any other sailers out there who fancy this idea?
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
I sail to Lundy from Portishead maybe half a dozen times a year, and the thought of "sailing in company" is pretty awful (being a grumpy old scrote). However, arriving somewhere for the social sounds quite good, especially if the previous correspondence gives something to look forward to.

We could keep in PM touch to see if any dates/opportunities coincide, but as regards the Lundy (or wherever) "Meet", I may try show up, but I wouldn't book my holiday to do it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LizzyD

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I read this site and just registered. I'd be well up for this idea. It's another place besides books, leaflets and the occasional scare on the water to learn from other sailors / cruisers etc.

Damo - I think we met at Portishead Marina the other week. My boat is the clipper Lizzy Drippin. (Yes - I know. Horrific name. But superstition won't let me change it.)

Mike