Bristol based person looking to swap boat maintenance help to learn to sail.

Jim Cosmic

Visit site
Hi,

I'd really like to get into sailing; I feel that I have allot to offer to someone willing to teach me. I'm an electrician by trade with a thorough understanding of DC & AC electrical systems. I am also Gas Safe registered. I can MIG weld to a reasonable standard and I have 20 years of vehicle maintenance experience. I have contemporary and classic, diesel and petrol vehicles that only go to the garage for MOT's and tyres.

I have a van that would be useful to transport bulky items. I also have a large selection of professional tools at my disposal.

I would like to help someone keep their boat seaworthy; possibly teach someone any of the above skills, In return I would like to learn to sail. I'm self employed so I can be flexible with my time.

Please get in touch if this interests you.

Kind Regards,

Jim Cosstick

TwoHooter

Visit site
Welcome to the boating world, I hope you get a lot out of your involvement.

Barter does have a part to play in boating, but not as much as you might think, and I'm doubtful about whether many private boat owners would want to spend time teaching a novice in exchange for work on the boat. I might be wrong about that, time will tell.

The other way of approaching this would be for you to use any surplus income and time to (1) join a club as suggested above, (2) take the excellent RYA courses, and (3) eventually buy your own boat (and probably hire an instructor for tuition on your own boat), then eventually (4) start picking up some boat electrical work. But marine electrical work is VERY different to land-based work. Most of the work is electronics and I suggest you start following this website: Panbo.com to get a handle on that side of things. Also read the Practical Boat Owner forum, there are lots of electrical threads on there.

Jim Cosmic

Visit site

Barter does have a part to play in boating, but not as much as you might think, and I'm doubtful about whether many private boat owners would want to spend time teaching a novice in exchange for work on the boat. I might be wrong about that, time will tell.

The other way of approaching this would be for you to use any surplus income and time to (1) join a club as suggested above, (2) take the excellent RYA courses, and (3) eventually buy your own boat (and probably hire an instructor for tuition on your own boat), then eventually (4) start picking up some boat electrical work. But marine electrical work is VERY different to land-based work. Most of the work is electronics and I suggest you start following this website: Panbo.com to get a handle on that side of things. Also read the Practical Boat Owner forum, there are lots of electrical threads on there.

Thank you for your response, Ma

Just to expand; My parents had an inland boat, I've done camper conversions, off grid installations and more. Hence why I say I have experience with DC electrical systems. Granted I would not be able to repair complicated electronics. But I could install them safely; taking into consideration IP ratings, EM interference etc.

Brentwales

Visit site
Thank you for your response. Would you recommend contacting the club or is there somewhere I can post?

Yeah, contact the club or see if they have a Facebook page. All of the Bristol channel clubs are very welcoming.

I was very much in your position a few years ago. I bought a cheap boat to start off with, learned the basics and have now moved up to a bigger boat.

Axebridge reservoir had a dinghy sailing club, have you thought about having a lesson or two there to get some of the basics, there must be some dinghy sailing in and around the Bristol harbour too I'd imagine.

Allan

Visit site
Hi,

I'd really like to get into sailing; I feel that I have allot to offer to someone willing to teach me. I'm an electrician by trade with a thorough understanding of DC & AC electrical systems. I am also Gas Safe registered. I can MIG weld to a reasonable standard and I have 20 years of vehicle maintenance experience. I have contemporary and classic, diesel and petrol vehicles that only go to the garage for MOT's and tyres.

I have a van that would be useful to transport bulky items. I also have a large selection of professional tools at my disposal.

I would like to help someone keep their boat seaworthy; possibly teach someone any of the above skills, In return I would like to learn to sail. I'm self employed so I can be flexible with my time.

Please get in touch if this interests you.

Kind Regards,

Jim Cosstick
Jim,
You should get a great response, I speak to people regularly who need crew and many rely on, so called, professionals to work on their boats. I would imagine that could be your only problem. Some people insist on using people with a van sign written with the word marine!
Good luck,
Allan

rawley

Visit site
Hi Jim,
My advice is to sign up for a RYA Competent Crew course (normally a week on a shared boat). Lot's of places do them. Not that cheap - obviously (nothing to do with boats ever is it seems), but treat it as a holiday. I did that many years ago and it was a really enjoyable week- anyway.
With that basic qualification, you are more likely to get offers of crewing for people with their own boats who want some help.

nazarmuna

Visit site
Hi Jim

Another possibility is Thornbury Sailing Club who are based at Oldbury-on-Severn, not too far north of Bristol and are a super friendly club run by members. When I joined, the fee was £120 per year, hence only £10 per month.

They have both cruising (yachts) and dinghy sailing and run their own training courses. You can even hire the club dinghies for a nominal fee. The cruising members are routinely on the lookout for crew.

Best of luck!

WoodyP

Visit site
With your skills the sailing should be easy. I can recommend the RYA courses, as they are progressive, and structured to enable you to learn to sail and skipper your own boat or be good crew on someone else's.
Once you have the understanding of the boaty bits you could have a whole new career ?

rawley

Visit site
Hi Jim

Another possibility is Thornbury Sailing Club who are based at Oldbury-on-Severn, not too far north of Bristol and are a super friendly club run by members. When I joined, the fee was £120 per year, hence only £10 per month.

They have both cruising (yachts) and dinghy sailing and run their own training courses. You can even hire the club dinghies for a nominal fee. The cruising members are routinely on the lookout for crew.

Best of luck!
I agree. I know a couple of the guys there and they are really decent blokes. Also, there used to be a really good pub nearby (The Anchor - I hope it's still open). :cool: