Bringing Varnish Back To Life

STATUE

Visit site
Honestly, I have been putting the lid back on fully and turning the can upside-down, but I have still ended up with one pot Epifanes varnish with lumps in it.

I don't mean that cured skin part way down the can, but glutinous globules floating around.

I have tried Epifanes Brush Thinners.

Help please.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Normally have a pretty long shelf life.

When at first opened, did you put anything at all into the tin? Brush, stirring things... The slightest contamination can cause chemistry to react.

Instead of trying many ways to fix it (and end up with a product with unkown properties) , I'd rather go for a new tin - Epifanes or other. Just because the effort to prepare surfaces and put on layers is way to big to risk failure from a 'home blend' varnish.. - eventually forcing you to remove all and start over!

lusitano

Visit site
If you are quite sure that there is no contamination, stir until you have as many of the lumps as possible disolved, and then strain , through an old pair of the wife,s tights, into a clean jar or suchlike.

srm

Visit site
I assume that is in an industrial sized (5ltr plus) tin that you are trying to save - otherwise is it really worth all the effort vs buying a new small tin and getting a reliable finish?

Yngmar

Visit site
Apart from all the advice already given (don't contaminate by sticking anything in, pour what you need and then close the container), my varnish lasts years when stored in absence of air. I just buy some drinking water in small plastic bottles (0.33l or thereabouts), once the water is used I dry them out thoroughly. Then fill the varnish in there and crush the bottle until all air is squeezed out and screw the cap on. The bottles look horribly mangled but never leak and the varnish stays happy in there for years.