Bringing a boat back from the Med - bridge clearance

andrewbarker

Visit site
I may have to bring my boat back from Spain before next June because of the VAT nonsense. I'm tempted to bring her back by sea/waterways.
Her bridge clearance is stated as 3.56 metres. The snag is, the French Waterways air draught is stated as 3.50 metres.
Has anyone done this trip? I'd welcome an opinion as to whether, with judicious loading & full tanks, it might be feasible to get under the canal bridges. Is there any margin of safety with the stated French limits, or would it lead to disaster?
Actually, it wouldn't be disaster, but I really don't want to have to dismantle the flybridge and reassemble the whole thing at Le Havre.

PlanB

Visit site
What boat? You may be able to lower the radar arch. Next thing is the coaming. We were going to do this with our Princess 435 but in the end decided the trip via Biscay was more fun.
Others on here have experience of the canals, incl. Grehan, who has a website..

andrewbarker

Visit site
Yes - it's the radar arch that's the real problem. It can be taken off, but there's so much trim as well as all the electrics, aerials and so on that I'd really sooner not mess around with all that. It's a Bayliner 3058, so there's no chance of Biscay I'm afraid!

Alicatt

Visit site
Yes - it's the radar arch that's the real problem. It can be taken off, but there's so much trim as well as all the electrics, aerials and so on that I'd really sooner not mess around with all that. It's a Bayliner 3058, so there's no chance of Biscay I'm afraid!
One of the boats I had been looking at was a 2855 Bayliner and even it may have some problems with the radar arch on the French canals, well the one I was looking at did. The other thing that I looked at was comparing the cost of going via the canals back to Belgium or getting it transported via ship and the costs were comparable, in fuel alone for the single engine 2855 was over €4000 and then there was the amount of time it would take.

andrewbarker

Visit site
One of the boats I had been looking at was a 2855 Bayliner and even it may have some problems with the radar arch on the French canals, well the one I was looking at did. The other thing that I looked at was comparing the cost of going via the canals back to Belgium or getting it transported via ship and the costs were comparable, in fuel alone for the single engine 2855 was over €4000 and then there was the amount of time it would take.
Thanks - the problem with transporting the boat back is that there's virtually nothing going south to the Med, so there are virtually no return loads on offer. I've been quoted £8000 for overland truck transport.

JB

Visit site
Thanks - the problem with transporting the boat back is that there's virtually nothing going south to the Med, so there are virtually no return loads on offer. I've been quoted £8000 for overland truck transport.

Wow that is expensive. Maybe look at shipping, Peters&May, Sevenstar?

sunny times

Visit site
Hi to all reading this. I have the same, returning from Antibes, same price As you were quoted. Has anyone looked at a French haulier taking to Calais and then back into water and we cross the water ourselves. Just one of my considerations. Good luck

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Hi to all reading this. I have the same, returning from Antibes, same price As you were quoted. Has anyone looked at a French haulier taking to Calais and then back into water and we cross the water ourselves. Just one of my considerations. Good luck
I know someone who has just done that very thing. Antibes to N France somewhere. I think he paid about 6k, much bigger boat too.

Portofino

Visit site
Arie d Boom @ La Rague .
Dutch family run firm ( run rings round the locals in terms of work ethic etc ) .
Always trucking boats N and receiving boats coming S .
If it ends up at a yard in Holland it will be safe and well looked after , reassembled ( radar etc ) until you work within Covid restrictions to collect and sail away .

Trust the French .Hmm tricky question tricky answer .

oldgit

Visit site
Chum took a Fairline Turbo 36 down through the canals a year or two ago.
Radar arch hinged , only the flyscreen to worry about. He experienced no problems getting under any of the bridges except when due to flooding the water levels were higher than usual.
Most radar arches will have a joint somewhere at the base.
Another friend with a Princess 330 simply removed his radar arch to get under Windsor Bridge on the Thames and bolted it back in situ on the way back.
Enough slack in all internal cabling to lay it down .
Easy to get a piece of batten and a plumb to get exact airdraft of flyscreen .
On my P35 the flyscreen is 3.22 m and the radar arch 3.82 without the radar dome.
Hinged arch would give worry free access to EU canals and on return to civilization :) access to virtually all the non tidal thames and probably many other UK navigations.

Last edited:

andrewbarker

Visit site
Chum took a Fairline Turbo 36 down through the canals a year or two ago.
Radar arch hinged , only the flyscreen to worry about. He experienced no problems getting under any of the bridges except when due to flooding the water levels were higher than usual.
Most radar arches will have a joint somewhere at the base.
Another friend with a Princess 330 simply removed his radar arch to get under Windsor Bridge on the Thames and bolted it back in situ on the way back.
Enough slack in all internal cabling to lay it down .
Easy to get a piece of batten and a plumb to get exact airdraft of flyscreen .
On my P35 the flyscreen is 3.22 m and the radar arch 3.82 without the radar dome.
Hinged arch would give worry free access to EU canals and on return to civilization :) access to virtually all the non tidal thames and probably many other UK navigations.
Thanks OG. I know mine doesn't hinge - it's 3 or 4 bolts. I could make it hinged if it was here in the UK, but everything - tools, work time/space etc is so much harder out in Spain. The arch is also covered in some leatherette material screwed onto board which I'll probably destroy trying to remove it. I don't really want to be seen on the upper Thames with tatty upholstery!

oldgit

Visit site
Thanks OG. I know mine doesn't hinge - it's 3 or 4 bolts. I could make it hinged if it was here in the UK, but everything - tools, work time/space etc is so much harder out in Spain. The arch is also covered in some leatherette material screwed onto board which I'll probably destroy trying to remove it. I don't really want to be seen on the upper Thames with tatty upholstery!

It is also de rigueur that on "Gods own Royal Waterway" all your fenders are of the correct pattern and that matching Full Technical Gear must be warn at all times between locks, the more worrying the shade of Pastel the better.

PlanB

Visit site
And, I noted with horror when new to bating, pearls and handbags are de rigeur for lady crew (heaven forfend they should be allowed to drive the boat).