• UPDATED INFORMATION & ADVICE - PLEASE READ NOW

'I didn't know/I wasn't told' will not be a valid defence if you fail to comply and lose your access to the off-topic area, core topic areas, or the entire YBW forum as a result. Full details can be found here, please read before you proceed.

Brilliant read...

Gary Fox

He needs to reef the main. On that basis alone, I wouldn't use it as toilet paper.

webcraft

Well, I thought it was a decent smorgasbord of sailing and human relationships seasoned with a dash of eldritch horror.

Sam Lewellyn's books are competent but a little two-dimensional IMO

And traditional mainsails make very uncomfortable bogroll...

- W

Euphonyx

I'm struggling a bit too. It's not exactly gripping! but I've started so I'll finish

Easticks28

I'm struggling a bit too. It's not exactly gripping! but I've started so I'll finish
My mother in law is like that. Never been able to understand that. If an author hasn't involved me within 50 or so pages I'll not waste time with it any more.

webcraft

Perhaps I should have made it clear that this is not a "thriller"

Clancy fans will be disappointed.

- W

Slowtack

My normal practice is first line, first para, first page... Then decide whether or not to buy.... No use online shopping...

Euphonyx

My mother in law is like that. Never been able to understand that. If an author hasn't involved me within 50 or so pages I'll not waste time with it any more.
In that case she and I have probably read most of W. Somerset Maugham and Graham Green and you probably have read the first 50 pages ... I'm not sure which of us is better for that!

Slowtack

I'm trying to avoid making Mr Bezos any better off.................

ellisael

plunging up this old thread because i was looking for some sea faring situations as good reads! Thanks fellas. Going to take a look at Gudgion. Having said that, i really love the mid portions of Gulliver's Travels where he sails back home and finds something missing- there is a sea farer's heart right there!