Brightlingsea Harbour first class service.

johnalison

Visit site
Brightlingsea is full of rogues and ruffians and are not to be trusted. We in Wivenhoe have been saying this for a few centuries and we're not changing now.

tillergirl

Visit site
"If ever a place needed a harbourmaster it is Brightlingsea, and it should be a rule of the port that every craft must be moored. Another nuisance is the trribe of urchings which bear down on to one's dinghy when approaching the hard. One is almost deafened by the shill shrieks of 'Mind your boat, sir'! as some twenty or thirty youthful ruffians wade ot alost waist-deep and lay vilent hards on the dinghy. It is blackmail pure and simple: for, if the yachtsman does not consent to have his boat looked after by one of the tribe, he will probably find her anchored in the middle of the creek on his return. I might mention that a Brightlingsea boy's idea of 'minding your boat' is to use it in the owenr's absence for the purpose of ferrying people across the creek." I best stop there, it gets worse.

Denek

Visit site
"If ever a place needed a harbourmaster it is Brightlingsea, and it should be a rule of the port that every craft must be moored. Another nuisance is the trribe of urchings which bear down on to one's dinghy when approaching the hard. One is almost deafened by the shill shrieks of 'Mind your boat, sir'! as some twenty or thirty youthful ruffians wade ot alost waist-deep and lay vilent hards on the dinghy. It is blackmail pure and simple: for, if the yachtsman does not consent to have his boat looked after by one of the tribe, he will probably find her anchored in the middle of the creek on his return. I might mention that a Brightlingsea boy's idea of 'minding your boat' is to use it in the owenr's absence for the purpose of ferrying people across the creek." I best stop there, it gets worse.
We had no experience of this but we used the water taxi. Will certainly be aware though. We are back there next week hopefully. Thanks for the heads up. Urchins are everywhere I think. We watched a group of kids at halfpenny pier ride a bicycle into the water by the fuel station last year. We made the Harbour master aware and it was arranged to have it removed. We had abuse from the group of youths too. the gate was left permanently open which allowed the access. I think this has changed now.

Visit site
Harbour staff very friendly and accommodating, even at short notice visited twice in last 2 years, one of them on Thursday on trip homeward from Broads.
T.G Your comment in post 26 reminds me of Queenboro' in the 60's and 70's. Long before it went all up market and had an ATL!

Time Out

Visit site
My in-laws have a flat in the marina development. Purchase off plan when new as a holiday home. Then it all Went horribly wrong !

Until last weekend I had not visited since they purchased it and was pleasantly surprised by how much nicer the whole waterside development had become including water in the marina !!

The flat has aged reasonably well and I can assure you they are not on benefits!

Also had three very good meals in the Yachtsman. Not much else to do when storm Francis paid a visit !

Couple of people looked vaguely familiar on my promenade walk and now I know why !

I probably served you a free beer in a former life ..

johnalison

Visit site
My in-laws have a flat in the marina development. Purchase off plan when new as a holiday home. Then it all Went horribly wrong !

Until last weekend I had not visited since they purchased it and was pleasantly surprised by how much nicer the whole waterside development had become including water in the marina !!

The flat has aged reasonably well and I can assure you they are not on benefits!

Also had three very good meals in the Yachtsman. Not much else to do when storm Francis paid a visit !

Couple of people looked vaguely familiar on my promenade walk and now I know why !

I probably served you a free beer in a former life ..
I have only visited the new development once or twice, to visit a friend. Another friend calls it the Travelodge. Nice views though.

Time Out

Visit site
I have only visited the new development once or twice, to visit a friend. Another friend calls it the Travelodge. Nice views though.

Without question it’s very much like a Travel Lodge !

That said they have a top floor with very high ceilings and very spacious bedrooms.

Perhaps I am too used to London !

MikeBz

Visit site
The marina development is often referred to as Cell Block H. That said, being inside looking out is very nice and the half of it they finally finished recently does look a lot better.

If the depth in the marina has reduced from 2m over CD to 1m there must be a lot of very soft silt accumulation, into which your keel will probably sink without you even noticing.

A Ferrari was drowned in the car park in the 2013 floods - it belonged to a flat owner who was away. The car keys were in the flat. Someone offered to break into the flat to get the keys and move it but he declined. At least that's the version of the story I heard.