Brightlingsea By Air at Very High Water

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Once upon a time, there used to be an employee called the Hard Master (a local old waterman) who collected the fees and organised the hard as opposed to the Harbour Master who was a different chap.

Wasn't there some sort of court case about use of the Public hard and they are no longer allowed to charge fees. I seem to have a distant memory about this

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Yes. It transpires that the hard is "public right of way" or similar for which they are not allowed to charge.

Was that not just for Local's as I remember. Of course how anyone would tell I know not. Are there Harbour dues to pay though

tillergirl

Visit site
In 1959, there was no Hard Master hut.

Mersea certainly doesn't charge dues for either of the Hards. But there again there is no Harbour authority or Harbour Master

Attachments

• scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 77
  • scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 78

Bigplumbs

Visit site
In 1959, there was no Hard Master hut.

Mersea certainly doesn't charge dues for either of the Hards. But there again there is no Harbour authority or Harbour Master

What lovely Pictures those are. People doing what we do now just in different boats.... Not a Paddle board in sight ! :)

tillergirl

Visit site
A Vauxhall Cresta PA? Certainly a Vauxhall.

Now how about a proper car - 1952 Hotchkiss Paris-Nice - 3 litre genuine 100mph car with 'electric' gear change. Now that was a car! No, not me, my brother.

Attachments

• On the road to Le Mans 1954.jpg
    On the road to Le Mans 1954.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 32

Crowblack

Visit site
We decided to have a little trip to Brightlingsea and arrived at very high water. I was interested to see that the little hut has a sign on it saying Hard Master rather than the usual Harbour master I wonder what that is all about

video below

Thank you for the video - - - but doesn't the development on the old James & Stone shipyard stick out like a very very sore thumb.

I knew it looked awful from ground level but from the air it shows what's been lost and potentially what could have been.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Thank you for the video - - - but doesn't the development on the old James & Stone shipyard stick out like a very very sore thumb.

I knew it looked awful from ground level but from the air it shows what's been lost and potentially what could have been.

I think the new development is somewhat overpowering to be honest I was pleased to see a very old wooden building next to it that looked like a workshop. I hope this will remain to remind people of what it was like.

Cobra

Visit site
I think the new development is somewhat overpowering to be honest I was pleased to see a very old wooden building next to it that looked like a workshop. I hope this will remain to remind people of what it was like.
Yes, that yard belonged to the late Cyril White. Cyril was a real character who built superb wooden folkboats (amongst many others). There was a yard cat called Nelson...a vicious bloody thing...had one eye (other was lost in a fight), half an ear (lost in a fight) a stump of a tail (who knows!) and would hide in Cyrils wood pile waiting for rats and mice or someone daft enough to put a hand into the pile. Cyril always approached that pile with great trepidation! The yard is now run by Jon Brett who is keeping up the traditional boat building skills.

As for Cell Block H on the old James & Stone site...the less said the better!

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Yes, that yard belonged to the late Cyril White. Cyril was a real character who built superb wooden folkboats (amongst many others). There was a yard cat called Nelson...a vicious bloody thing...had one eye (other was lost in a fight), half an ear (lost in a fight) a stump of a tail (who knows!) and would hide in Cyrils wood pile waiting for rats and mice or someone daft enough to put a hand into the pile. Cyril always approached that pile with great trepidation! The yard is now run by Jon Brett who is keeping up the traditional boat building skills.

As for Cell Block H on the old James & Stone site...the less said the better!

Although I am a Construction Development Surveyor I sincerely hope that John Brett keeps it sort as how it is and does not sure come to the evil greed of the Developers.... Time will tell

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
I've always enjoyed B'sea's strange charm; it does have a personality all of its own I think. One of the sailing barges I was involved with was one of the last vessels to undergo major work at James & Stone. What a dreadful mess has been made of the site - it could have been exciting and in keeping with its surroundings instead of deliberately looking out of place. A bit like the new world order stamping its mark on the old.

There's a campaign running to stop the marina above the commercial quay encroaching in to the channel. Ordinarily it might not be a bad idea but it would make it very difficult for ships to turn above the quay, and just as importantly, restrict access to the boatyard at Toosey.