Brewing Up with an Inverter on a small boat

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Now we all like to have a brew up when on our boats. During lockdown I converted our old Toyota Previa into a campervan complete with separate leisure battery and charge circuit and a 3000 w inverter from ebay that cost about £40.00. In the van it works very well and boils a 900w Kettle with ease.

Now on our smaller boats where I don't want to carry a separate 'leisure' battery and I just fancy using the starter battery that is charged by the outboard and is 80 Amp hour to Brew up on the inverter. I fancy this as I think it is far safer than gas powered small stove on what is a petrol fuelled 4.5 m rib.

My Battery is in good health and I could even let the outboard run while I brewed up (Takes about 6-7 mins to boil 3 cup fulls). Obviously don't want to Brew up at anchor and then when I go to start find the Battery is somewhat flat.

I was wondering if anyone else with a small boat does such a thing.

This is the inverter I use if any one is interested. There are many others.

1500/3000W Car Power Inverter DC 12V to AC 220V USB Charger Converter 2 Socket | eBay

jrudge

Visit site
I used to. The only way to stop the battery alarm going off whilst doing the kettle and toast was to run the engine at 1500 rpm. This also helps ease the battery hammering and for the 5 mins it took was no hardship

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I think I have roughly worked up that for a 6 - 7 Min on the little kettle will pull about 12 - 15 amp hours out of the Battery so no issue I recon. Will test it on the battery at home first

Rappey

Visit site
From what ive read a 3000w kettle uses less power to boil than a 1000w so a more powerfull kettle could save you a few watts?

Have you noticed that you have a solar power inveater? Ive been toying with similar thoughts for running a microwave...

Bigplumbs

Visit site
From what ive read a 3000w kettle uses less power to boil than a 1000w so a more powerfull kettle could save you a few watts?

Have you noticed that you have a solar power inveater? Ive been toying with similar thoughts for running a microwave...

No hadn't noticed that to be honest.

jrudge

Visit site
I think I have roughly worked up that for a 6 - 7 Min on the little kettle will pull about 12 - 15 amp hours out of the Battery so no issue I recon. Will test it on the battery at home first
But bear in mind that power has to be replaced by charging. Running the engine will lessen the need to charge etc.

Also my issue was the inverter low voltage alarm kept going off given the load on the battery which was more annoying than running the engine. Your mileage may vary

Farmer Piles

Visit site
When we go day boating on our Yamarin we just use a festival stove when we want a brew. Comes in its own plastic carry case, aerosol type gas cans take little room and really easy and quick.
When we go ashore I use my Kelly Kettle - a great boys' toy.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
When we go day boating on our Yamarin we just use a festival stove when we want a brew. Comes in its own plastic carry case, aerosol type gas cans take little room and really easy and quick.
When we go ashore I use my Kelly Kettle - a great boys' toy.

I have got 3 of those festival heaters as you describe. The issue I have is on a 4.5 m Rib with some kit, a small dog and her indoors there is not much space and having a flame going in such a situation fills me with dread. The inverter however means all you have is hot water. I agree however that those festival cookers are very good. And for ashore I love this. Skip to 5 Mins in to the video

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/879...wyqhTBB42Ix1290c_-hoCrhgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Farmer Piles

Visit site
I quite get where you're coming from - small cluttered RIB, naked flame - what could go wrong? As it happens we have a very similar stove to the one you had ashore - there are some great gizmos out there. We really rate our Lotus BBQ as well.
Whereabouts were you, looks a nice spot.

DrSpock

Visit site

It doesn't really work like that. Battery capacity is a rating for a specific current draw and your inverter with the kettle running is drawing around 100A which generates a huge amount of heat and deteriorates the cells.

julians

Visit site
It doesn't really work like that. Battery capacity is a rating for a specific current draw and your inverter with the kettle running is drawing around 100A which generates a huge amount of heat and deteriorates the cells.
careful -that sounds dangerously like theory.

Bigplumbs

Visit site

Well no issue in my camper van yet

Bigplumbs

Visit site
careful -that sounds dangerously like theory.

Yes it does doesn't it. I wonder how many of the theory wallas actually try things. Theory while of course it has its place it also stops many people doing many things. But then perhaps they are just scared. I do many things and also post about them so that others who are so inclined might have a go

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I quite get where you're coming from - small cluttered RIB, naked flame - what could go wrong? As it happens we have a very similar stove to the one you had ashore - there are some great gizmos out there. We really rate our Lotus BBQ as well.
Whereabouts were you, looks a nice spot.

That was on the River Deben in Suffolk at a Place called the Ramsholt Rocks. I just bought the version of that stove that uses the smaller gas cylinders that attach to the bottom so I dont have to cart the big one about. You can also contrary to popular belief refill those smaller canisters

DrSpock

Visit site
Practical ignorance is different from knowledge. Just because it hasn't blown up in your face doesn't mean it won't. YouTube is full of videos of the practical mind...

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Practical ignorance is different from knowledge. Just because it hasn't blown up in your face doesn't mean it won't. YouTube is full of videos of the practical mind...

So is Practical ignorance being ignorant of Practical things if so I am glad you agree with me and you also condemn the total Theory wallas