Bray & Boveney Locks

BG1

Visit site
Does the team think the fitting of electric out of hours working at Bray & Boveney locks will move the weekend 6/7'oclock queue to 9/10'oclock. Also, will this postpone or cancel the rebuilding of both locks?

theguvnor

Visit site
I worked at Bray Lock as Summer Assistant about 5 years ago, with the much missed John Cheshire.
From coming on duty at 9am till about 10.30 about 3 boats through the lock - 10.45 the 3 marinas in the reach (Bray, Windsor and the Racecourse) emptied and approched Bray like the D Day landings! That took a while to clear, then the day hire boats & Steamers turned up to add to the regular cruisers. Add to that the agonisingly slow progress made by rowers and incompetence of hire boaters and you get bottleneck.

I walked down the lock cut to apologise for a delay one hot Bank Holiday, and spoke to the crew of a newish cruiser, his reply seemed to put it all into context.

" Don`t worry mate, this boat is owned by my company and my partner and I take it in turns to use our flat in Spain or the boat - he just phoned me, he is stuck in a departure lounge with 3 kids, no air con, 3 hour delay, and a pi$$ed off SWMBO.

Fancy a G & T on this fabulous day then??"

BG1

Visit site
Hi Michael

I think I've met you quite a few times at the lock and saw you on Cookham Reach a few weeks back.

You're right - it takes all types to enjoy the river, but what about the potential 1000 or so cruisers from the three marinas all coming back from their weekend away at Cookham or Windsor!

TrueBlue

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Does the team think the fitting of electric out of hours working at Bray & Boveney locks will move the weekend 6/7'oclock queue to 9/10'oclock. Also, will this postpone or cancel the rebuilding of both locks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Boveney was electrified during last season's shutdown - so your comment is either a mistake or just goes to show that folks don't know the system or (not unreasonably) don't much care. Indeed, many are happy to keep to opening hours (or less) even stopping at lunchtime in the lock laybyes (most irritating). Out of hours the traffic disappears, leaving the system clear for long distance cruisers.

Hooray!

As to widening the locks - in your dreams - with income falling and Gov't reductions in grants-in-aid, I can't see any prospect of this happening, but would be happy to be proved wrong!

BG1

Visit site
Of course Boveney was modified last year, perhaps my line should have read "will/has moved the queue...." I would suggest more boats go upriver through Bray lock on a summer weekend therefore an increase in out of hours traffic at Bray could be anticipated more so than has been experienced at Boveney.

The point was to try and establish a more Thames based discussion than some of the drivel that's appearing on this forum. Perhaps I'm wrong and another Lounge type forum is what people want to sound off in! The fact they're boaters becomes immaterial then!

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
No statistical evience and probably too early to judge yet, but I suspect the increase in traffic before and after lock-keeper hours will probably not be that great, althoough I would expect some increase for an hour or two before and after. Most people seem to want to be moored up and settled for the night if they are just cruising and the mooring space situation generally means get there early or you might be too late!

IMO probably good that leccy is available for those of us that are intent on getting somewhere and dont mind helping ourselves to do so. I will certainly plan differently knowing that I wont need to wind those bloody wheels!

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who has experienced a 1.5hr wait at Bray as the locky bids farewell at 1900 will be pleased.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cant disagree with that ! It will also make a big difference when there is no assistant covering at lunch and tea times.

The real problem at Bray and Boveney though is that they are so small and can handle so few boats at a time. God knows if they will ever be enlarged.
I did hear that there had been some provisonal scheme considered that would have lengthened the lock rather than widened it.

Wouldn't it be nice if the EA logged in here and discussed the issue? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nautorius

Visit site
Being based in Bray this year we have found day cruising limited as we have to be back at bray by 18.30. Looking forward to more extended cruising next year,

Cheers

Paul /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif