Bow thruster motor can you remove it without sinking the boat?

ultrarep

Visit site
Got a ql bow thruster on a Sealine s43 (2003) and the shear pin has gone. Looking at a diagram of the Ql sp900 it looks like there are two shear pins one at the prop and one under the motor where the drive shaft engages.

Is it possiblt to remove a QL thruster motor with the boat in the water? Dont want a heart stopping water feature in the front cabin.

Has anyone done that on a QL unit?

Am looking for certain info here as dont want to try if there is any doubt.

Also dont know for certain if the unit is the SP900 but will check at the weekend. But it is a def a QL.

Any help would he appreciated as a lift is on the cards otherwise.

Many thanks

Portofino

Visit site
Had a boat with a QL 600 ?
Yes you can remove the motor lift it off and see an internal shear pin .
From memory 2 bolts after you disconnect the motor wires ?

What makes you think the shear pin has # ?
Symptoms ?

Personally I thought they were a reslly sh1t design those QL bow thrusters -well mine was .
I had to ,or rarther techies replaced the gearbox @ then € 8-900 ish mid noughties twice .
I was told that QL then a sub division of Volvo Penta -stopped making parts mid last decade ?

Despite regular checks of the oil .
They get hot the gearbox ,which hangs down submerged in the tube .
As it cools -contracts the seals fail ,suck in water .Eventually corrosion takes is toll .
Signs are a deadly rattle ever increasing until one day it ceases up .
After its been left a while the boat.
Pin sometimes # or somthing else # in the gearbox and it just spins -no prop movement .
There is an external hard to get at anode on the BP between the two props
This was neglected by the maintenance Co doing the annual work @ Easter etc .Hence the corrosion issues -I think .

I,am glad my current boat has a Vetus bow thruster , which has a piece of cake easy to get @ anode .

vas

Visit site
agree on what PF says above.

on some models (mine which I don't remember the #) you can access the top shear pin without removing the motor, check the schematics. Definitely wont sink the boat!

cheers

V.

Momac

Visit site
Got a ql bow thruster on a Sealine s43 (2003) and the shear pin has gone. Looking at a diagram of the Ql sp900 it looks like there are two shear pins one at the prop and one under the motor where the drive shaft engages.

Is it possiblt to remove a QL thruster motor with the boat in the water? Dont want a heart stopping water feature in the front cabin.

Has anyone done that on a QL unit?

Am looking for certain info here as dont want to try if there is any doubt.

Also dont know for certain if the unit is the SP900 but will check at the weekend. But it is a def a QL.
I have a F33 with a QL thruster. I removed the motor with the boat in the water.
In my case the shear pins were okay bt the plastic propeller had broken.
I obtained the new prop via my local Volvo Penta dealer but Britboatparts would have been quicker .

ultrarep

Visit site
Thanks for all the comments guys. Seems like it just may be better to replace the thing given the issues above.

Is there a direct replacement that just bolts in using the same holes etc! Has anyone done that. Am pretty sure mine is the sp/bp 600 or 900 will know tomorrow.
Any reccomendations on a replacement would also be appreciated. This is taking the shine off the new boat (to me) that i took delivery of last weekend. As the pin or shaft sheared when i got to my mooring spot so not an auspicious start to my time with the S43

ultrarep

Visit site
Hi all. Ok the unit in the boat is a QL BP600. Does anyone know if the motor can be removed with the boat in the water without getting my feet wet?

Any guidance would be very useful.

Many thanks

ultrarep

Visit site
Ah blonde moment. Thanks Portofino.

Its either the shear pin gone or the shaft has broken as the motor spins and makes a loud scretch every now and then.

Hoping its the pin. If its the shaft then a new BT if going to be required. Have read of several that have had the shaft go so will see once I get it off. Shear pin ordered anyhow.

Momac

Visit site
Ah blonde moment. Thanks Portofino.

Its either the shear pin gone or the shaft has broken as the motor spins and makes a loud scretch every now and then.

Hoping its the pin. If its the shaft then a new BT if going to be required. Have read of several that have had the shaft go so will see once I get it off. Shear pin ordered anyhow.

That's the same model as my bow thruster on my F33
Yes the motor can be removed
Possibly the shear pin revealed by the motor removal
Possibly the shear pin at the prop
Possibly the prop broken.