Bottom paint, not antifoul

[185615]

Visit site
Send me £100 and I'll send you an elephant scarer, guaranteed to keep elephants out of your front room.
If I was an importer of chilli powder then your rather silly anaolgy of an obvious confidence trick, made more obvious by the scarcity of elephants, would be relevant.
As a contributor here I shall continue to write of, and or pass on my experiences, regardless of such ad hominem remarks.

Rappey

Visit site
A skipper in Barcelona would beg to differ, as would I from personal experience
I've never tried it, was just repeating what most on here concluded in a recent discussion which started off about adding copper powder to antifoul.
Your entitled to believe what you like ?

[185615]

Visit site
I've never tried it, was just repeating what most on here concluded in a recent discussion which started off about adding copper powder to antifoul.
Your entitled to believe what you like ?
Absolutely correct, that is all I ask is to be allowed the priveledge of believing what my eyes witness, and to pass on my observations here, with or without "what most on here" approves or not.
And of course to be as tolerant and insistent that others views deserve the same respect as mine.

Last edited:

Rappey

Visit site
Antifoul is a bit like anchors, can work great for one person and be hopeless for another.
I've antifouled hundreds of boats using everything (nearly)
Tbt was by far the best and now i do what I have concluded from many years of experience, I will use whatever is the cheapest even if it's well out of date on my own boat.
A few racers around here just scrub off every other week.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
If I was an importer of chilli powder then your rather silly anaolgy of an obvious confidence trick, made more obvious by the scarcity of elephants, would be relevant.
As a contributor here I shall continue to write of, and or pass on my experiences, regardless of such ad hominem remarks.
It was a parallal, not an ad hominem. There is no known mechanism by which chilli powder could have any effect on marine organisms and plenty of other reasons why you might not have much fouling. You might as well add some head and shoulders to the mix and give that the credit.

[185615]

Visit site
Antifoul is a bit like anchors, can work great for one person and be hopeless for another.
I've antifouled hundreds of boats using everything (nearly)
Tbt was by far the best and now i do what I have concluded from many years of experience, I will use whatever is the cheapest even if it's well out of date on my own boat.
A few racers around here just scrub off every other week.
And why not, both you and the racers do their own thing, use what they wish to, believe what they wish to, its called tolerance.

"Give neither time nor succour to those loud and aggressive people who are inimical towards you; they are vexatious to the spirit and a threat to your person. If you compare yourself with them, you waste your days in needless introspection.
Courtesy of Desiderata.

Hot Property

Visit site
I use Silic One which is a slippery coating that growth finds it hard to stick to. I'm in my 3 rd season and a light pressure wash gets the slime off nicely. In-between the annual wash I just give the hull a quick blast at 20 knots plus. No poisens entering the environment, I maintain my speed throughout the season and I gain 1.5 knots as well....

[185615]

Visit site
It was a parallal, not an ad hominem. There is no known mechanism by which chilli powder could have any effect on marine organisms and plenty of other reasons why you might not have much fouling. You might as well add some head and shoulders to the mix and give that the credit.
The theory is that when molluscs or a marine phylum attach themselves to the chilli grains they do not like the burning sensation, try some of the hottest on the tip of your tounge, and look elsewhere to live. Thats the theory, my personal experience certainly bears out a significant reduction on my hull.
Whether head and shoulders would have the same effect it is impossible for me to say, it is entirely possible they may be similarly repelled.
You could well be onto something. With your sense of certainty who knows what may develop.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The theory is that when molluscs or a marine phylum attach themselves to the chilli grains they do not like the burning sensation, try some of the hottest on the tip of your tounge, and look elsewhere to live.
That would require them to have capsaicin receptors and, as far as science knows, they don't. They experience no burning sensation, so if you and "a skipper in Barcelona" have clean bottoms, something else is responsible. If you could find out what that is you could save yourself a fortune in chilli powder. Edit: Actually, on reflection you could save yourself a fortune in chilli powder anyway, since it is pointless.

correlation.png

Last edited:

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
There have been others before chilli . Lanolin and stove black come to mind.

A friend tried the chilli granules but lost a huge amount of speed. Couldn't work out what it was. He found out when he hauled for a scrub. When you rubbed a hand over the hull it felt like 60 grade sand paper.

Rappey

Visit site
I did an experiment with red lead under the waterline, just a square foot.
It lasted the same amount of time the antifoul did. Works out about the same price too.

[185615]

Visit site
There have been others before chilli . Lanolin and stove black come to mind.

A friend tried the chilli granules but lost a huge amount of speed. Couldn't work out what it was. He found out when he hauled for a scrub. When you rubbed a hand over the hull it felt like 60 grade sand paper.
I does leave a grainy feel, but to suggest it is responsible for a 'huge abount of speed' is plainly a huge exaggeration.
What was his definition of 'huge' if it is elaphantine for £100 jumble duck will cure his problem.

[185615]

Visit site
That would require them to have capsaicin receptors and, as far as science knows, they don't. They experience no burning sensation, so if you and "a skipper in Barcelona" have clean bottoms, something else is responsible. If you could find out what that is you could save yourself a fortune in chilli powder. Edit: Actually, on reflection you could save yourself a fortune in chilli powder anyway, since it is pointless.

correlation.png
I did say 'theory' not for certain, whatever it does it works for me, and my friend in Barcelona.
What apparently doessn't work for you is the inability to consider others have their own subjective opinions, and do not pretend to know it all, so why dont you take your rubber duck, preferably coated in chilli powder, and insert it up your fundement, (that would illustarte what a pain in the arse you are) at the same time learning to let others share their thoughts and experiences.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I did say 'theory' not for certain, whatever it does it works for me, and my friend in Barcelona.

It doesn't work for you, though. Something does, but it's not the chili powder.

What apparently doessn't work for you is the inability to consider others have their own subjective opinions,

Of course. But facts are not subjective and you cannot conjure up a world in which barnacles have capsaicin receptors just because you want it to be true.

It's no great surprise to discover from your posting history that you are also an anti-vaxxer. If you are going to reject some science you might as well reject it all.