Boom gallows: design, construction and method of use

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I could visualize a type of one-way catch where the boom would drop in but could not jump out until released.

Think of a door lock where the door will close but not open until a knob is turned
or have the notches lined with padded leather and a snug fit so the boom is friction clamped when lowered. ;-)

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
For forty years I owned a small and then a medium sized gaff cutter with rigid three position gallows aft of the cockpit.

When I bought a bermudian cutter I missed having one. I was laughed at by everyone and told to fit a hydraulic rigid kicker. But I lock the boom off with a handy billy against the mainsheet.

Bajansailor

Visit site
Here are a couple of photos of the boom crutch that I built for our Challenger 35.
The tubular S/S goal post was originally further forward, supporting a (too) high dodger over the companionway - I moved it further aft, and had a couple of S/S plates welded on to the top to bolt a timber beam to, to form the gallows.
The S/S plates were cut off from the outboard sides of the base plates, as it was an over-kill having them so large, and also the cockpit coaming is much more narrow further aft.

The boom crutch also supports a homemade fibreglass bimini awning, which doubles as a support for the solar panel, and for catching rain water.
The aft end of the bimini is supported by a horizontal S/S bar clamped to the backstays.

6 - Boom crutch and bimini.jpg

8 - looking forward from the helm.jpg

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
That's interesting.

Like you, I have halyards, topping lift, reefing pendants and kicking tackle belayed at the mast, and I don't want to be going to and fro. I want to be able to drop the boom into the boom gallows, pull down a reef, tie off the reefing points before I have to return to the cockpit.; ie one trip forward to the mast and one trip back to the cockpit.

I had thought about having to return to the cockpit to tighten in the mainsheet so as to keep the boom in its notch. Then I thought about hardening down the kicking tackle. which is cleated at the mast step, to stop the boom jumping out of its notch. Do you think that would work OK?

I also considered, if I had the gallows over the hatch garage which is where I would like it to be, having a lashing line or a length of velcro under each notch to pass over the boom to keep it in place.
Having the gallows over the hatch garage puts it in easier reach from the mast to fasten the boom in place and would provide an extra grab when going forward but I have no experience of one in that location. As I said, I do not use my gallows for reefing, so I never try to get the boom into it with any amount of sail up giving more opportunity for the boom to thrash around and bash the gallows before you can lock it in place. Easy in calm conditions but usually not calm when you are reefing! To be honest, I think your added complications of locking the boom in the gallows will negate any benefit to easier reefing.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

differentroads

blog.offbeatsadventures.com
I had a grap rail made up over my hatch and the 'blister' cabin top on my flush deck boat. It fills a gap betweek the cockpit and shrouds. I also had in mind being able to use it as a boom crutch to tame the boom when dropping the main at sea but haven't yet got round to trying that yet. Its also a handy structure for hanging sunshades off, putting lines on to dry, etc and the feet are strong enough to attach my jackstays on and maybe, with a bit of reinforcement under the deck, a barber hauler for the foresails.

Attachments

• IMG-20201214-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20201214-WA0003.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 21