Bobbin sailing dinghy

mumbles

Visit site
I have acquired a Bobbin sailing dinghy, i have rigged everything except the mainsheet. The guy I bought it from was not a sailor and there might be bits missing, please can anyone tell me how to rig the mainsheet, I am assuming it needs a traveller, draw a diagram perhaps ?
Many thanks

dunedin

Visit site
Welcome to the forum. A couple of pictures would be helpful, both of your new boat (to admire) and of the boom & stern of boat to advise on mainsheet setup.
I suspect you need to post a few more messages before you can add a photograph, so a few more replies on this and other threads might get you there.

wombat88

Visit site
I was after one a while back.

One I looked at had a rope bridle (?) from quarter to quarter ie each transom corner, then a a block tied centrally on the bridle and a block on the end of the boom. I suppose you could let the block run from side to side on the bridle if you wished.

Very simple, any variation on this would do OK. Performance is not critical...

mumbles

Visit site
Thanks for the answers, very helpful. I will post some photos as soon as I can. I looked at a Heron set up and they used the deadeyes at the stern and threaded the mainsheet through and up to a block on the boom and then tied off the other end at the other deadeye. I guess I could do this, assuming that the sheet has enough clearance in the deadeyes to operate the sheet.Bobbin stern.JPGBobbin boom.JPG

Here are the photos, I know it is all wrong at the mo, but it shows the bits I have. The traveller seems very long to me.........Bobbin block.JPG

mumbles

Visit site
I have had a look at rig on Mirror, and the following seems it may be ok.....Thread sheet through deadeye on transom, tie off with figure of eight, up to block on boom, down to other deadeye and through a pulley shackled to the deadeye then into helmsmans hands with a stop knot to end of sheet. Any comments please ? Thanks

dunedin

Visit site
I have had a look at rig on Mirror, and the following seems it may be ok.....Thread sheet through deadeye on transom, tie off with figure of eight, up to block on boom, down to other deadeye and through a pulley shackled to the deadeye then into helmsmans hands with a stop knot to end of sheet. Any comments please ? Thanks
It’s only worked for 70,000 or so Mirror dinghies, so perhaps not fully proven yet ;)

Seems a very simple and effective solution for the type of boat