Boats not allowed under hammersmith bridge

st599

Visit site
RYA now saying that you can book a passage.

72 hours notice required, minimum crew, passage plan, risk assessment and plan for if you have to abort required when booking.

oldgit

Visit site
RYA now saying that you can book a passage.

72 hours notice required, minimum crew, passage plan, risk assessment and plan for if you have to abort required when booking.

Sounds very useful and sensible.Any trips to Thames tend to be planned several months ahead and a diversion into one of the Thames Marinas or Chelsea should prove OK.
Just need to see the back of this lurgy in London. Will wearing a 1665 style "Nosegay " be sufficent in 2021 ?

oldgit

Visit site
Meetings are the practical alternative to doing the job you were hired for and always the best course of action to avoid making a decision.

1612604474802.png

At least with Zoom you only need to dress the top half and of course the really keen get a Blue Screen for the back ground.
This puts off the day when your own personal Bacteriological Incubator aka the kitchen/ executive office , needs to be cleaned. ?
I just love the interviews were the cat wanders in , live on air, and loudly demands its dinner.

Last edited:

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
What we really need here is a Russian Oligarch with a burning desire to take their boat up to Richmond.

Problem is that they usually have boats with too much air draft.

I wonder if Borodin could be convinced that a nice Thames cruiser maybe a star craft based out of Chelsea would be good.

I bet they'd get Emma Smith bridge opened pretty quick if really needed !

Time Out

Visit site
What we really need here is a Russian Oligarch with a burning desire to take their boat up to Richmond.

Problem is that they usually have boats with too much air draft.

I wonder if Borodin could be convinced that a nice Thames cruiser maybe a star craft based out of Chelsea would be good.

I bet they'd get Emma Smith bridge opened pretty quick if really needed !

You’re not thinking like an Oligarch sadly.

They would simply employ the services of some heavy duty cranes each and every time to move it either side .... ;)

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Actually, as I was interested, I did some sums. Ignoring the Golden Jubilee and Millenium footbridges, the 28 road and rail bridges across the Thames from Tower bridge to Richmond bridge range from 48 years old (London Bridge) to 244 years old (Richmond Bridge) with an average age of 130 years old.

oldgit

Visit site
Did many start off as Toll Bridges ?
A bit more on Hammersmith and other Thames/ London bridges.
London's bridges are falling down: how politics has failed the capital's crossings.
Amazed that somebody has not posted saying its all the fault of the overstaffed EA.

We of course have had a proper bridge since Roman times 49AD., while you lot were still wading across the Thames trying not to lose your "Sandalia" in the mud.
How it should be done ?
Rochester Bridge Trust.
https://rbt.org.uk/
Our present bridge is about 100 years old and has just undergone a complete overhaul and refurbishment, we can of course go under it any old time we feel ike it . :)

Last edited:

Keith 66

Visit site
The ongoing bridge closure is likely to impact on events too. The Great River race was cancelled last year because of covid, 350 rowing boats, scores of safety boats & all the tripper traffic that follows it. 5000 people taking part? I cant see that being allowed to go ahead this year!

madabouttheboat

Visit site
The ongoing bridge closure is likely to impact on events too. The Great River race was cancelled last year because of covid, 350 rowing boats, scores of safety boats & all the tripper traffic that follows it. 5000 people taking part? I cant see that being allowed to go ahead this year!

I think the boat race has been moved for 2021. Can't remember where. (I suppose its under threat anyway from Covid)

oldgit

Visit site
Blimey, thats a youngster. Only 7 of the Thames bridges are newer. Do you remember it being built? ;)

Without being pedantic the present cast iron bridge was actually built in 1850 and modified into its present form sometime around 1910.
The prior medieval bridge was a real bugger to demolish and the job was given to the local Royal Engineers to blow up with gunpowder.
They failed abysmally. just managed to reduce the height of the starlings to allow vessels of the period to pass over.
The remains of the bridge foundations are plain to see on your depth sounder about 50 feet upstream of the present bridge.
In the Bridge Trust Museum they have on display one of the iron tipped Roman wooden piles used to construct the Roman bridge.
On all the old bridge plans it indicates the deepest water is under the northern arch.
To this day its the arch you must use to transit the bridge at LWS if you want to keep your props the same shape.

Other threads that may be of interest