Boats not allowed under hammersmith bridge

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
That's good news.

So it's probably not going to fall down then.

What a relief.

Presumably it is not legally possible to bypass the duty of care so a detailed risk assessment in the form of a declaration that "the bridge is not going to fall in the River today" would be enough to enable transit at pre-booked times.

Maybe passage of the entire section from let's say Greenwich to Twickenham could be pre-booked in future.

Seems an interesting alternative to just having a Public Right of Navigation.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
I am no engineer, but how do you insert a completely self supporting bridge structure inside the original bridge? It imposes no load on the existing bridge which means it's entire length must be self supporting. Indeed it even helps to support the existing bridge while it is being repaired.

Oh then there is the small matter of the new deck is raised to allow pedestrians to walk underneath (on the old structure that may collapse at any moment) so with the new road deck raised, how do busses get under the arches?

I would love to see it work, but I just fail to see how it possibly can?

Bronco99

Visit site
I am no engineer, but how do you insert a completely self supporting bridge structure inside the original bridge? It imposes no load on the existing bridge which means it's entire length must be self supporting. Indeed it even helps to support the existing bridge while it is being repaired.

Oh then there is the small matter of the new deck is raised to allow pedestrians to walk underneath (on the old structure that may collapse at any moment) so with the new road deck raised, how do busses get under the arches?

I assume it would be a completely new but no frills bridge with a separate support structure to the existing one. Floating platforms containg a crane and scaffolding would then be used for the midsection. The existing elements of the old bridge that need repair would be extracted and taken away for repair.

Here's hoping it's viable.

Attachments

• Bridgeupdate.png
    Bridgeupdate.png
    416.4 KB · Views: 20

Plum

Visit site

Each of the three new double-decker pre assembled spans are only supported by the existing pier bases and do not touch any other part of the old structure. Once inserted, by sliding in from each end, the pedestrians and traffic can start, then the old structure removed piece by piece, including the old deck, working from the outside. Once the old unsafe structure has been removed from the centre span then river traffic can pass underneath.
Once the repaired old structure is replaced the double-decker spans are removed again so the bridge looks like the original in all its glory, eventually.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

TrueBlue

Visit site
Perhaps they'd reconsider holding the Boat Race on its proper course next year?
And
And
And
Reopen the River for boat traffic???

Fat chance mebe...

st599

Visit site
Grant Shapps has decided that H&F council need to pay £64M, but Richmond pay £0.

As H&F think that equates to £800 per council tax bill, it may take a while to find the funding.

oldgit

Visit site
Politics getting in the way ?
NEW CIVIL ENGINEERS. website.

“During the Taskforce meeting, government advisers confirmed the government had released the Fleck and Aecom reports before waiting to consider the imminent conclusions of engineers Mott MacDonald who are undertaking the latest review. Nor did they put their own papers to the CCSO.
"This appears to be subject to political interference – something that has consistently hindered progress.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
It's been Labour v Tory right from the start.

The Labour leader of Hammersmith and Fulham gave the game away months ago as previously posted on this thread earlier in the year.

He is well chuffed about it. Perfect opportunity to have a go at the Tories.

oldgit

Visit site
H&F now saying this will require a 100% increase in council tax for band A, 71% for band D.
Perhaps boaters could be asked to chip in , should not be a problem considering the the amount of ire expressed on here from the boating community about the bridge being closed.
A fair and equitable method could based on the lenght of the boat passing underneath.
Would suggest that it starts with £5.00 for boats under 35 feet and then £10.00 pounds each extra foot after that.
A discount could offered to non Thames based visitors.

CLB

Visit site
Perhaps boaters could be asked to chip in , should not be a problem considering the the amount of ire expressed on here from the boating community about the bridge being closed.
A fair and equitable method could based on the lenght of the boat passing underneath.
Would suggest that it starts with £5.00 for boats under 35 feet and then £10.00 pounds each extra foot after that.

Boaters don't use the bridge though. They can simply take the thing away as far as I'm concerned. A road toll would be more appropriate.

If they do charge boats though. I think the £5 should stop at 30 foot ;)

Mark26

Visit site
I was beginning to think it was 1st April for a minute ?
As CLB says, boaters neither use or need bridges ?