Boats not allowed under hammersmith bridge

Old Crusty

Visit site
Can the river legally be closed without an act of parliament?

Harbours Docks & Piers clauses act 1847 states:
The Harbour-master may give Directions for all or any of the following Purposes ; (that is to say,) For regulating the Time at which and the Manner in which any Vessel shall enter into, go out of, or lie in or at the Harbour, Dock, or Pier, and within the prescribed Limits.

jecuk

Visit site
Harbours Docks & Piers clauses act 1847 states:
The Harbour-master may give Directions for all or any of the following Purposes ; (that is to say,) For regulating the Time at which and the Manner in which any Vessel shall enter into, go out of, or lie in or at the Harbour, Dock, or Pier, and within the prescribed Limits.

That doesn’t allow closure of the river. It is a vessel specific power.

Old Crusty

Visit site
That doesn’t allow closure of the river. It is a vessel specific power.

If you consider the PRN then the answer is probably no but ancient rights get trampled on frequently.

An HM notice from the PLA prohibiting navigation under the bridge is, effectively, closure of the river at that point.

Only a judge might decide.

PeterBoater

Visit site
I have written to Baroness Vere asking why river users, commercial and leisure, were not represented at the meeting, and why there was almost no mention of river traffic. The PLA does not represent river users. For leisure users, the ATYC comes to mind.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Where are the IRA when you need them?

It was slightly odd reading the document about alternatives. One of them was a bridge built in barges which would be constructed alongside the existing bridge. Part of the barge based bridge would be openable to allow river traffic.

Ok. That's good, but why would placing a second bridge beside the already disused existing bridge make it less likely to collapse onto boats going under it ?

At the end of the day it's a political story Lab v Con nothing new under the sun and people can't use the Public Right of Navigation on Thames highway.

This is disgraceful.

Surely some sort of disclaimer system could be organised where you sign a form saying "if the bridge collapses on my boat and it sinks and I die then I will not come running to LBHF for compensation" then take your boat under the bridge .

A floating height gauge could easily be installed to prevent overheight vessels striking the bridge.

cherod

Visit site
Full closed. No open Arches on Southern side.

NOTICE TO MARINERS U10 of 2020 12
BARN ELMS REACH HAMMERSMITH BRIDGE – CLOSED TO NAVIGATION
Due to urgent safety concerns, Hammersmith & Fulham Council have closed Hammersmith Bridge to river traffic following expert technical advice. Hammersmith & Fulham Council have confirmed that there is significant risk to vessels and persons passing underneath the bridge. We regrettably advise navigation underneath Hammersmith Bridge is not permitted and an exclusion zone of 15 metres upriver and downriver of the bridge has been established.

Having more than a passing interest in the long-running saga of attempts to keep this bridge open (but zero insight or information other than that in the public domain) I would be quite surprised if there is any 'quick fix' - but let's hope I'm wrong.
Closed to vehicle traffic as well i presume ?

oldgit

Visit site
I have written to Baroness Vere asking why river users, commercial and leisure, were not represented at the meeting, and why there was almost no mention of river traffic. The PLA does not represent river users. For leisure users, the ATYC comes to mind.

+1

Pump-Out

Visit site
BBC Lunchtime News carried a story of mounting pressure from the marine industry. Passenger boats and maintenance yards are being impacted by the "barrier" at Hammersmith.

No link on the BBC website as yet (1555, Tuesday 6th)

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I hadn't thought of the boatyards yes BJ Woods and MSO must be getting hit pretty hard by it.

Presumably business interruption insurance will look after this sort of thing ? The bridge closure not the pandemic.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Interesting article here with some more information. It is a web page on the lbhf.gov site.

Temporary ferry service under urgent consideration following closure of Hammersmith Bridge

Particularly interesting for boaters is this bit

---

"Cllr Cowan added: “It will cost £46million to stabilise it, which will make it safe for pedestrians, cyclists and river traffic. That work can be completed within nine months. It will cost up to £141million to fully restore the bridge so it can be reopened to buses and motor vehicles - a similar amount to building a new bridge. There’s a quicker option to fully restore Hammersmith Bridge but that would cost £163million."

---

I suppose one question is has the nine months started yet ? I guess not because this story seems to revolve around a labour local authority asking a conservative government for a load of money.

Pump-Out

Visit site
Nine months - Here's one to consider:

Saturday 3 April 2021
Women’s Race at 16:40
Men's Race at 17:40
Covid19 meant that 2020 was the first time that The Boat Race had to be cancelled since World War II. We are working very hard with all of our stakeholders to make sure that we are back on the Tideway in the spring of 2021, when the crews from Oxford and Cambridge Universities renew the oldest rivalry in sport.

Other threads that may be of interest