Boats not allowed under hammersmith bridge

Time Out

Visit site
The pontoon crossing with outboard is a common feature at a number of overseas shows. The Thames would certainly present challenges but could easily be done.

Scholar Gypsy

scholargypsy.judgefamily.org.uk
Convoy variation.

Given the right state of the tide, a couple of tugs (or firmly anchored barges / pontoons) either side with decent winches, and a couple of small RIBs to reconnect boat and owner, it wouldn't seem too challenging to set up a system to pass boats without people under the bridge in a way that should cost a lot less than the road option if several could be done by appointment.

I'll leave it to the more cautious (or arguably wiser) members of this forum to find the flaw(s) in my cunning plan.
Yes I have been entertaining myself designing such a system !!

steve yates

Visit site
A couple of PHYC boats tried yesterday and were tuned back by the PLA launches. You are not getting through without some method of force. Once you ignore the instructions of the authority you are on the wrong side of the law.
Ok, that makes a difference then. It's one thing to be spotted going through and fined, another entirely to be ordered away and then try and dodge them and sail through. Especially if your top speed is 6 knots :) .
Thtas more akin to crashing a police road block, which would lead to a criminal record.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
There is more about the fault with the bridge here Pedestal cracks closed Hammersmith Bridge

The cracks appear to be in the cast iron support pedestals.

Now I am no structural engineer, but I would have said most of the loading on those is in compression.

Sure there are issues that need fixing (siezed up joints that should rotate) so they want to keep vehicles off it so the bridge does not flex until fixed. But I would be exceedingly surprised if the bridge was in any serious danger of actually collapsing any time soon.

It looks to me like serious arse covering.

TrueBlue

Visit site
I thought the cast iron pillars had large and long cracks in them with the risk that the suspension cables creat a shear force and the whole roadway could descend into the mud with a loud splosh! (technical term......).

plumbob

Visit site
Just saw a boat called "Quid Itch" on a wagon out of Marlow towards the Motorway link road.

Looked like a princess 30DS or similar. I wonder if it's one of the boats blocked by Emma Smith bridge closure.
It's a Nimbus. Been at Harleyford for a number of years. She's recently sold.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
From this video I get the impression the council are disowning the bridge as they say that the funding for repairs will NOT be coming from LBHF residents. It will have to be central gov funding. And/or TFL.

No expert but if I was a TFL planner I think a new bridge would look a lot better !! How well protected is a grade 2 monument? Will we get protestors climbing on it if it is decided to take it down?

Interesting.

Why do I get the feeling boats are not very important in this subject ?

Watch the confident man just after 5:00.

From this article on LBHF website.

133-year-old Hammersmith Bridge closed due to urgent safety concerns

Last edited:

Lower Limit 1909

Visit site
It's a public policy mess and has been for 5 decades. If the finger can be pointed anywhere it has to be at successive central governments from both parties who have failed to tackle something that will never be resolved by leaving to to local authorities and TFL.

- The Londoners who are responsible for maintaining it and fixing it are the London Borough or Hammersmith and Fulham. Frankly it's not especially useful or needed by the vast majority of their residents so a low priority.
- The Londoners who are most affected - quite a number very significantly as it is a vital route to get onto the tube network and to the nearest major hospital - are typically residents in the London Borough of Richmond.
- For TFL it's a vital part of the network and with it fully closed to even foot passengers it's currently a dead end for several bus routes that go nowhere. TFL have even less money than the above LAs.

Whether is should be 'retired' and replaced or 'refurbished' is an academic debate until a decision is made as to how to fund either. Ultimately until central government comes up with a solution nothing will happen.

One can only ponder where we would be now if the £16 million of taxpayer money spent on a 'Garden Bridge' that never had a single part constructed had been spent on more preventitive maintenance on Hammersmith Bridge.

I suspect this will only get solved for boaters once the powers to be realise there will be no more Oxford - Cambridge Boat Races until it is fixed.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
It doesn't need to be "fixed" for boat traffic to resume. That only needs someone to declare that without traffic on it, it is not going to spontaneously collapse of it's own accord any time soon.

To restore it for road traffic is going to take a long time and cost a lot of money, and there will no doubt be river closures while the work is ongoing.

Newbroom

Visit site
i get the feeling we are not going to be getting out to the tidal Thames this year, this is going to go on and on

I have to agree. I don't think this is going to be resolved quickly. So much so I am having mine trucked down to the south coast next week. Never thought I would say that.
Try and salvage something this season.

Scholar Gypsy

scholargypsy.judgefamily.org.uk

Time Out

Visit site
A recent newsletter and FAQ from the PLA

Port of London Authority Covid-19 Corona Virus News Special, 19 Aug 2020

https://www.pla.co.uk/Local-authority-emergency-closure-of-Hammersmith-Bridge

and the (pre-existing) proposals for a temporary cycle/footbridge.

Hammersmith Bridge

I took this photo yesterday, while having lunch in one of the pubs on the north bank. Workboats in position both above and below the bridge

View attachment 97384

Most importantly how was lunch?

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Speaking of workboats it seems they are ok to pass under the bridge without it falling on them.

This is the 2 day AIS track for workboat "GUNDOG".

Screenshot_2020-08-23-22-00-07-108_com.android.chrome.jpg

I wonder if this is a bit political. Close the bridge, annoy people and attempt to force the government's hand regarding funding.

LBHF is a Labour council..

CJL

Visit site
I wonder if this is a bit political. Close the bridge, annoy people and attempt to force the government's hand regarding funding.
LBHF is a Labour council..

Reading between the lines it appears to be very political situation and they are happy to inconvenience everybody until the money lands in their lap.

Pump-Out

Visit site
Local press reporting that a military aid request has been filed. Army to build a temporary bridge as getting kids to school is impacted by the closure of Hammersmith Bridge.

If the army supply a bridge I doubt that it will have the ability to allow traffic through, even if passage was granted under the existing bridge. Not that I know anything about army bridges other than what we see in films!

Army asked if they can build a new London bridge over the River Thames

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Its a disgrace that the wonderful Thames is closed to navigation. It's not like an accident or act of God. It's not even terrorism. It's just neglect.

Very sad. Sign of the times I guess.

It really isn't a good sign.