Boats not allowed under hammersmith bridge

PeterBoater

Visit site
From the PLA: Following reports of the closure of navigation at Hammersmith Bridge, the PLA confirms that the northern half of the bridge is closed. However, the southern side of the bridge remains open to recreation and leisure vessels. We continue to work with the owners of the bridge. UPDATE: now completely closed

Last edited:

Lower Limit 1909

Visit site
Full closed. No open Arches on Southern side.

NOTICE TO MARINERS U10 of 2020 12
BARN ELMS REACH HAMMERSMITH BRIDGE – CLOSED TO NAVIGATION
Due to urgent safety concerns, Hammersmith & Fulham Council have closed Hammersmith Bridge to river traffic following expert technical advice. Hammersmith & Fulham Council have confirmed that there is significant risk to vessels and persons passing underneath the bridge. We regrettably advise navigation underneath Hammersmith Bridge is not permitted and an exclusion zone of 15 metres upriver and downriver of the bridge has been established.

Having more than a passing interest in the long-running saga of attempts to keep this bridge open (but zero insight or information other than that in the public domain) I would be quite surprised if there is any 'quick fix' - but let's hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

CLB

Visit site
:oops: I have some friends who are on the non-tidal Thames for a holiday and are due back down to the coast shortly. Wonder what their options will be. Need to extend visitor's license and find temporary berth to stay on non-tidal, which will not be cheap, or find somewhere below Teddington (Teddington harbour maybe) to moor up for the foreseeable.

Lets hope a solution is found quickly.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
:oops: I have some friends who are on the non-tidal Thames for a holiday and are due back down to the coast shortly. Wonder what their options will be. Need to extend visitor's license and find temporary berth to stay on non-tidal, which will not be cheap, or find somewhere below Teddington (Teddington harbour maybe) to moor up for the foreseeable.

Lets hope a solution is found quickly.
There is a canal route available Brentford - Limehouse but Grand Union Brentford to Southall especially is pretty dirty and shallow and the rest is not amazing.

Also the air draft question kicks in of course

Smaller boats with lifting keels or small motor boats would be okay but I don't think a fixed keel sailing boat would do well.

Might be ok up to about 3ft 6 ish and air draft around 8ft. No guarantees though.
I did the limehouse-Brentford run earlier in the year on the cut and even then there was quite a bit of weed about so a lot of prop fouling happening. Boat I was on is only about 2ft6 draught and large prop so fouling not a serious concern.

Or road it out of Shepperton to Denton perhaps.

Last edited:

pavlosimou

Visit site
Ah. Crude. Currently at Henley on way back to Rochester, too big for the canals. No idea what to do now. Wait for updates I guess.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
It's interesting to consider how essential the River corridor is in that area.

As far as I know there is no actual trade other than the London boats and a few charters.

And of course plenty of pleasure boats.

If they actually think the bridge supports might let go what could reasonably be done? It's quite a large structure to shore up or strap together with cable ties.

If it did fail it would be very dramatic.

Head scratching time but I'm sure there is a plan.

PeterBoater

Visit site
There is a canal route available Brentford - Limehouse but Grand Union Brentford to Southall especially is pretty dirty and shallow and the rest is not amazing.

Also the air draft question kicks in of course

Smaller boats with lifting keels or small motor boats would be okay but I don't think a fixed keel sailing boat would do well.

Might be ok up to about 3ft 6 ish and air draft around 8ft. No guarantees though.
I did the limehouse-Brentford run earlier in the year on the cut and even then there was quite a bit of weed about so a lot of prop fouling happening. Boat I was on is only about 2ft6 draught and large prop so fouling not a serious concern.

Or road it out of Shepperton to Denton perhaps.
I think one can get a lift back in at South Dock Marina

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
From their website

"
Cranes
We have a pedestal crane with a safe working load of 20 tonnes. This is reduced to 17.5 tonnes boat weight if the spreader beams are used. The crane operates between 9-4pm Monday to Friday. For commercial vessels we operate an out of hours emergency service for an additional fee.
For larger boats, the crane working area can be used for mobile cranes up to 250 tonnes."

---

Must say I thought it was smaller than that.

Nice boatyard.

PeterBoater

Visit site
"Head scratching time but I'm sure there is a plan. "
I doubt it; various councils and other bodies have been squabbling for many years about whose responsibility it is and whose 'fault' it is. Allegedly, this has resulted in chronic under-funding and sticking-plaster repairs for decades. The effect of the road closures has been serious for local businesses and residents.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I thought this was interesting. Discovered it while doing a Google search for the person named in the PLA NTM as being the Highways Structures Manager at the council.

From "whatdotheyknow" website.

"Mr. Owen Sheppard
???
Our reference : 1502949
Dear Mr. Sheppard
Thank you for your request for information which was received on 23 April 2019.
Your request
I would like to ask the following questions about how much money the council has spent on maintaining and checking Hammersmith Bridge, due its known long-standing structural problems.
Can you provide me with a breakdown of how much the council spent on carrying out monitoring and assessments of the condition of Hammersmith Bridge in every financial year since 2013/2014?
How much did the council spend on surveying work on Hammersmith Bridge in every financial year since 2013/2014?
How much did the council spend on repair works to Hammersmith Bridge in each of the years 2016/2017 and 2017/2018?
Our response
This request is being handled under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
I am writing to inform you that we have searched our records and the information you requested is not held by Hammersmith and Fulham."

---

So a council who is supposed to own an infrastructure asset does not hold records about the spending on it.

What's going on there then?

Seems a bit fishy.

Dave_Seager

www.seagers.org.uk
Unless the bridge is really really in iminent danger of collapse, you would think they could collect details of boats needing (not wanting) passage and book limited convoy operation just to clear boats that have to get back somewhere?
How would that work? I cannot see how travelling in convoy would prevent the bridge falling on a boat.

Leighb

Visit site
How would that work? I cannot see how travelling in convoy would prevent the bridge falling on a boat.
It would be a bit like when you encounter one of those road signs that warn of a danger of falling rocks, do you accelerate to get through the danger zone as fast as possible, or slow right down so that you can avoid one if it falls in front of you? ?

plumbob

Visit site
There's no way a council is going to say you can go under our bridge but if it collapses on your head we won't accept responsibility,..,...........