Boating stories to celebrate 20 years of YBW please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony_lavelle

Visit site
Declare pleasure craft on voyages leaving or arriving in the UK (C1331)

Have you read the C1331 form? I can immediately see lots of problems:

A. With vessel details. They ask for info such as HIN, IMO and ON, tonnage etc which is often unavailable or liable to be misinterpreted. Must be "complete"!

B. The prohibited items mean that almost all provisions have to be chucked overboard in mid channel, in both directions I suspect. Eg milk, potatoes, meat products. Even the 1977 Fray Bentos pie in the bilge would have to go!

sfellows

Visit site

A. With vessel details. They ask for info such as HIN, IMO and ON, tonnage etc which is often unavailable or liable to be misinterpreted. Must be "complete"!

B. The prohibited items mean that almost all provisions have to be chucked overboard in mid channel, in both directions I suspect. Eg milk, potatoes, meat products. Even the 1977 Fray Bentos pie in the bilge would have to go!

Headline for the form says:
Pleasure craft on non-EU voyages: leaving or arriving in the UK (C1331)
so we can ignore. :cool:

1613565775994.png

penfold

Visit site

Some of the boats I've been on have not been a pleasure, so are presumably exempt. I think carriage of Fray Bentos across the channel is prohibited by article 3 of the 1972 Biological Weapons Convention.

interloper

Visit site
I will apologize in advance for veering off topic as this concerns an article from Yachting Monthly, not this forum.

In 1981, Yachting Monthly had an article that compared the performance of Sadler 32s with four keel variants - deep fin, shallow fin, bilge keel, & lifting keel. I wish I had kept that issue. Few subjects stir more debate.

The findings from the article are summarized at the link below.

https://www.lucasyachting.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/keel-choice.pdf

robertj

Visit site
I was asked once how can you tell a good skipper when sailing with them and which was the best.
That question posed a few recollections of various skipper be them delivery or racing whom I’ve encountered over the years. Three spring to mind. Temperament is the key in my view.
I recall my very first racing skipper in his 30’s, well groomed, always in Musto kit, du Barry boots etc etc., an enthusiastic chap, a good helm but with an annoyingly short tempered if things went wrong which happens on occasions in any race.
Another middle aged, not long term sailing experience but we’ll groomed again to the book, an accomplished racer but again nothing to set the fleet alive about. His attribute was to be even more short tempered than the first.
The third an older chap, quite rough and ready, in his late 60’s, his kit not up to date but certainly serviceable. His boat was not an up to date design which he had a cavalier it’s ok attitude, but in the race his attitude certainly came to the fore, he was far worse than the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Other threads that may be of interest