• UPDATED INFORMATION & ADVICE - PLEASE READ NOW

'I didn't know/I wasn't told' will not be a valid defence if you fail to comply and lose your access to the off-topic area, core topic areas, or the entire YBW forum as a result. Full details can be found here, please read before you proceed.

Boating stories to celebrate 20 years of YBW please.

davierobb

A few years ago we signed up for the classic malts cruise, Oban, Skye and Islay plus stops of your own choosing on route. Our boat was a 60s Snapdragon 26', with four of us on board for two weeks then every bit of free space was used for storage.

My brother in law joined us in Oban and since he had been on the boat a few times then I skipped the loo demo, big mistake. We had anchored just off Oban sailing club on the Fri night. The following morning the cruise was scheduled to start and boats were being decorated with signal flags before a parade lap of Oban Bay.

I was sat in the cockpit trying to listen to the latest weather on the vhf and not really paying attention to the usual boat sounds when I became aware of the sound of the toilet being pumped with the valves still shut. Before I could intervene there was a very loud bang followed by much swearing from the loos occupant. The door opened and out came the brother in law looking like a swamp monster and dripping everywhere. It was easy to see from the debris pattern on his face that he had obviously been facing the toilet when it exploded, As a non swimmer then throwing him in wasn't an option so we rinsed him down with buckets of salt water before sending him ashore for a shower, talk about a walk of shame.

The heads on the snapdragon is huge and we had filled it with all the foul weather gear and much of our provisions for the trip, the inside of the heads and all items stored there were completely covered with the loo contents. We had to wash everything with sea water and had to hang up loads of items on the rigging to dry off.

As we were doing this the parade of yachts passed within a few yards of us, the loo was in the cockpit for open heart surgery as they passed. We got loads of strange looks from the passing yachts. The one way valve had inverted under the pressure and was easily fixed. It was a Simpson Lawrence 401 and forever after it was known as the Shit Slinger 401.

Some time later my brother in law confirmed our suspensions that his lips were not sealed tight when the explosion occurred.

Last edited:

tony_lavelle

Declare pleasure craft on voyages leaving or arriving in the UK (C1331)

Have you read the C1331 form? I can immediately see lots of problems:

A. With vessel details. They ask for info such as HIN, IMO and ON, tonnage etc which is often unavailable or liable to be misinterpreted. Must be "complete"!

B. The prohibited items mean that almost all provisions have to be chucked overboard in mid channel, in both directions I suspect. Eg milk, potatoes, meat products. Even the 1977 Fray Bentos pie in the bilge would have to go!

sfellows

A. With vessel details. They ask for info such as HIN, IMO and ON, tonnage etc which is often unavailable or liable to be misinterpreted. Must be "complete"!

B. The prohibited items mean that almost all provisions have to be chucked overboard in mid channel, in both directions I suspect. Eg milk, potatoes, meat products. Even the 1977 Fray Bentos pie in the bilge would have to go!
Headline for the form says:
Pleasure craft on non-EU voyages: leaving or arriving in the UK (C1331)
so we can ignore. :cool:

1613565775994.png

penfold

Some of the boats I've been on have not been a pleasure, so are presumably exempt. I think carriage of Fray Bentos across the channel is prohibited by article 3 of the 1972 Biological Weapons Convention.

interloper

I will apologize in advance for veering off topic as this concerns an article from Yachting Monthly, not this forum.

In 1981, Yachting Monthly had an article that compared the performance of Sadler 32s with four keel variants - deep fin, shallow fin, bilge keel, & lifting keel. I wish I had kept that issue. Few subjects stir more debate.

The findings from the article are summarized at the link below.

https://www.lucasyachting.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/keel-choice.pdf

robertj

I was asked once how can you tell a good skipper when sailing with them and which was the best.
That question posed a few recollections of various skipper be them delivery or racing whom I’ve encountered over the years. Three spring to mind. Temperament is the key in my view.
I recall my very first racing skipper in his 30’s, well groomed, always in Musto kit, du Barry boots etc etc., an enthusiastic chap, a good helm but with an annoyingly short tempered if things went wrong which happens on occasions in any race.
Another middle aged, not long term sailing experience but we’ll groomed again to the book, an accomplished racer but again nothing to set the fleet alive about. His attribute was to be even more short tempered than the first.
The third an older chap, quite rough and ready, in his late 60’s, his kit not up to date but certainly serviceable. His boat was not an up to date design which he had a cavalier it’s ok attitude, but in the race his attitude certainly came to the fore, he was far worse than the other two.