Boat values

QBhoy

Visit site
Boats like that tend to reach a minimum value. But the most important thing of all, is the engines. Should you have to replace one or even two engines, with even used units...you can almost be certain that you will be at a financial detriment at the end up. The potential buyer of such a boat...cares not a jot for taking up the slack of the financial outlay the seller had to swallow before them.
Personally I’ve never lost money on a boat, but it will never be something you’ll see a huge return on, unless you are very lucky and come across some idiot with selling a rare and sought after thing, with no clue of its value. Not sure there are many owners of such boats around.
A quick example would be if you had a 15k-20k worth typical U.K. built boat from the early 90’s like a sealine 260 with say a single 5.7 merc/VP. That engine fails with the usual frost damage. Should you want to replace it and fitted. A new reman 5.7 might be fitted for around 6-9k. If it’s an MPi or gxi 5.7...you are talking about 12/13k fitted are least. That doesn’t mean you could sell it for 13k over what another the same is advertised for with the original 5.7 still in place. If you get me. All about the engines and their health in boats like these. If they need work or replaced. Forget it. You’re in negative equity for sure.

ari

Visit site
Good morning all.

Just a quick query regarding boats and values. As with classic cars values tend to increase over time and I am curious as to whether this applies to the marine world ? And is there any guides out there for boat values in general

I’m keen to get an old Sunseeker to restore or refit (depending on condition) but am unsure whether it would actually be an investment as such . Not looking to make big profits but at the same time not wanting to spend £10k plus for the boat to be worth £3k. I predominately want a finished boat to enjoy for a few years but have a desire to have a boat that I have restored and saved from the scrap yard. I work for Sunseeker at the moment and do like a lot of the older models.

Many thanks for any advice

Colin

Nope, and nope.

No such thing as 'classic boats' from an investment potential, only from a 'they were nice boats' potential, which sadly isn't worth anything more than a warm glow.

Portofino

Visit site
Nope, and nope.

No such thing as 'classic boats' from an investment potential, only from a 'they were nice boats' potential, which sadly isn't worth anything more than a warm glow.
Thats not my experience.
You might want to speak to the following of Carlo Riva ,s and Mario Amarti + many more builders i listed above ^^^ .

Bit like saying all 2 nd hand cars are worth less and depreciate .....,talk to classic Ferrari owners particularly the 37 surviving GTO owners , Bill Gates and Anthony Bamford to name a couple .

It’s the exact same as the classic car world in terms of desirability feeding the law of supply/ demand , but just a fraction of the size numbers wise .

Not everyone can see that or ever will - perfectly understood, nothing unusual with that Btw .

Aardee

Visit site
Thats not my experience.
You might want to speak to the following of Carlo Riva ,s and Mario Amarti + many more builders i listed above ^^^ .

Bit like saying all 2 nd hand cars are worth less and depreciate .....,talk to classic Ferrari owners particularly the 37 surviving GTO owners , Bill Gates and Anthony Bamford to name a couple .

It’s the exact same as the classic car world in terms of desirability feeding the law of supply/ demand , but just a fraction of the size numbers wise .

Not everyone can see that or ever will - perfectly understood, nothing unusual with that Btw .

Of course you're right at the Riva/ GTO end of the market, but our OP is in Austin Allegro territory to continue the car analogy. There's nothing wrong with an Allegro as an interesting period piece, but restoring one doesn't make sense if you view it purely from a financial perspective.

ari

Visit site
Thats not my experience.

A following yes. Appreciating in value? Don't think so.

Maybe you'll find one or two where someone has spent £100,000 doing up a tatty one and then sells it for £50,000 more than they purchased it for, but that's not quite investment material... :D

It is nothing like the rarified classic car market of Ferrari GTO, E types etc where speculators are buying hoping for an increase in value (thus pushing prices on up). That just doesn't happen with boats.