Boat values

Chawks

Visit site
Good morning all.

Just a quick query regarding boats and values. As with classic cars values tend to increase over time and I am curious as to whether this applies to the marine world ? And is there any guides out there for boat values in general

I’m keen to get an old Sunseeker to restore or refit (depending on condition) but am unsure whether it would actually be an investment as such . Not looking to make big profits but at the same time not wanting to spend £10k plus for the boat to be worth £3k. I predominately want a finished boat to enjoy for a few years but have a desire to have a boat that I have restored and saved from the scrap yard. I work for Sunseeker at the moment and do like a lot of the older models.

Many thanks for any advice

Colin

Portofino

Visit site
It’s very niche + modal specific .
No guide or general rules .
If it was sporty , good looking , ends up not too expensive to maintain after the resto , has a desirable brand , is in a “ they don’t make them like that “ category then the answer to your question is yes ......it’s similar to classic cars .
Rarity is helpful .Thats rare now not numbers produced .

In the Cote d Azur + many other fashionable Med places ( and there are many ) there a bit of a sub market in classic Sunseekers , MonteCarlos and Itama , Riva s , Bertram’s and the like A whole industry of restoration folks + some DIY ers .
Glamorous day boats to go out to popular anchorages and later return to shore side property .

A sub 40 ftr S/ Skr of the Don Shead era fits the criteria .

like C cars originality is king re external appearance .The retro look and colours is part of the appeal .

Mines gone up in value I have been offered between €50\70 K more than I paid for it in 2014 and uber conscious of not trashing it with none original up grades visually .But then Iam into classic cars so know the drill .
eg keeping the seat covers the OEM pattern and colour etc .

What are you thinking about getting from the S/Sker portfolio ?

7FC185A6-1C18-4DD2-A058-43464DFFD361.jpeg

when the qualification to entry is a specific boat type ......kinda tells you something re desirability. :)

Last edited:

BruceK

Visit site
In short no. Not at the budgets you're talking at which I am presuming is either speed boat or something like the Offshore 28 / Portofino 31 of the early 80's. At best you may find it wont depreciate any more but old boats can be very dear to restore let alone maintain and you wont see your money back. Regardless of chic desirability it doesn't translate into money after the fact. But if you can find a good example that you just need to maintain you have a fighting chance not to lose money hand over fist.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Just a quick query regarding boats and values. As with classic cars values tend to increase over time and I am curious as to whether this applies to the marine world ?
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
There's a reason owning a boat is likened to standing in a shower tearing up £50 notes. If you fancy restoring an old boat, do it for your own pleasure because it will be a labour of love rather than money

Chawks

Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. Very helpful.

I’ve seen a Sunseeker Mustang and Mexico for sale needing a fair amount of work and engine. I would aim to keep them as true to original as possible. I’ve seen a up together Mexico at a local brokerage advertised at £15k (whether it sells for that is another thing) and that still needed a fair amount of gel work.

I think it would be more a labour of love than money spinner but if there is potential to make a little bit I would be looking at upgrading to a Hawk model. Or I’d look at other brands as well but working for Sunseeker I’m a little biased.

Chawks

Visit site
Mexico
Hawk 27
Tomahawk 41

Start with the Mexico or buy a ready to go Hawk 27

Attachments

• 57C9F7F0-627D-47D0-B8C5-CB6266A8ADA0.png
    57C9F7F0-627D-47D0-B8C5-CB6266A8ADA0.png
    593.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 39512989-9D29-48B0-8B4D-59B01F0A1F18.png
    39512989-9D29-48B0-8B4D-59B01F0A1F18.png
    567.4 KB · Views: 15
  • A3784E86-5733-4E70-BD72-31978931FB67.png
    A3784E86-5733-4E70-BD72-31978931FB67.png
    753.9 KB · Views: 13

dpb

Visit site
We owned a Portofino 31 for 5 years, selling it in 2012.
Some consider them a bit of a classic.
Lovely boat, sold it for what I paid for it but spent a lot on it during my ownership to keep it right.
Today they seem to be advertised for very much the same money as they were then.
But then again the same could be said of many boats getting on for that sort of age if looked after, even if not thought of as classic.
So to answer your question I would say, Investment, no, fun project yes!

jrudge

Visit site
The “profit” you make is cast the day you buy it and by the price you pay. Just like the motor trade.

Some boats keep their value to a point and in the current market that is propped up by ever rising new prices.

The general odds of making a profit I would say are close to nil. If you buy right you can possibly get you capital money back after a few years excluding all running costs. I spent £50k on my refit. Given I did most of the work myself and bought it right I will probably get most if not all of that back, but that was never the aim. The aim was a boat I wanted made as I wanted it.

Do it because you like to boat.

BruceK

Visit site
Mexico
Hawk 27
Tomahawk 41

Start with the Mexico or buy a ready to go Hawk 27

None of those appear to be scrapyard restoration projects and are more than the 10k you exampled. With the exception of the Tomahawk (which I suspect could go either way) I doubt you will lose value on the hawk or portofino as they've already plateaued out. Just maintenance costs and of course the less desirable (but probably soon to change) petrol engined. The Portofino on twin 5.7's from 89 promises to be thirsty but be quite fun. I'd say that's probably the safest bet here in the UK. If you can find one with AD41's or similar in it for that price you can be more confident.

Chawks

Visit site

The Portofino looks interesting, good find!

The Mexico and Mustang I’ve seen are £1500 with trailers but no engine or drives. Look generally ok with no major structural work needed.

BruceK

Visit site
If you plan to re-engine an inboard boat for the short term, re "a few years" you will be rather hard pressed not to lose money. Lots of it. Much better to overhaul an old engine imo. Not unless you can find an old 2nd hand engine and drive leastways and then you may as well get the boat with it. There is a good reason it's sold for £850 or your 1500. The trailer it comes on soaks up that price. The rest is financially unredeemable and has to be seen as a labour of love only.

Chawks

Visit site
If you plan to re-engine an inboard boat for the short term, re "a few years" you will be rather hard pressed not to lose money. Lots of it. Much better to overhaul an old engine imo. Not unless you can find an old 2nd hand engine and drive leastways and then you may as well get the boat with it. There is a good reason it's sold for £850 or your 1500. The trailer it comes on soaks up that price. The rest is financially unredeemable and has to be seen as a labour of love only.

I believe the yard selling the Mexico and mustang have the engines and drives for both for extra ££s. That would be the way I’d go rather than new /nearly ones.

I think I’m more interested in doing it for a project /hobby rather than to make money. I’m better at spending than making it anyway!

Chawks

Visit site
While I know it's nothing like a Sunseeker and probably doesn't have the style and classic appeal, I've always liked the old Fjords, specially the Fjord Diplomat 30. Here's a great project with all the engineering already done...
Fjord 30 Cabin for sale UK, Fjord boats for sale, Fjord used boat sales, Fjord Motor Boats For Sale FJORD CABIN CRUISER - Apollo Duck

That’s not a bad looking boat . I may be confusing this with another manufacturer but didn’t they use these for round the island race many years ago? Looks a similar design.

BruceK

Visit site
I believe the yard selling the Mexico and mustang have the engines and drives for both for extra ££s. That would be the way I’d go rather than new /nearly ones.

I think I’m more interested in doing it for a project /hobby rather than to make money. I’m better at spending than making it anyway!

Me to. So I speak from experience. Your original premise centred around money loss. Resto's are done for love, not money. Only in very exceptional circumstances will you ever get your money back. In my experience the loss is about 4:1