Boat under 8m for west coast sailing

TernVI

Visit site
On a £5k budget, buy the best thing that comes along not needing too much spent, to get it up to what you think is a sensible spec for those waters.
Most of the boats suggested are ancient and could easily eat the whole budget sorting the rig, sails, gear to a seaworthy state.

scruff

Visit site
Ii had a folksong for 7ish years. Great boats. I had a navik slung of the back and covered thousands of miles the length and breadth of the Scottish West Coast.

Sailed great, felt safe as houses in some boisterous conditions and a good turn of speed.

Do bear in mind that they are tiny inside. I sailed solo but two in the cabin was a Real squeeze on the odd occasion. Barely sitting headroom. They really are tiny.

How about a Westerly Centaur?

SAWDOC

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I wondering if you can offer suggestions for a sailing boat which meets the following criteria:
  • Budget boat
  • Under 8m
  • Suitable for west coast Ireland & Scotland sailing for 2 large adults (both over 6 foot)
  • cruising only
  • comfortable
This will be a third boat so unfortunately needs to be cheap to buy and maintain. I am looking a robust easily kept boat.

Many thanks.
Could I suggest that the under 8 m might be a criteria you could review - there are lots of reasonably priced boats out there these days and your search might be more rewarding if you looked for well equipped low priced boats available locally rather than going for a specific make.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
In my opinion, the combination of 2m headroom and 8m LOA in a yacht is going to result in a big compromise somewhere else, especially sailing sailing ability (too much bulky top hamper and windage) and obviously elegance.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
A Folksong here, but I do reckon that your height criteria might present an issue.
Good luck though!
Coo. I'm pretty sure I saw that one based in Tobermory 30 years ago. I fell in love with the design at first sight and it was a real disappointment to find later on, when I actually had the money to buy one, that it was hopelessly impractical for me.

jamie N

Visit site
My own Folkboat has about 5'10" headroom right at the cabin hatch, by the cooker. I'm 5'9 3/4"s, so it's just another thing that makes my boat perfect for me!
I've also got a cockpit tent which pretty much doubles the 'internal volume' alongside or at anchor.

wanzap1

Visit site
I'm actually giving consideration to a Hunter Horizon 23. Seems nice accommodation for size, appears to sail reasonably well and from what I've read copes okay with weather - within the limits which I am willing to sail!

V1701

Visit site
Bowman 26 has over 6' headroom and as already mentioned Nic 26 too. On the face of it quite similar - long keel, etc. but in reality Bowman is half the weight of the Nic. I dunno what the headroom is in a Centaur but that would definitely do you & shouldn't be too hard to find a decent one for £5k whereas the Bowman & the Nic 26s are quite rare...