Boat under 8m for west coast sailing

wanzap1

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I wondering if you can offer suggestions for a sailing boat which meets the following criteria:
  • Budget boat
  • Under 8m
  • Suitable for west coast Ireland & Scotland sailing for 2 large adults (both over 6 foot)
  • cruising only
  • comfortable
This will be a third boat so unfortunately needs to be cheap to buy and maintain. I am looking a robust easily kept boat.

Many thanks.

RupertW

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I wondering if you can offer suggestions for a sailing boat which meets the following criteria:
  • Budget boat
  • Under 8m
  • Suitable for west coast Ireland & Scotland sailing for 2 large adults (both over 6 foot)
  • cruising only
  • comfortable
This will be a third boat so unfortunately needs to be cheap to buy and maintain. I am looking a robust easily kept boat.

Many thanks.
In terms of robustness (I’ve crossed Biscay in one), and sailing ability in calm and difficult conditions and length of bunks, plus good sitting height, I have one model in mind, but the standing headroom is ludicrously low so I suspect not for you - the Westerly GK24.

wanzap1

Visit site
The GK24 was making the list - head height being the only concern - This is a boat on which I would hope to spend several consecutive days, therefore comfort is important.

wanzap1

Visit site
unfortunately I will need to be under 8m.

I love folkboats - but they are just too much of a squeeze - I am an definitely after GRP. Some of there derivatives are lovely boats but seem to fetch good prices - I wish to be below £5K

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Our daughter just bought a Pandora 700. The berths are enormously long if there are only two of you on board. A half decent one might be £3k+?
Of course it's sitting headroom only and it's an outboard in a well, but the well places the prop immediately in front of the rudder and you've got fin and twin keeled versions.

scottie

Visit site
Hi Guys,

• Budget boat
  • Under 8m
  • cruising only
  • comfortable

Many thanks.
Budget is??

Laminar Flow

Visit site
Well, you could try a Colvic Watson 26. It would tick all your boxes including the delicate question of headroom in 8 meters.
If you do not buy one with bilge keels, add more sail and clean up the rudder and deadwood, they will actually sail quite nicely for a cruiser.

RupertW

Visit site
The GK24 was making the list - head height being the only concern - This is a boat on which I would hope to spend several consecutive days, therefore comfort is important.
I spent 6 weeks honeymoon on one and it seemed very comfortable to us but we were in our twenties