boat refurb thread . Four Winns 235 vista

Dodgy Diver

Visit site
so first job today , find out what has gone wrong with the outdrive , the hand controller won't move

start there I suppose , pulled it apart to find out the grease was rock hard and would not allow anything to move internally to be honest not much to them once they are in bits
image000000.jpg

so stuffed it in a bucket or petrol and cleaned all the gunk off , then new grease and it works a treat . wahoo easy fix I assumed ... errrr no
still cant select gears . pulled the stern drive to find the cable snapped that selects forward and reverse
so 30 mins on google and the new cable and alignment tools will be here Thursday from the states , ( amazon prime )

gave the outdrive a light sanding and a coat of etch primer and black hammerite
that can dry for a few days whilst I await the cable kit
that was about all I achieved this afternoon

Bigplumbs

Visit site
so first job today , find out what has gone wrong with the outdrive , the hand controller won't move

start there I suppose , pulled it apart to find out the grease was rock hard and would not allow anything to move internally to be honest not much to them once they are in bits
View attachment 129178

so stuffed it in a bucket or petrol and cleaned all the gunk off , then new grease and it works a treat . wahoo easy fix I assumed ... errrr no
still cant select gears . pulled the stern drive to find the cable snapped that selects forward and reverse
so 30 mins on google and the new cable and alignment tools will be here Thursday from the states , ( amazon prime )

gave the outdrive a light sanding and a coat of etch primer and black hammerite
that can dry for a few days whilst I await the cable kit
that was about all I achieved this afternoon

That is more than some Boat Owners (Who do no DIY) achieve in a lifetime :confused:

I must say you have dived right in on a very cold day. I assume you will antifoul paint the outdrive at some point

Dodgy Diver

Visit site
That is more than some Boat Owners (Who do no DIY) achieve in a lifetime :confused:

I must say you have dived right in on a very cold day. I assume you will antifoul paint the outdrive at some point
yes ill be re doing the whole underside , but I have no intentions to leave it in the water for more than a week .
new batteries ordered , got to try to work out how to drain the old fuel and replace , I cant even find the fuel tank ha ha , it seems to be under the centre bed with no access

Bigplumbs

Visit site
yes ill be re doing the whole underside , but I have no intentions to leave it in the water for more than a week .
new batteries ordered , got to try to work out how to drain the old fuel and replace , I cant even find the fuel tank ha ha , it seems to be under the centre bed with no access

If you will only ever leave it in for a week no need to Antifoul. If you do Antifoul you mist not put the same type of Antifoul on the Hull as the outdrive.

Can you get to the fuel line near the engine. If so can you connect this and connect a small in line pump to pump it out.

To test things I would buy somthing like this linked below so that you can get things running good before you move to the horrible job of the fuel tank

Hulk 30 Litre Plastic Marine Outboard Fuel Tank Yacht Sailing Boat Fishing AU2 | eBay

Dodgy Diver

Visit site
I cant actually find how to access the tank , I must be missing something , I cant believe its built in to the boats structure
but equally I cant find it , the hose goes through a wall then ??????

QBhoy

Visit site
Hi. Your trim tabs are hydraulic and that’s what the buttons on dash are.
your engine is likely the Ford based 5.8l engine. Not that common but service parts are available for sure.
your fuel tank is likely accessible by looking under the mattress or via hatch in bulkhead in the aft berth I’d think. Most similar boats are at least.
holley carbs are great most of the time…but can see issues and need full rebuild in situations like yours perhaps. Can take a bit of setting up too. I’d pay very close attention to that OMC outdrive too.
Good luck.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I cant actually find how to access the tank , I must be missing something , I cant believe its built in to the boats structure
but equally I cant find it , the hose goes through a wall then ??????

Some boats have quite large (120 ltrs +) Ali tanks that are made to the shape of the hull and are quite shallow and under the floor. They can be quite large because an engine like you have would drink Petrol at an alarming rate

Dodgy Diver

Visit site
your engine is likely the Ford based 5.8l engine. Not that common but service parts are available for sure.
your fuel tank is likely accessible by looking under the mattress or via hatch in bulkhead in the aft berth I’d think. Most similar boats are at least.
holley carbs are great most of the time…but can see issues and need full rebuild in situations like yours perhaps. Can take a bit of setting up too. I’d pay very close attention to that OMC outdrive too.
Good luck.

I’ve ordered a new edelbrock marine carb with electric choke from the states.
I’d rather know it’s good and won’t give me issues later on. Thanks

Dodgy Diver

Visit site
so a little bit further
ive found a access hole for the fuel tank sender and pipe , its a aluminium tank but it should never be removed with out gutting the floor out
tank.jpg

got the new vhf radio up and running
is there a way to test if it works inland ?

vhf.jpg

the cockpit switches are all damaged so they are all going in the bin

witch.jpg

thats started but will take a couple of evenings to complete

thats it for today I'm afraid

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Should not test radio on land it will work they always do

Have you registered the radio with Offcom and got the MMSI.

you will also need to do a radio course in order to use it legally

Dodgy Diver

Visit site
I have the Mmsi. I didn’t want to touch any buttons untill I had read the manual as I know imo lot get 1 chance to enter the number. Vhf course is booked for mid feb

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I have the Mmsi. I didn’t want to touch any buttons untill I had read the manual as I know imo lot get 1 chance to enter the number. Vhf course is booked for mid feb

Yes you get only one chance re the MMSI but it does ask you several times to check so it is not as scary as it sounds. Just do it in a calm environment without distractions in your lug hole ;)

Dodgy Diver

Visit site
not much to update , did some more cable tracing , the bilge blower is a bit poo to be honest once I found the cabling , so new high powered blower coming this weekend
the engine bilge pump is not working , ( added to list )
fitted ber waterproof speakers and bluetooth stereo today

odd thing is there are no navigational lights at all on the boat . another job for the list

Dodgy Diver

Visit site
Good luck.

from what I can find online they only had 2 real faults and both are caused by a poor shift cable , either seizing or badly adjusted
most of what I have read says they are pretty good . I have just ordered the correct oil and the special pump for filling it with , the cable and alignment tools turned up today from the states . so the weekends job is to replace the cable and refit the drive with a oil change
and hope all is happy with it

anything else I should look for please